New Quilt Photo

dsc1923ks7.jpg

I know you can't see the quilting very well but I'm really proud of this quilt because I used everything I learned from all you guys here. This was the first time I used the Mark-b-Gone blue marking pen and it washed out like magic. I was a little disappointed with the pounce powder - my blue didn't wash out on a test and when I tried the white it flew off like dust when I started quilting (I didn't want to try using hair spray to fix it.) My batting was 100% cotton, mid-loft and everything looks so flat compared to my last quilt which was made with poly batting. I thought cotton would be better but I miss the loft. Next time I'll try wool - natural fiber and nice loft:D I used the Bottom Line thread from Super Threads, oh my god I love this thread! Fabrics from Amy Butler and Denise Schmidt and pattern from Better Homes and Garden. I thought this might be a fun quilt for beginners because it sews up quickly so you can get to the fun part sooner, practicing on your beautiful longarms.

Kathy,

I'm on my lunch-hour and my company does not let webshots photos thru the network but I will take a look when I get home. I love it when folks share.

I wanted to comment about the batting. I love the way quilting looks when I use poly batting but I love the way it feels (and drapes) when I use cotton. Yes, it is thinner but I love the way you can conform it to the shape you watn.

Now the wool batting. I have used it on one quilt. I used the Dream Wool from Quilter's Dream and it quilts up just beautiful. I have washed the quilt 3 or 4 times and have not noticed any shrinkage. Great stuff.

I hope htat you will post a photo when you do your next quilt.

My batting of choice is Tuscany Wool by Hobbs. For years I used 80/20 Heirloom by Hobbs which has a little loft but the wool is just awesome. Be careful to not just go out and buy a wool batting by Hobbs because the wool batting that they had up until just a few months ago was very very different and about 1/3 the thickness of this new stuff, it has to be TUSCANY wool. I occasionaly use a poly batt from a customer but it shifts really easily and I hate it. Try taking it between your fingers and pressing hard while shifting it, half of it just slides over. I found myself getting the batting (the cheap poly) sometimes bunching up and making little bulges especially if I was doing a fairly busy fill and couldn't figure out what was going on until I discovered that it will slide and shift. Awhile back I was talking to Sue Schmeiden (where I got my zippers) and she said that they only use a double layer of Hobbs poly down for customers quilts. She said the double layer gives great loft and if the customer has wavy borders it gets hidden in the loft. So I bought a bolt but haven't used it yet. The difference between the cost of a double layer of poly down and wool isn't that much so I've just been using the wool so far. Hope this helps you, I remember starting quilting and hating not having the loft to show off the quilting. That's why I went searching for more loftier battings.

Cher

Dore Lake, Sask.

I just heard about a silk batting a couple weeks ago, wonder if you've tried that.... Sounds like a dream, the way it was described. I'm going to try it soon. I think I will make this quilt, Kathy. I love your colors, they seem to just kind of float in the white there, sort of like flowers in the clouds.... I have been thinking I'd make a whole cloth just to practice on, but then this idea is better to me. I will get extremely bored with just one color. Thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks so much for all the nice replies. :D

Patty, I was given a swatch of silk batting at Road to California, and I still haven't given it a try but I've read its the batting of choice for hand quilters because it is the easiest to push the needle through by hand. I held a quilt made with silk batting at the vendor's booth and it was a very elegant feeling, the quilt just sort of puddles on its own, it has that much drape, and I love that, when a quilt just sort of does that. I pieced it together in about two days, it goes super fast - I thought someone might like this pattern as a practice quilt - I'd just want to run around on it like a race car with a long arm. It came from Better Homes and Gardens? American Patchwork and Quilting Magazine(August 2006 Issue 81).

Cher, I have a package of the Tuscany Wool in my sewing room and I've been so afraid to try it because I live in 100F + heat all summer long but I'm dying to try it now for the loftiness, thanks so much for giving me the inspiration to give it a try finally on my next quilt. I was such a do-do bird on this one, I actually pre-shrunk the batting thinking it would give me that really nice taught look after the quilt comes off the frames when I see all your quilts in photos, but it just flattened everything, phew, that was a disappointment, but the colors make me happy still.

Satu, thanks so much for your note, I made this for myself but the more I worked on it the more I realized, oh my goodness, this would match my dad's house perfectly, but I couldn't part with it, so I kept it.

Hester/Linda, my goodness, I had not realized there were kindred quilting spirits so close by to where I live. I'm in Cucamonga. Do you have any favorite quilt shops I haven't heard about? I'm dying to branch out.

Laurie, you gave me the shock of my life, oh my goodness, its so interesting to see 'my quilt' in other colors! :P I love Flea Market Fancy by Denise Schmidt. There is a large collection of it still available at The Tall Mouse in Yorba Linda if anyone is trying to find some. I'll leave a link here to the store just in case it turns out to be helpful to someone:

http://www.tallmouse.com/ I love the way you quilted the quilt, oh my, I wish I had seen yours first for inspiration. I still don't have that large of a stencil collection so I just used the few ones I had that fit the space. I am wondering if you did yours free hand, it is just too incredible, you are very talented! (I'll put a photo of the motifs I used below.)

I hope everyone is staying cool today!

Thanks again for all your replies.

dsc1949copyaf1.jpg

Hey, do you all Calif. gals remember or ever heard of a quilt store by the name of "Woof and Warp", I think in Irvine or Newport Beach, or somewhere in that area... years ago? I used to go there in my college days and dreeeeeeeeeam of being a quilter. Sigh..... It was a really neat store, which I think had a big loom in it, which is where it got its name. Wonder if it's still around..... probably not, like everything else from those days, it's all changed I bet. Just a thought. STill love your quilts. So cute!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived