need advice on website etc .

Hi fellow longarmers,

I have had my millie for two years and CQ for one year and it's time to start earning some money to pay for these expensive toys ! I would like to get a website and also put a brochure together also I've read some of you have put together some sort of form that you give to your customers to fill out when they drop off a quilt . I'm open to any suggestions . Thanks in advance ! AB :)

occasionally I go in and goggle longarm quilting, just to look at other quilter's web sites. I look at the design of the site, decide what I like and don't like, and I look at the designer, if they have one. If I like the site then I go to the designer's site to see what they have to offer and the price range. Their prices do vary. Superior Threads recommend a company for quilters, you could check them out. Their web site is listed in superior's newsletter.

As for brochures, I already knew what I wanted in mine. I looked at some others and didn't like the format. I wanted mine to be an actual tri fold brochure. Most of the brochures I had seen were just in letter format and not easy to read. After looking at that type I would quit reading and lay the brochure aside. If I did that I figured customers would too. I have Pulisher so I created my brochures in that program. They look great....but I never give them out. I made them available at a craft show that I attended and everyone took one, but my LQS just wants business cards.

Teresa, I was looking at your website (which is great!) and saw your miniature pineapple quilt you made into a tote bag. How did you get those perfect edges to be perfectly straight?? They're so perfectly straight! What's your secret?

I have a website address, but nothing there (yet). I got my domain name through godaddy.com. i think it cost me about $14 to register my name. Be sure to get a .com name and not a .net, etc. You must register your name and make sure it isn't taken by someone else already. Go Daddy can also help you build your website or you use their tools to do it yourself (there is a small fee). Good luck!

quilt&sew,

I made my website a few months ago. It is still under construction, of course.

The company I used is StartLogic.com. I chose them because I read an earlier post where some others were using them. I found the cost to be reasonable, and the tools were easy to use. I don't love their templates, but they are okay for now, until I can afford to hire someone who knows how to do web building for me.

Another option is to use yahoo. Their web hosting for small business seems pretty good.

I need to put some photos on my site, and show patterns that I have for CQ. You post just reminded me!

Good luck with your site!

Archived