Machine Maintenance - Wax the rails?

APQS

This is not necessary...the reason we originally said to do this was simply to keep oxidation down.

While some quilters choose to do this to slow down the oxidation on a very limited basis (only after they have thoroughly cleaned the aluminum tracks, carriage rails and wheels with rubbing alcohol and a soft rag), we never wax our tables at the factory or for shows.

Over-waxing can also cause problems. It is important to wipe the rails down and keep them clean (free of dirt and thread). If your machine moves that hard, something is not adjusted right! Call and we can do some trouble shooting together!

Dawn Cavanaugh

National Director of Education

APQS

1-800-426-7233

dawn@apqs.com

Thanks for this info, Dawn.

I quit waxing my rails after a build-up of white residue. The rails have remained clean and smooth with a regular (daily and after each quilt) wipe of a clean rag, or tissue, dusting and occasionally a cleaning with a spray of WD-40 on a paper towel. Follow that with a clean dry towel, paper or tissue.

Thanks! ~~ Eva H.

Guys,

You know how we are supposed to flush the bobbin area out with WD-40 daily, Well use a paper towel to hold around the area when you run the stuff off. Use that paper towel to wipe down all rails (table and carriage). Know if I can always remember to do it every day instead of thinking that I will come back later and do that!

The recent Jamie Wallen DVD tells to wipe the rails with 'silver polish'....

Is there any advantage at all to wiping them with ANYTHING? I would think

if you just do like Sue says...wipe them with a paper towel before start up

with a wisp of WD-40 on the towel, should be suffice. Inquiring minds want to know...ML

APQS is telling us in the initial post on this topic to use rubbing alcohol and a soft rag to clean the rails. I don't have my machine yet, (pre-newbie), but it seems that if that is what they are telling us to do, that would probably the best idea for the APQS machines. I think other manufacturer's might use a little different material to make their rails so this could vary from brand to brand. Jamie uses an A-1 so that could be ok for that brand. I'd be afraid of WD-40 or anything else that could leave a residue that might get on a quilt or gum up the wheels. Alcohol evaporates away and leaves nothing. Just trying to understand, why anything other than the recommened alcohol?:o

Keenan,

Even though Jamie has an A-1, he had an Ult when he started, and waxed those rails. He does recommend waxing rails for all machines, but A-1, like APQS does not recommend it. A-1 anodizes their rails, so oxidation is not a problem.

HTH!

Brenda J

A-1 Elite (Dealer)

Kenna,

Waxing the rails helped slow down the oxidation process. It also reduced friction between the wheels and aluminum rails. The wheels that APQS now uses have greatly reduced the "friction factor", making waxing no longer necessary.

I no longer wax my rails, but DO keep them clean by wiping every day, as well as wiping out the groove inside each wheel. Occasionally, if I notice heavy build-up of black residue on the wheels, I will use the rubbing alcohol to remove it from the wheels and rails. Then I'll buff the rails again with a soft, lint-free cloth.

Works for me!

Dawn

THANK YOU! I had it in my mind that putting something on the rails or wheels would just make them so slick that the wheels would just slide intead of rolling and cause missed stiches or something. And then the residue build up on the wheels, and maybe getting on the quilts....now I have a giant light bulb over my head! (need a light bulb smiley!)

Hmmm, I've been using spray Silicon. It seems to work well for me.

I spray a little on a scrap batting and wipe the rail, then polish it with another clean, dry scap of batting. Makes the machine run smoother on the rails.

I don't remember who suggested that one. Maybe I'll switch off and try the WD-40 once in a while to clean the rails too.

If there's any problem with using the Silicon, I sure hope someone informs me. I'd hate to damage my machine!!!!!!!

My machine is a 2003. I clean mine with alcohol and also the gooves in the wheels --there I use a Q-Tip. Then I wipe the rails with a piece of batting that has been sprayed with spray furniture polish. This seems to help the wheels glide a little smoother and also stops the black gunk from the rails getting on my clothes. If I just do the alcohol I still get the black lines on my jeans. jeri

I've used a silicone in a little squirt bottle...can't recall the name without making this body get up and go look..ugh!..but it's to help your needles/sciccors, whatever work better I've put a couple drops between thumb and forefinger and run on the rails and then rubbed it off with batt scraps, and I THINK it runs smoother...and as long as I THINK it does, we're

a whirlwind...gotta go load another quilt...have a good week-end.

• 2 months later...

Hi all. Ok, now I'm new at all this, having just got my preloved machine. Please tell what I should do each day to keep the machine running in optimal condition. I do clean out the fluff and lint, etc, do I also need to wd-40 the bobbin case area every day as well and oiling the bobbin case???. It is all confusing as with my old machine I just cleaned it out with a soft paint brush and away I went as the machine self-oiled. Is there a section on the site to read/download on maintenance. I've been told things, but it seems to dissappear out of the brain. I'm not very mechanical and would really love to learn what I need to, so I can not have to relay on a service man. Thanks in advance for any advice this new owner receives.

Hi Vanessa. Congrats on your machine. I think you will be OK with just doing WD40 and oiling the bobbin case after finishing each quilt, or after a few bobbin changes. It depends on how busy you are with the quilting. There is a whole section on this site on how to maintain your machine. It's called "FAQ...Quilting How To Guides" and is on the main page where the forums are listed.

Here is the link: http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/index.php

• 10 months later...
Originally posted by Katydids

The WD-40 is just a cleaner. It is used to clean out the bobbin area. You need to wipe this out and then always follow that with the oil. It is NOT intended to replace the machine oil.

I've used WD-40 for other things but never as a cleaner. I guess I'm wondering why it would be considered a cleaner when it feels like oil?

I guess the better word to use is WD40 is a "solvent" which is used to disolve or remove gunk or build up (i.e. it cleans) things like metals and plastics and other things. It is a solvent that has an oily-like residue to it so it cleans and lubricates at the same time.

Definitely after cleaning with WD 40 you should always use machine oil for the bobbin assembly.

Because WD40 is a chemically based product, I would never use it to clean anything unless it is specified or recommended. There is an urban legend email flying around that says WD40 is made of fish oil and to rub it on elbows to eliminate arthritis pain, or keep insects from biting. Not so! It's basically Stoddard Solvent which is the same stuff paint thinner is made from. I wouldn't rub paint thinner on my skin for insects and arthritis! :P

Here is the WD40 web site with more information, and the MSDS info is always good to know, too.

http://www.wd40.com/faqs/

Archived