For the record

Karen, You are one of the reasons I bought my APQS. I figured that someone as talented as you and with a family just like me knew what they were doing. You are a very cool person and an individual that helps this world go around. You are classy beyond measure and help us as quilters understand the concepts of quilting in a normal way of thinking, not rocket science.

I still want to come to your studio and take classes. Planned to but with the kids medical issues that took my extra $. I still will just need a little time to build my stash back. I really want to put that I trained with the REAL Karen McTavish. Not that there are any fakes.

Anyway, LOVE to all quilters and poo-poo on those who pretend to be.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Karen,

I only know you as a professional, longarm quilter and think you are way too talented ;) That's good enough by me. I have been to several of your classes and admire you for your openess and honesty in class. Someone out the is probably jealous and has too much time on their hands.

As for Karen McTavish personally, of course you are not like most of us, we can tell by looking:D That okay too, that's what makes the world go round. As for your blog, thanks for the warning on the language - I will skip it - and just keep the Karen McT that I have seen in my head, I like that Karen.

Hang in there girl, we are with ya!!

Mary Beth

Oh, and don't ever be afraid to post here!!

Karen,

Lady, you have been an inspiration for many many people, me included. I have been a member of the Karen McTavish Fan Club, from day one...I have strived to not copy your style, but to just understand it and make it my own....have to admit its still a work in progress. I still stuggle with McBottsings, but I keep trying because you have told me I have it in me to do it.

I was able to take your whole cloth quilt class at MQX this past April, and walked out with more confidence in myself than any other teacher could have given me. And I thank you for that. Your whole cloth quilts are to die for and to have you share not only your talent, but all your tricks is awesome.

We all come in different shapes, sizes, and personalities.....which makes us all great people, and I thank you for your humble honesty and openess...you have never tried to blow smoke, or tried to mask who you are....and I love that about you.

Karen, never never change, be yourself, hug that baby boy for me, Storm is such a chunk (or he was the last time I saw him)...and hug yourself for me, and don't you dare change, I for one love you for who you are, and for what you have done for me.

Thanks you guys - I loved all your posts - I am a humbled by your support.

The best thing I can do until this dies down is (hide!! just kidding....how about isolate?? stay in a cave??) to just quilt in the studio, drink coffee and listen to music - I am so happy to have the time at home this month.

This is my 11th post to this chat site ....I need to get up to 1500 posts...so get ready.

Hope all is well with everyone and again - Thanks again for all the wonderful kind words-

Karen

post--13461898350429_thumb.jpg

Karen, I met you briefly in KC at MQS. You rock girl. Don't ever stop being you. I am not a hard rockin, pierced, tattooed girl, but sometimes I wish I could "step out of the mold" of the white girl yuppie. I say, be you and about the mature woman/younger guy thing ---- geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh girl - go for it. If only. Do not ever apologize for being a unique individual. I went to your awesome website and I love it. My brother is covered in tatoos and he loves your website too. I can't wait for the next opportunity to meet you and take your classes. Rock on.

Karen,

I never met you either, have one of your books though "Mastering the Art of Mctavishing" and love the talent you have shared with the quilting world.

You should never be afraid of who you are or think that you should go in hiding because you don't "fit" into someones warp sense of what is right or wrong. No one has the right to judge anyone, for no one is perfect.

As for your tatoos, it just brings to the surface your passion for quilting and the talent that flows through you :cool:. You are not hurting anyone living your life the way you do, and you are being true to yourself so don't appologize for being you.

You will never be able to please everyone nor should you have to.

Your APQS family will always be here for you to give you support no matter what. Hang in there.

((((HUGS))))

Joann

You ALL are the BEST group of quilters anywhere!

Karen & Myrna are all of the positive things you've said here and more. I love Karen because she is not a phony. Among many, many more reasons. I could not say it better than you all have. Myrna is the most supportive friend you could have.

You all are very supportive of the positive things we all report. But more importantly, suportive when there is negativity like now. I am proud to know such a diverse, non-judgmental group. If I'm ever unfortunate to have a low moment, I glad to know you all would be here to support me.

Karen we've got your back. Let's take it a step further and request Karen's classes at all the quilt shows & quilt shops. Request her books too. Anything else you can think of to make sure Karen stays on top. Otherwise she may get a bad taste in her mouth and not want to teach us anymore! I doubt anyone that has recieved any of these non-sense emails believe a word of it anyway. No worries!

It's kinda funny but negative campaigns like these usually (always) end up backfiring and the complete opposite effect/response happens as a result. I have a hunch that whoever started this trashy email campaign against Karen will be sorry to learn that it has catapulted Ms. McTavish into an even wider/higher level of respect in the quilting industry. Continue to take the high road, Karen and this, too, shall soon pass. I am glad to know you are an imperfect human who has made mistakes, just like me and everyone else on this earth - none of us are perfect, but you still live an honest life and try to always do good and do the right thing. Even though you might not fit the atypical conservative "mold" of a quilter, your basic moral values as a genuine human being are there and that's all that really matters. :) That is all that is most important.

I learned a long time ago to never judge a book by its cover. I've met many people in my life that were much deeper, more interesting and more loving than what was on the surface. Looks can be decieving. Whenever I meet someone who is different, I always try to "Seek to understand and then be understood." I've met some fascinating people this way!! I hope that the person who started the smear campaign may some day seek to understand Karen McTavish and then she will learn a real lesson in life.

PS: Although I don't have piercings or tatoos, I like listening to Korn and Metallica, and I love quilting and quilters. ;)

Karen, I love your books but could really care less what you do in

your private life. (sorry) I think it is horrible that anyone has to go

through this and the business' you deal with aren't being supportive.

One way to look at this is that you have "made" it since you got

your first hate mail.

Michele

Karen, let me know if you need a place to stay during the Sturgis Rally!! Of course I have a hidden agenda-I'm not stupid!! Tatoos are accepted in this house, husband has one, son has a full sleeve, workings on the other arm, leg designs, chest and neck designs. His best friend is a tatoo artist. I still need to post the "tatoo" wall hanging I did. Anyway, we are also Harley and Honda owners. I could fill your head w/horror stories about my children-all true though. No, I do not live in a trailer park. Keep up the good work!!

Nothing wrong with motorcycle riders. My DH and I rode our motorcycle from MI to Hollywood, CA round trip the first year we were married. The only way to enjoy Yellowstone is on a bike. Would I do it again, yes only stay in more hotels, camping on the hard ground is different 22 years later.

We all have our uniqueness that make us special. Some may not want to live the way we do but thats ok, I like being different.

After watching people get fired up and hurtful words hurled on a couple of other sites, I made a personal decision not to jump into the fray when this stuff starts. It is just easier for me and on me and for the most part doesn't affect me one way or the other. It's opinions and heavens know we all have enough of those!

Karen, I too wish I was more of a free spirit. Sometimes, I get upself so twisted up over things that it isn't even funny and end up losing weight because my nerves are shot (hey! maybe that isn't so bad after all!). Don't change. No matter who you are, someone, sooner or later, will have a problem with it. It is their problem not yours. Believe in that.

Focus on what you do best and know you have a ton of support. Don't let one person drag you down. In the scheme of things, they are nothing.

How sad that fellow quilters can be so cruel.

Wouldn't it be boring if we were all the same.

I'm sorry you had to experience this whole event, but the positive side is you now see how much everyone loves you and what you do.

At least you have the guts to be yourself.

If you did all the things she accused you of, you wouldn't have had the time to be so successful and creative.

Obviously she doesn't really know who you are and has probably never even spoken to you.

She needs to put her energy into quilting and put the kitchen knife back in the drawer.

Hi Karen,

I'm sitting here at Claudia's PC, because my one is broken.

Yesterday I have heard and read what has happened to you and I was shocked.

In January 2006 my Millie "Emma" arrived and some days later you and your mother. You have been the first teacher I have had classes with and it was really great learning the McTavashing and the Victorian Feathers. Thank you for this.

You are a wonderful and creative person. So, please, believe in you, be true to yourself, love everything you are doing and be strong enough to you through. I hope these days will be over soon.

Love you photo. It shows a lot of fun!!!!!

Hugs, Elke

WOOHOO! Would ya look at this line behind Karen! I went to your Space, love it! The pictures, the music, a fun place to be, had my say while I was there, too. Some people are just so mean. That's the best word for it, just plain old mean. Still think this person probably makes ugly quilts, ugly is as ugly does. Mynra, what a good friend you are, thanks to both of you, this is the best thing you could have done, get it out in the open and expose it. What a cheap shot. Karen don't you dare hide, we love you and enjoy being around you! If I had a quilt shop I think I'd have a Harley on a table and stack fabric & thread all around it! I'd have every kind of music available, you never know what is going to inspire someone. We all love quilts, every thing else is garnish!

Hi Myrna and Karen

big hugs to you both - you are two of the most sincere and sharing quilters I know - I'm sorry you are going through a bad time at the moment but I am sure it will pass for you both.

Karen, keep on daring to be different and being yourself because that is what makes you such a creative and talented teacher and someone we all want to call our friend.

however, WARNING, if you ever go to dinner with Karen and you have never tried 'wasabi' and she tells you "take a big taste you will just love it'"- DO NOT TRUST HER!!!!! Unless you want to see her brilliant smile, hear her great laugh and get a burning feeling on your tongue that will last days!!!

Take care both of you - you are awesome people.

Sue in Australia

Karen,

You are just the friendliest, most sharing person I've ever met. I met you in Springfield this year when you, Carla and John were giving a seminar about the APQS machines. I bought my Millennium that day. You were so open, and honest, I can't imagine anyone saying anything bad about you except that they are jealous and unhappy with their own life. Just know that there are more people out there that love and respect you than there are who don't. If you get down, just go back to these posts and I am sure that you will start feeling loved again.

In awe of your talent and courage,

Raggie

:)

Karen,

I met you only once, but that memory will last a life time. YOU ROCK!!!! Hope that you are staying cool in the hot Duluth summer. I went on your myspace and what a trip....asked to be added to your friends. Happy quilting!!!! Oh by the way, how sad someone can treat anyone that way....

Sue,

Duluth, MN:D::P;)

Karen, I guess it's because there are those who do not believe in a loving God, and when they see people who are free, they are jealous. I know. I grew up with them. I am sorry they have attacked you, and Myrna and others.

And now that I read this, I am going to change my schedule at Innovations to include your class!!! I only didn't before because I was trying to save money and thought I'd take a class with you when I already have a machine, but not now! NOW I will take it immediately, and I hope tons of others decide the same thing!

Blessings to you, and know YOU ARE LOVED AS YOU ARE!!!

And ditto everything Shana said, and others (except I've yet to meet you, but that's soon to be remedied!)

Archived