Aluminum bobbins

Joy

I got rid of the metal bobbins awhile back and use aluminum for any bobbins that I wind. My machine seems to like them better. I also found that it is easier for me to adjust tension with aluminum bobbins.

I purchased a box of 100 from APQS. Why so many?? I'm glad you asked. :P I really don't like to stop and wind bobbins as I'm quilting. I prewind bobbins of the colors I use most and so I always have them ready to go. I keep them in bagettes labeled with the thread type and number. I found the bagettes at Michaels in the bead section. They come in 2 sizes in boxes of 200 and they are very economical. The smaller size is great for bobbins and a cone of thread fits in the larger size.

Debbi

I have switched to using Aluminum bobbins! Don't know what it is ---but, they wind and work soooo---much better than the metal bobbins, they also seem to hold a tad more thread. Try some---I think you will like them! :)

Only problem is I can't use my long magnetic strip bobbin storage holders anymore!;)

Hi Joy

Its always best to buy your bobbins from APQS or your dealer and it is best to buy your bobbin cases from APQS too as both bobbins and the cases have been tested to be compatible with each other? Bobbins can look the same size and shape to the naked eye but might be slightly different or out of round and they will either spin too much or catch on the side of the bobbin case and cause bad tension. Also the back lash springs inside the bobbin cases can differ and cause problems.

Best wishes

sue in australia

Archived