Innovations 2007

ffq-lar

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. Yes, I guess it makes sense to charge a per head fee. I wish they'd call it that, though, and just say it costs such and such to attend this convention, instead of hiding it like they did. I like things up front, so I can plan from the start, and I don't like surprises. Except on my birthday... :cool:

Let's keep our fingers crossed that I'll get a ride from somebody, or I can't even sign up.

$35 isn't too bad, really, you get lots of good info and a nice tote bag! But, I would definitely try to bring a lunch or go out (but, the lines can be long). The Sheraton (?) next door had great breakfast. I drove over early just to have coffee and pancakes before classes. If you have a car or a friend, Tacoma does have lots of places to eat. I still haven't signed up, so I hope the CL class isn't full!

If everyone thinks Thursday is a good day for meeting, I will contact Cindy and ask for a mid-day room--maybe from 10 am to 3:30 so people can drop in between a couple of classes and the lunch break. She also can provide an after-classes room but I think everyone will be exhausted and looking for food and beverage and a place to put your feet up. Not to mention going through your purchases and going over class notes. Yummy!

I think dinner on Thursday would be good too! Can we stand that much togetherness? We need to let the APQS booth crew know they are invited too (if they haven't maxed-out on quilt-maniac excitement and just want rest and quiet!)

Input solicited--let me know.

Linda Rech

I'm up for dinner but have no transportation....that will be a consideration. Also, I know nothing about the area so I can't offer any suggestions as to places to go or how to get there. Is there someplace close to the convention center/Sheraton?

Last year we went to a great place, "(somone's name) djembe soul food. Food was great, but if it's the same "entertainment" of Spoken Word, no way! A bunch of angry people getting up and talking about their sex lives in rhyming verse. We were asked by other customers to not talk so loudly, even though we were speaking in normal voices.

Beth

Linda R.,

Bev and I would enjoy getting together with others for a meal on Thursday or whenever.

Patty,

We are looking forward to meeting you for the trip. I sent several U2Us. Read them all. I don't see any problem getting back in time for your ride connection on Friday.

sounds great (as long as quilt-friendly spouses would be welcomed!). Many of us appear to have full Thursday class schedules but a place to drop in and meet our APQS friends would be awesome. How great to have such organized people with such energy involved!! With admiration, Caroline

I signed up to take some classes this year too. Unfortunately I am going to be in classes on Thurs from 10 until 5:30 so no time to meet the rest of you. I would LOVE to do dinner though. My last class on Friday ends at 5:30 and I have left the early morning open to wander around so if anyone wants to get together for breakfast, that would be fun too. I am going from Vancouver, Beth. Let me know if you need a big car. Mine holds 8 adults, without a lot of stuff or 5 with a lot of stuff. (Back seat folds down.) I will look forward to finally putting a face to Patch and others.

Nancy

Hi Patty--

Page 11 of the Innovations catalog has a listing of classes recommended for beginners. I recommend Pam Clarke's beginner classes and she will have a booth full of goodies. Wait to pick everybody's brains before you invest in too much stuff. One person's invaluable tool is another's dust-collector, as we all know! Can't wait to meet everybody!

Linda Rech

Thanks, Linda. I just read through the descriptions on the website and chose according to that. I've signed up for four (4) classes, so it's costing me something, but when I compare it to the cost of my college education, which was never recouped by a career, it's a drop in the bucket. If I keep looking at it that way, it won't hurt. Much. The last class I signed up for was Karen McTavish's. I had thought I"d wait until I had a longarm for that one, but decided she needs all the support she can get, and she sounds like a VERY fun person to learn from. Besides, all this McTavishing talk has me so curious..... and I LOVE what it does for a quilt.

Oh, the other classes are:

Quilting Makes the Quilt, Dawn Cavanaugh

Design Your Own Interlocking Free Motion-like Pantos, Marjorie Rhine

The Realities of Running a Longarm Business, Megan Best

Oh dear. I hope I'll have time to try out all the different quilting machines so I can honestly say the best one for me is Lenni. LOL! :D

looks like I might be there. Spaghetti FActory works for me, but then anything that has food in it works for me:P now just to figure out what I should take this year. Last year I was so new I had not a clue and this year I need to be two or three people in order to get in classes I want that are at the same time.

Has anyone received confirmation of your classes at Innovation yet? and do you know when they do this?

I'm traveling up to Tacoma with a few long arm quilters from this area of Calif. I'm staying at the Best Western Tacoma Dome and using the light rail system to get back and forth to the convention center. I have signed up for two classes every day with the exception of Saturday.

This is my first time to Innovations and I'm really excited!!!:)

Hopefully I will get to meet some of you soon. :)

I think I answered this in a personal email to you.....but I got my confirmation quite soon after registering which was in May.

You could always send Cindy an email if you are concerned.....

I, too, am very excited......I'm going on my own....no quilty friends along this time....so I am really looking forward to actually meeting all of you!!!!!

Yes, Laurie, Thank you for the nice email. I'm glad you received your confirmation of classes so quickly. However, I was wondering if other quilters here on the forum had received theirs---

I did email Cindy Roth, but have not heard back, nor have I received confirmation of the classes I signed up for. I imagine everyone is very-very busy.

Looking forward to hopefully meeting you and some of the other APQS quilters.:)

Is confirmation the same as the receipt I received in my e-mail inbox shortly after signing up? To me, that receipt is my confirmation. They have my money, I get their class. Unless they notify me it's full or something, at which time they would offer me another class in it's place. But I checked online to see if they were full, and none were, so they'd have no reason to do that.... so do people usually get a separate confirmation besides the receipt?

Hey quilters---

Cindy Roth just phoned me about our planned meeting on Thursday at Innovations. She doesn't have a meeting room available at the times we requested as all classes are filling. She will set aside an area adjacent to the registration desk on the main floor with a reserved table big enough to accommodate 15 people starting at 12:30 (lunch break time). We can meet and greet for a short time and firm up plans for dinner the same night. Anyone without classes after that can stay to talk and rest. Between classes the common areas are almost deserted so it will be quiet there. I will move forward with dinner plans and we can do a head-count as the time gets closer. It will be great to see you all!

Linda Rech

Cindy, that is so VERY cool of you. Make sure to tell her thanks from me!! Or maybe I should just reply to her latest email regarding volunteering...... That way I will be able to drop in during my fly-by between Design Your Own Interlocking Free Motion-like Pantos and The Realities of Running a Longarm Business. I'll be worn out already from having had Karen's Mastering McTavishing class at 8:00 am, though, so don't be surprised if all you see is a dark-circle-eyed sloth..... :D

Archived