consignments

Hi everyone,

Just got a question about consignments. Myself and DH are opening up a produce and country store and will be incorparating hand made items including quilts, wood produces, spices, Herbs and festive items.

My question is, what is a good commission($$) on consignment things? I will be checking out the area and flea market booths of commissions. Any thought to this or something to watch out for? I am pretty knowledgable on the sales of these but not the consignment procedures. I have an idea on getting some forms printed with a # on top,put in binder and a tear off on bottom to give customer with # and then put that # on a sticker or section to where I can find and list all produces sold. This is my thought but not sure this will work smoothly. Any suggestions? Any concerns or good thing to do. Email me privately if you wish. Nita

Nita,

I don't know about consignments on crafts, but we have lots of clothing consignment shops here. Almost all of them add 20% to the sellers asking price. It sounds like a neat idea. Let me know if you need any quilts to sell. The stores here put the sellers initials or a number on the back of the ticket, which corresponds to their record keeping. I don't know if they keep a master record in a notebook or not. Hope this helps.

Archived