Sign in to follow this  
Myrna Ficken

Karen McTavish

This is on Karen's website: www.designerquilts.com

Karen's New Tat's

I mentioned using my designs for tattoos in The Secrets of Elemental Quilting and now I've gone ahead and done it.

These feathers are my own designs. My right arm is still being worked on.

Karen McTavish

McTavish Quilting Studio

Private Classes and Workshops, APQS Dealer

728 N 18th Ave East

Duluth, MN 55812

PH#: (218) 391-8218

Fax: (218) 525-0017

APQS showroom in Duluth MN

www.designerquilts.com

kmctavish@designerquilts.com

Karens Tat.bmp

Myrna Ficken A Quilter's Choice - APQS West, 5787 S. Gallup, Littleton, CO 80120;  Store 435-414-2026 Mobile 435-229-2703  myrnaf@q.com  www.aquilterschoice.com community. Look me up on Facebook   A Quilter's Choice - APQS West

I met Karen McTavish at MQS in her demo class. Just loved it. At that point the feathers were just outlined on her arms, good to see them filled in. Good for you Karen. I'm toooo chicken to get a tatoo!

Renee Henderson

Covered Wagon Quilts

Gilbert, AZ

480-813-4503

Freedom SR 2007

Well, I know that some people wear their heart on their sleeve (me included). And, it looks like Karen is permanently wearing her heart on her sleeve now, too. ;) (but don't do any trapunto, please...lol!) :P just kidding...

Cool! Is she going to be on Miami Ink? They should feature her! :) Very original; very unique, very fun, very pretty...(just like Karen).

"Of all the things a woman's hands have made---The quilt so lightly thrown across her bed---The quilt that keeps her loved ones warm---Is woven of her love and dreams and thread." excerpt from The Romance of the Patchwork Quilt by Carrie A. Hall

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: 

Shana in North Pole, Alaska ---- The Farthest North APQS Sales Rep  
 Always quilting with her faithful friend, Mademoiselle Madeleine Millennium, Bliss-fully skating gracefully...and having lots of fun with IntelliQuilter

Its been fun to go thru this process of getting your quilting pattens tattooed on your arms....It kick started a little creative thing in my quilting. After I got one arm completely finished, the next quilt I started went completely insanely creative and artistic -out of the blue -and nothing changed in my life but the tattoos. Werid huh?

Karen McTavish McTavish Quilting Studio - APQS Duluth APQS Showroom www.mctavishquilting.com (218) 391-8218 karen@mctavishquilting.com

Thanks Myrna for doing that post for me....I couldnt figure out how to add a photo from a hotel's computer. I am on the road in Utah this weekend - Can't wait to teach at Myrna's in December!! (letting the cat out of the bag....)

Karen

Karen McTavish McTavish Quilting Studio - APQS Duluth APQS Showroom www.mctavishquilting.com (218) 391-8218 karen@mctavishquilting.com

Talk about getting yanked out of lurkdom! These are awesome! Sooooooo feminine, too! You really came up with a great design, Karen. How long did it take to do one side? I really like the shading in the design, really gives it depth.

7CB1BF7B399CF481C4AED78FE8002A31.png

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

HEY Karen, Good to see you here on the post. I can't believe you are in Utah and still so far away, that stinks. I would love to see you. But yes Karen is coming to teacher here at my place in December. It will be a over the top I'm sure :P Can't wait. we will post dates.

Myrna

Myrna Ficken A Quilter's Choice - APQS West, 5787 S. Gallup, Littleton, CO 80120;  Store 435-414-2026 Mobile 435-229-2703  myrnaf@q.com  www.aquilterschoice.com community. Look me up on Facebook   A Quilter's Choice - APQS West

The tattoo was outlined first on each arm - that took 3 hours each....they claim the outlines are the worst part of the entire tattoo process.....(looked like a outline of a stencil drawing after its marked on fabric!) and I couldnt speak during the outline phase - actually could NOT talk - the artist would ask me questions....and I couldnt form words to answer him (trying to be a tough girl wasnt working anymore after the first hour - the outline hurt...period...there were several moments where I said "WHY AM I DOING THIS-Freaking-OUCH!").

Then the shading was done in two 3 hour sessions....pain not brutal compaired to the outline.....didnt hurt as bad at all. I could form words during the shading phase.

They call what I got being"half-sleeved" - that's tattoo talk dont cha know. A "full sleeve" is the entire arm. And if you got your entire body done- well that's a "Suit"......anyway - I digress with my new found lingo.....I heard a guy say "I am working on my suit". Kinda gross......

So to answer your question, with one arm finished, it took 9 hours.....and I have another 6 hours to go on the other arm and then I am done done done.

The first thing I thought when I saw this was "Ohhhhh...I want!". (right, at almost 53 I would look good with tats...:D ). Now I'm leaning towards "Nope!". I can hear the battle in your mind, "Maybe we could do them smaller, or maybe just one side."

You do realize that you are now obligated to teach in sleeveless tops only! Everyone is going to want to see! Or you could go take striptease classes next for those days that sleeves are required but viewer demand is high!

You are so much fun, Karen!

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Hey - 53 is not too old for a tat. 3 years ago I got a butterfly on my ankle. Last year I got a ladybug sitting on a leaf on the top of my foot (really cute). My husband says he's not going to let me go to Calif. to see my kids alone anymore. With the ladybug tat, my grandaughter went with me and got stars on her foot. We both got into trouble with my daughter. My grandaughter was 20 by the way, not really young. :P

03054E56BFC543ABA37D15125B7D7D77.png

APQS Millie (no computer)

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should just relax and get used to it. -- Robert Heinlein

Circle Lord Consultant

lyondenquilting.blogspot.com

http://community.webshots.com/user/powhatantwo

Pristine.....don't know that I could call myself pristine!;) Then again, I've been by myself for 9 years now so maybe I'm reverting to pristine!! :D

LOL Kenna

Myrna

I saw the laughter, Mary Beth, I was giggling so hard I was crying! You always make me laugh! Thanks! I've been needing some of that!