An "Enterprising" Ebayer

I guess I'll be the snitch here. I was browsing Ebay and noticed that someone is selling 10' hand drawn pantographs. One of them is Chantilly Lace by Norma Sharp and the others, though I didn't look them up, look very familiar also. If anyone out there knows Norma or how to get in touch with her please let her know that someone is selling her copyrighted pattern for a profit. Here's the item # for the Chantilly Lace pattern that she's selling:

If you go to Ebay you can just copy and paste it into a search box; take a look at her other panto's for sale too. Some people just have way too much nerve.

Cathie

Yikes!

I've been on ebay in the past and found a seller auctioning off a quilt kit -- it had photo copies of a pattern from a buggy barn book along with her fabric. I've also seen a couple of quilt kit auctions with a copied Thimbleberries pattern. When I emailed the seller to inquire about the auction, and I discovered the "facts" the sellers were surprised to learn that what they were doing was illegal. Fortunately, this selling practice on ebay is the exception, not the norm. I suppose the best thing to do is report this practice to ebay or to the owner of this copyright.

Ouchie ouch! Cathie, I just logged into ebay and not only is this person selling Chantilly Lace, she's got about 10 other hand drwan pantographs on her "list" of auctions, too! Whooopsie. :o I don't have many pantos, and I don't recognize these... are they copies from someone else's design? I am guessing she's probably cluless about what she's doing is wrong.

I don't know about the other patterns but I saw the Chantilly Lace on had 6 bids about 2 minutes before the auction closed. The others may have been close to the same time. I sent the seller an email saying that it looked just like the Norma Sharp Chantilly Lace and did he have anymore. I wanted to see what he had to say. No response thus far.

Linda,

You sound like me only I do this with sewing machines. Morning ritual with coffee, check APQS Chat, then go to e-bay and try to stop scammers on Jamome 11000's and Bernina 440's. Unbelieveable what these people do. I sold a Janome 11000 recently on e-bay and someone actually took my pictures, what I had to say about the machine and was trying to sell it. I turned them in but how many people got took before it was pulled. Sad isn't it.

When I bought my first long-arm, there were 31 patterns offered. I bought all of them. When I received them, they were all hand drawn. I had no clue they were copies of Normas patterns. After a while I noticed some of the same patterns offered by Gammill but they were very neat looking. That's when I discovered that they had been copied. I have since replaced these patterns directly from Norma and she told me she was aware of the knock-offs, and had dealt with the problem. Sad this happens. I still have my knock-offs in a bag so they weren't mine but I bet whoever sold those patterns got them from the same long-arm dealer I got mine from. That alone stopped me from ever thinking of replacing my original machine with another from them.

Archived