Stumped finished w/pics

Hello,

I had a lady bring me a block of the month quilt. I suggested that a allover pattern would work best in the body of the quilt with custom borders.

However, she wants me to do a custom job on it. There are 12 12" blocks with 20 9" stars in the sashing. She isn't too fond of the stars, and would like me to somehow de-emphasize them. The problem is that the colors in the stars are darker than the blocks which I think makes them stand out even more.

Do any of you have any suggestions for me? I have been putting this quilt off for a while and it will have to be started next week.

Thank you

Jill,

I took a look at you web site...great quilting!! You look like you know what you are doing. What are you thining you could do if you did custom on this quilt? I agree that the stars are going to stand out...I think that is the idea behind this pattern :) I don't know what to tell you to do...but I'm sure others will chime in. I bet if you have some thoughts...usually I find that my gut instinct is ususally right...but I always second guess myself.

Maybe stitch in the ditch around the bigger blocks and do special quilting in them. Then do something that treats the smaller stars as a border, like a rope design or something like that. It might help some, though I don't know that anything will make them fade into the background.

Jill,

I have to agree with you an overall pattern would be best to play down the stars. If you start doing custom on this the stars are going to fly even higher off the quilt...I would use an overall pattern to go with the quilt, but I also would use a darker thread as I feel that this will bring down the stars and make them sink a bit deepebesr. But that's just my opinion....

What if you "changed" the block shapes by including the points of the sashing stars in the formal blocks. that would only leave you a long, diamond shaped thing in the sashing, and corner squares in between blocks. You could custom quilt each block, just including those points. Here is a picture (sort of). I'm not as good as using paint as some of these gals are.

post--13461898344611_thumb.jpg

Teresa, how do you DO that? Wow. That's a great idea too. Good luck, Jill. I think you are going to do a great job on this. Go for it!

Now why, do you think, this quilt-maker would choose a pattern where the stars obviously stick out and are the "star" feature of the quilt, then ask the quilter to play them down??? I'd probably have said she chose the wrong pattern for that and she could do it herself, LOL! (No, not really, but I'd think it.) You are a good businesswoman, Jill, to try this for the customer's sake, I think. I bet it will pay off big time when you show her that her zany idea was doable by a professional like you.

Patty,

Right click on Jill's picture, save it to your computer desktop. Go to the desktop, right click on the saved picture and tell it to open with paint. Use the pencil feature and choose a color which will really show up on the quilt photo. Use the mouse to "draw" on the photo. Then save the whole thing, with the changes. Then post it back onto the board. Try it. Find a picture you like on the forums and change it and repost it. It's neat.

I think our customers get a little miffed when we say to them, "I think a panto would look really great on this." Does the term "panto" turn them off because they envision something really ugly on the overall quilt. Again, we just need to educate them on the beautiful pantos and how effective they can be on a quilt; especially if they don't want to pay for custom quilting.

Sharon

Teresa....I?ve tried this funny thing with painting on a picture...*lol* I couldn?t draw ONE smooth curve...*lol*.....- My feathers ....I swore...it should have been feathers - on the cream background didn?t even look similar:D

Jill....Ok....than I prefer to describe what I would do on this quilt - I love this pattern:) I would fill the cream background with feathers - divide the space with a center line(watersoluble pen) and fill both parts in a "mirrored" way ( is this expression correct?)

The stars could be outlined with a smooth curve(not SID!) with a kind of a leave or a snail in the middle where it fits....

Maybe I should share my drawing excercise, but I?m afraid you?ll kick of the chair while laughing*lol

Have a great day....

Best wishes from over the ocean....

Claudia

jzollin,

I agree with Jeanne and lym95.

When I really want to see my stars, I put continuous curve (CC) in the star points.

So to lose the stars, use the stars as a highway or sashing to get to your next sampler block.

This has the effect of downplaying the stars and SIDing your sampler blocks which put a frame around the real stars of the show. These are straight lines, thank goodness no diagonals. So use you channel locks if you have them and stitch lines.

Be sure to post a photo.

post--13461898347464_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived