14 ft to 10 ft

I am about to pick up my purchase of 2005 millie with a 14 ft table.

Please help me...the table nees to be cut to 10 ft. I have a machinist i will take it to. Can some please tell what to exactly say to the machinst what has to be done to accomplish this. I am as green as they come and havent even seen my purchase yet so i need to know what to exaclty say so there isnt any mistakes.

I would trade if someone had a 10ft table or even purchase if the price was right.

Thankyou for any advice to make this go smoothly.

I think just telling the welder that you want the table (actually the roller length) shortened to 10 feet.  You need to know exactly how long you want the completed table to be.  Typically table length is the roller length, not the entire table( a 10' table would probably be more than 11' long).  In your case, since the table will be custom, you can specify any roller length you want (e.g. 10'2", 9'9", 10'10" etc).  I would suggest you make the rollers as long as your space will permit.  When you tell the welder how long you want the table, he/she can figure out how long the individual parts should be.  Delivering the table assembled would probably be most helpful.  If you can't do that, at least provide detailed photos of the assembled table.  Special roller lengths aren't anything of a problem because you can make your own leaders, and cut any length you want.  In fact you're probably better off making your own.  That way you can make them any size you want, and out of any fabric you like.  In my case, the rollers are 12' long, so I made the leaders 11' long.  I bought 4 yards of 72" canvas duck, cut in half for the top and backing roller, and another 4 yards which I cut to 48" for the take-up roller.  The extra length (depth?) makes it easier for me to pin, and sew to the end of any quilt.  After cutting the leaders, I surged the edges, and sewed one inch "pockets" on the pinning edge.  Good luck.  Jim

• 2 months later...

Did you have good luck getting your frame cut down? I have found an APQS Liberty in my price range but the table is 14'. The maximum I can fit in my room is 10'. I don't know if I should jump on it or let it pass because of the frame size. 

I don't know whether you'll get a reply or not (you might want to personal message her), but if you've found a machine you like at a price you like, I wouldn't let the table length stand in the way of a purchase.  All you need to do is find a local welder/fabricator, and follow the instructions I offered above.  I haven't had this done because I did all the work on my table myself, but I shouldn't think it would cost more than  $200 or $300.  Good luck.  Jim