How do I adjust the table, carriage and wheels?

APQS

Adjusting The Table

While it is very important to keep everything level, we are also finding that it is very important to have the width of the table (outside of rail to outside of rail) the same width all the way down the table.

From time to time the table may loosen up a little, just from normal wear. If your table width varies even 1/16 of an inch, the wheels will not give enough to compensate, making it hard to move the carriage in these areas.

The best way to fix this problem is to go the length of the table and loosen all the nuts on one side of the table. Then go back down the table, have someone hold a tape measure in the same position across each of the cross tubes, and tighten the nuts so the table measures 23 3/4" across all of the cross tubes.

Adjusting The Carriage

Carriages can also be slightly twisted. To fix this problem, loosen two nuts on one side of the carriage. The weight of the machine will level the carriage out. Then snug the bolts back up.

Adjusting The Wheels

The wheels should turn smoothly when you move the machine. The lip of the wheel should rest on the carriage and the table rails. If the wheel is too snug, the rails will appear to be resting tightly into the curved part of the wheel.

To make adjustments to the carriage, stand on the free ?hand side of the machine to begin. Always turn the cams counter-clockwise, even if you have to go one full turn!!

Also, note that the cams should be fairly snug and somewhat difficult to turn freely with a wrench. Never hold the 7/16" bolt that is through the wheel and underneath the adjusting cams while making adjustments or you could strip out the cam.

When you look down at the adjusting cams on the front of the carriage, the narrow part (that's the part of the cam with the shortest distance between the hole in the middle of the cam to the cam's outer edge) of both cams should be pointing toward 8 - 9 o'clock (if straight back represents 12 o'clock). The loosest setting would be reached by turning the cam until the narrow part is aligned with "6 o'clock". Turning the cam until the narrow part aligns with "12 o'clock" would create the tightest setting.

To adjust the machine head, stand on the pantograph side of the machine. The front and real axles' adjusting cams will be on the right side. The narrow part of the cams should be pointing near 5 o'clock.

Once you've positioned the cams on the carriage and the machine head, make sure the adjustments are secure by placing a 9/16" wrench on each cam to hold it in position, and then tightening the gold bolt that extends through the wheel with a 7/16" wrench. If the gold bolt is loose, the cams will not stay in place and maintain the proper adjustment.

If the machine still doesn't move smoothly with these adjustments, something else is wrong. Maybe there is a bad carriage wheel, or another adjustment can be made ? like taking out a washer or adding one somewhere. Call us - APQS can help!

Dawn Cavanaugh

National Director of Education

APQS

1-800-426-7233

dawn@apqs.com

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I just rec'd my machine and have it set up and running. My problem is my floor is unlevel (basement) and I am short. I am not able to get the legs any lower. Do you have any suggestions (growing taller is not an options at my age I am shrinking)

Thanks

Melora

Archived