Sign in to follow this  
Catherine P.

Am I over oiling my machine?

Each day when I start quilting I have some oil on the metal light shield on the front of the machine. It?s not enough to drip but it?s enough that I need to take a rag and wipe it off. Also there is evidence of oil on the handles where they attach to the head. Come to think of it this could be why the handles don?t stay tightly in position.

I do the touch test on the wicks on the machine top. They are usually mostly dry so I add a drop of oil.

What do you think?

Catherine P.

Millennium

Nevada, IA

Guest Linda S

Hmmm - I'm not sure about this one, but it seems if you have that much oil coming out, something is wrong. Either you ARE oiliing too much or you've got a leak. I'd say the first is probably likely, but you'd probably want to call Connie or Mark and ask. I don't oil my machine every day if I haven't done a fair amount of quilting with it the day before. Say I cleaned and oiled and then just did a practice pass with a panto before being called away, I wouldn't oil the next day.

Linda

Catherine: My Millennium does that and so did my Ult. I. I don't think you're oiling it too much but you can take that little plate off the back side (where the bobbin winder is located) and see if there's oil pooling in there. Otherwise, just get in the habit of wiping down the metal plate over the light. Every now and then I forget and . . it will drip!:(

Judy Laquidara

Brownwood, TX

APQS Millennium

Blog: http://www.patchworktimes.com

Catherine,

I have the same problem you have with oil on the light shield and where the handles attach. I just wipe it off. I also oil my machine when the wicks feel dry.

Judy

Judy Castleman

\'Judy Does Quilting\'

San Jose, CA