wheels

uncquilter

I have a question about adjusting the wheels on my Liberty. They are adjusted as directed in the manual that came with the machine. But, they feel a little tight to me. On the video(DVD) there is a segment which shows that the wheels should turn freely when the machine is held steady. How freely should they spin? I can turn mine while holding the machine still, but they do not spin. How loose is too loose?

Thanks.

Carol

The adjustable wheels are both the joy and bane of my existence! I started out with a Discovery, but always wanted the Liberty so I would have the adjustable wheels. I have agonized more hours than I care to admit over my wheels. I have spent more hours adjusting them and readjusting them than you can imagine. If your machine or carriage wobbles, then tighten the wheels just enough so that it no longer wobbles, but only barely doesn't wobble. This is only my opinion, and will probably change when I get back home and get a wrench in my hand...

I think if they are too loose, mine anyway don't move as smoothly. I still puzzle over the wheels after a couple years with mine. I adjust them according to the 9:00 & 5:00 suggestions in the manual, think I have them perfect, then become dissatisfied and start fiddling with them again. Maybe an expert will shed more light on this.

• 9 months later...

I have been been having trouble thoughts about my wheels. I am fine when working from the front of my machine but am going to do a panto and am having trouble making nice curves when working from the back, when I am moving (\\) left to right forward or backward I get a flattened curve unless I really hold tight. The other direction(/) is not so bad.

Question - Where is your machine head when adjusting the wheels? all the way front, all the way back or needle bar approx. in center. ( even with back of or table)?

How many threads down should the gold screw be down and should they be the same on each?

When adjusting sewing head cams are you looking at both cams from the back? I have to walk around the table to adjust the right front. So is it at 5 o\'clock or ten o\'clock?

If you look at the wheels from the side (along the rail) there should be a small gap between the rail and the wheel. There is a really great picture on this forum ...

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=7426&page=1#pid61405

Scroll way down on the first page for the picture, but its a good thread to read.

I had my wheels perfect... Then got my Circle Lord... Which means raising the carriage and looking for that sweet spot again... poop.

Best of luck,

Thanks, I did a search on wheel adjustment and nothing came up. So I just did wheels and scrolled down all the How to\'s.

I have been adjusting the wheels by looking at the spacing from the sides, especially on the carriage. think I will get someone to move while Im under the machine.

Again, Where should I Have the head position? Forward, back or middle? I have had the head forward while adjusting the carriage but should it be in the center?

should I disregard the cam placements?

Here is a photo of the air gap for the wheel adjustment.

Each machine may be slightly different and the 9:00 and 5:00 reference points are just that. A place to get you started. You can adjust beyond these reference points if needed. Make sure your head cam placements match each other and the carriage cams should match each other.

You want the rail to sit in the top portion of the curve in the wheel. You don\'t want the wheel lip to ride along the rail. And like Lynn said, make sure there is no wobbling or fishtailing when you move the machine from the front. Give it a wiggle and make sure it moves evenly.

When your wheels are adjusted properly and the table is level, you should be able to give it a push and it will glide all the way down the table. Do this test from each side.

Patty

post--13461899577029_thumb.jpg

Thank you Patty,

When the sewing head is all the way forward on the carriage do you still have that much air gap?

I will have a slight difference of the air gap on the carriage wheels with the sewing head location, all the way forward vs all the way back.

Thanks again for your time, Wanted to do this on the weekend of course when Amy is not in. Love the forum as I can get most of my questions answered.

You all make the adjustment sound so easy :) I have been messing with my wheels for...oh...6 months or more...still not right. It is driving me crazy. I have just finished a quilt and for the 4-billionth time will try to adjust again. I have the gap you all speak of between the rail and the wheel - still it is very, very, loose and when I do a panto it feels almost out of control. The movement is just way too fast. I try to take is slow, but it just feels loose.

Debbi T. is stopping by my house on her way home from MQS to see if she can help. Hopefully she can do something. I\'m really thankful to have someone else get in here and see what they can do.

For me, it has not been just a turn on the cams and ta-da...it is adjusted. This is a PITB!!

Patty, that is a GREAT photograph of the wheel! Thanks so much for the explanation and that arrow. My machine runs pretty smooth, but I am going to go and check my wheels again to make sure the curve part of my wheels are riding on the rail, not hanging from the edge (lip) of the wheel.

thanks again.

Thanks Shana, but I can\'t take credit for the picture!! It was posted on a discussion months ago about the same topic. I just reposted it for those that need it. It really does "tell it all".

Mary Beth - It is an easy adjustment. If you are not getting fishtailing and the "loose" feeling you are getting is just that "the machine is gliding on ice, or feels like a boat planing on water" then that is what you want. I love that feel, that the machine will go anywhere I ask it to. Yes, you need to control it, it is not controlling you!

Patty,

Not sure about the fish tailing...but I do notice a feeling, when quilting from top to bottom - verticlly, that I get a jog in the line left to right, like a bump. I cannot figure out what the heck that is. Plus, like I said, it feels very, very, loose. I can go anywhere I want alright and very quick :) I am going to try to do another adjustment this week and see what happens. Hopefully I can figure this out...I\'m really getting sick of messing with it.

Mary Beth. Sounds like you may have a bad wheel on the head if you are getting a bump vertically. Have you examined the wheels on the head? Any amount of adjusting will not correct a bad wheel. Once you determine which one it is a replacement is only around $16.00.

As far as the machine going anywhere you want it to and fast.... I don\'t see that as a bad thing. As long as it doesn\'t wobble from front to back (fishtail) as you wiggle the front handles. If you need more control or drag on the machine, then you need to tighten the wheels which would put more of an air gap as the wheels will ride more on the center of the curve or more towards the bottom of the curve. Or you can put on your extended base to create drag. Constantly adjusting the wheels wouldn\'t be a good thing, I don\'t think.

You do need to examine the wheels for the bump or it could also be caused by a pit or gouge (problem) on the carriage rail.

Email me if you like. I am signing off now to go quilt.

Patty

Mary Beth, I\'d like to have your problem of the machine gliding so easily. I have edgeriders and still think the problem is my table. I agree w/JBNT9999 (how about a name to go with that pretty handle) that when I move the head to the front of the machine I can see my carriage start to fall and the wheels lose that gap. Going to the back is not as big of a problem. Is that the way you all see the machines working? Seems so odd that the weight of the machine(back) is not as big of a problem as moving the machine head to the front of the table. Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

Had to go out of town for a trip but just got back and reading the info. I called Amy and she had me loosen the nuts on the crossbar of the carriage and bring the machine forward. Tighten the nuts. girly tight. Made all the difference in the world. I must of had a slight twist in the carriage. Now I\'m flying!

Archived