Sharon Schamber's binding technique

I did a Quilt of Valor that way last weekend and it turned out great. I used Roxanne's Glue and the thing that I remember most is that you MUST press the binding to the back before applying the glue. I forgot to do that on one section and boy what a mess my hands were. I don't have any photos here with me, but will post some when I get home.

I have sewn it on that way without the glue and just pinning very carefully, but I think this may be a bit quicker.

I think Sharon Scamber's machine binding technique may have revolutionized my life, well sort of. I bound a lap quilt and wall hanging this afternoon using her technique and it was so slick! I did some things different but essentially the idea was the same. I never did like how machine binding looked, especially when I did it!! so I always bound by hand. The glue really works well! I used regular old Elmer's.

I have learned so much by reading these posts. It is better than taking a class!!

No, Mary Beth, you're not a dork! Glue can make a really big mess!Its still not my favorite thing to do with fabric, but I have found that it really helps when doing bindings. I didn't know anyone else used glue when I started using it. I just found it was so difficult to get the binding just where I wanted it on the back. I tried using washable glue stick first--that was really a mess! Then I tried basting tape, but found that slow and harder to control. I had used the Roxanne's Basting Glue on applique so I decided to try it. That seemed to work the best for me.

You just have to find the way that works best for you. I don't like spending all that time hand finishing the back of a quilt unless it is for show or heirloom, so I decided I was going to learn how to finish bindings by machine. The class I took really helped, but I still wasn't really happy with my bindings until I started using the basting glue and the edgestitch foot.

Play with it a couple of times and you'll get it figured out. Oh, the wooden cuticle sticks really help keep your hands from getting sticky and making a mess on your fabric.

Archived