Double Wedding Ring Quilt

Hi all:

I need some help, please. My customer wants her double wedding ring quilted very simple(doesn't want to pay much). I am thinking of quilting 1/4 around the outside of the mellons and then freehanding a flower in the center of each large area. The quilt is 91 X 103 in. Would this be considered custom quilting and where would it fall in the pricing range? (What price would you charge per sq. in.) Prices in my area are $.015 to $.0175 for panto's and large meanders; $.0180 -$.0275 for custom and $.0280 and higher for heirloom.

Does anyone have a better way to handle the mellons that is not so tedious?

Thanks!

Barbara--very cute quilt! Love the roses-perfect for that space.

Sonja--check out Sherry Rogers-Harrison's web site for a wowser of a DWR. She did continuous curves in the bands and a ribbon-candy motif in the football shapes. You could design a less fancy motif for the centers, depending on your skill level, or find a pretty stencil to mark and stitch.

I find continuous curves easier than a SID or echo of the bands--fast and it looks like a lot of stitching but is quite easy to execute.

As far as pricing--depends on the plan for the quilting. If the customer doesn't want to pay custom $$ it is best to find a pathway so you can stitch a whole block in one go. There's nothing wrong with a meander in all the "white" spaces and a small squiggle-in-the-ditch to outline the bands. This would fall into the $.02 per inch range where I live. It would be a tad more for a freehand flower in the centers.

Good luck and post a photo when you finish, please!

Linda Rech

Olympia, Wa

Thanks to all for your input. The ideas are really great. I am concerned about setting a presidence on pricing with this one. The cusotmers daughter owns the LQS and she is involved with everthing in the community. If it is too low everyone will expect that price and if too high everyone will go to the other 2 quilters in the area. I am just starting to quilt for people in Durango, Co. I have still been quilting for my Texas connects up til now.

lov2qlt4u, I love your quilt. The colors are so soothing and your work is beautiful.

After my good neighbor did hand quilting stitching in the ditch on a DWR made from pieces I picked up at an auction mostly from the thirties, I found it too plain and used my Ellageo embroidery machine to do a flower in all of the spaces. It really made the quilt look finished. I only used white thread and although it was tedious hooping especially the middle blocks i am happy with it. It was king size quilt that we use on our own bed. I do not know how to post pictures.

Well I have the DWR on the frame and will begin tomorrow. (Unexpected company came to stay for several days).

Jim, I think you are right. I am over thinking this quilt.

Marion: I agree that the open areas need something in them. I am leaning towards a freehand flower rather than a stencil.

Thanks again to everyone for your assistance.

Archived