Stitch Length Changes While Stitching

While quilting yesterday, I would stop the machine and switch from manual to regulated mode, depending on the portion of the quilt I was working on without cutting the threads, then turn the machine off and switch back to manual mode. I noticed the stitch length was mostly extremely tiny in either mode while set on about 10 spi, but then would revert to the 10spi occasionally for a very short section of stitching before reverting back to the very tiny stitches. 

Not sure if any of this will make a difference, but I did a deep clean this morning, changed the needle, and adjusted the stitch regulator's rubber wheel on the left rear wheel also, since it seemed really loose.  I also cleaned all the wheels, rails, etc. 

I'm off to load a test quilt and see what happens, but suggestions are welcome. 
Thanks! 

If this still hasn't helped, call APQS.  There are adjustments they can walk you through to adjust the stitches. 

19 hours ago, HelenS said:

While quilting yesterday, I would stop the machine and switch from manual to regulated mode, depending on the portion of the quilt I was working on without cutting the threads, then turn the machine off and switch back to manual mode. I noticed the stitch length was mostly extremely tiny in either mode while set on about 10 spi, but then would revert to the 10spi occasionally for a very short section of stitching before reverting back to the very tiny stitches. 

Not sure if any of this will make a difference, but I did a deep clean this morning, changed the needle, and adjusted the stitch regulator's rubber wheel on the left rear wheel also, since it seemed really loose.  I also cleaned all the wheels, rails, etc. 

Thanks! 

19 hours ago, HelenS said:

Thanks! 

Update:

My problem was definitely the top encoder wheel being loose. I totally detailed everything and tightened the rubber wheel. Problem solved!

My machine was a demo, 2021, purchased this year. I've run into a few things that maybe weren't checked before shipping, even had the front carriage wheel bar fall off, so guess it wasn't checked, either. I've gone through what I think is everything that could be a moving part or not, made sure all the screws were tightened, etc, while the machine was off the carriage, used lock tight on the screws as suggested by APQS, etc. so hope I'm good to go for a long time now. 

Thanks for the input.