GOOD and BAD SEWING TOOL PURCHASE(S)

quilterscafe - what did you replace Golden Threads with??

Teresa, that's my goal too! LOL!!

Cathey, that's almost enough to make me go out and buy one of those today. But... I've resisted those so far because I'm worried I'll just poke myself over and over when I reach for pins without looking, which I'm sure nobody else does, LOL! or I'll pick up too many at once, which I'm sure no one does with a tomato cushion, right? :cool:

I got a call from my LQS the other day telling me the Clover rotary and new ruler I ordered are in. I ordered the rotary because it has a push button that's no where near the blade, and I've been using the original Olfa's all this time. I'm SO worried I'll slip when closing it some day and shave off half my thumb! I bet that will be the best purchase. I used one in the class I took recently with Sue Pattell, the SnW Posies class. It was a dream.... :) The new ruler was because the 24" one I've always had was a cheap purchase by my sweet, cheapskate DH, when he bought me all my first rotary stuff waaaaaay back when, and this ruler does not line up exaclty with the Olfa mat and it bends quite a lot. Also the Olfa ruler has those ucky yellow lines all over it, which make it hard to see what you're doing, so I ordered a different kind with white lines. Can hardly wait to get my new stuff and try it out!

Thanks for the great topic, Bette!

Originally posted by chickenscratch

Cathey, I have one of those, and I love it. I got mine at Walmart in the auto section. I think it was abou $4 or so.

And yes, Terri, they do tend to fall off the roller when you advance the quilt. I've done it too.

I'll bet Gina got the ones she sold me for $10 at walmart too. hahahaha Last night I had both of them sitting on top of the quilt top roller when I advanced the quilt. One fell off and the other one stayed on--upside down! :)

I love "Half Square Triangulations" CD by Bear Paw productions. If I have many HST to make I just type in the size and out spits a sheet of computer paper with the right sized triangles. If you make one and it's off a hair, just choose the next 1/8 inch smaller or larger.

I love the Eleanor Burns goose rulers. I have even resized and entire quilt so I could use the rulers (Unfortunately they only come in a few sizes, but they are commonly used sizes)

For people who don't like paper piecing or templates, there is an alternative. Inklingo by Linda Franz allows you to print shapes (hexagons, triangles, etc) directly onto your fabric. You iron your fabric wrong side up to freezer paper, select the size of your patch, select the color of ink according to the fabric you are printing on, and print on the fabric. There is almost no waste. You remove the paper before you sew--no bits to remove after sewing. Pieces can be sewn by hand or by machine.

Hey All! While you're out getting the magnetic bowls, look at the telescoping wands with magnetic tips on them...great for picking pins up off the floor and other things in hard to reach places. Mechanics use them for getting screws and other parts they've dropped...I use them for the same at work because I'm forever dropping screws into servers when replacing components. The older I get the farther the floor is...and my knees complain alot more. One worry I've had about both the bowls and the wands is if the magnets could be harmful in any way to anything on circuit boards....so I'm concious of where I put them.

New purchase...When I attended Renae Haddadin's class at MQS she said that if you want a great cutting table...get a ping pong table. My light bulb went off..What a great idea...you usually have to hit me up beside the head for me to get it ;) Anyway..I went on Craigslist.org and started checking for someone getting rid of their table. I go pick it up today. Someone always wants to get rid of a ping pong table. DH is excited...like he is going to get to play....I have plans for that table :D

Archived