Guild member has 14 charity quilts!

Does she expect you to do them all? For free? How busy are you now and how much time would you like to devote to doing charity (free) quilts? Let her know right up front that you will do a specific number per month or for the year but you only have so many slots open for charity work.

I'm involved with QOV (due to somebody on this site) and I volunteer to quilt 2 per month. Usually I just quilt them and send them back to the piecer for binding and a label, however this month I will be binding the 2 sent to me. I won't be doing any Qov's in December or January because I'm just too busy to take on any at that time. Still yet that is 20 charity quilts a year besides the baby quilts I give for gifts or any I might make for victims of house fires in our little town (pop. 400 more or less). I also quilt for $$$$ when I'm not at my regular job.

Don't over load yourself...it's supposed to be FUN TO QUILT.

Good luck and God bless you!:)

I just had the quilts dropped off and they are about 36" square, so not too bad. When she said 14 I was picturing 14 bed sized quilts! Since she is providing all the backing and batting and thread, I guess I'll just use them for practice pieces and work them in when I can. I'm just starting out - have had my machine/business for about 2 weeks now.

Cheers,

Karen

Karen,

I don't know how long you've been at this but you may want to establish your own policy for doing charity quilts. You may have read threads in the past that give sage advice from some quilters with good intentions who have been burned. Myself, I love doing the quilts and have a couple of charities that are near and dear to my heart. I feel very blessed to have my Millie and consider it my way to "give back" for that blessing.

My point is that I need to be responsible to set the agenda - not the guild or organization. I have worked hard to establish a customer base and they deserve some loyalty from me when it comes to turnaround time. If you do not have alot of customers yet then it is fine to take charity quilts because they will allow you to perfect your skills, but remember:

1. little quilts take almost as much time and effort to load as larger ones and,

2. once you set a precedent with some people, that becomes the level of their expectation. It's hard to step back.

It is always possible that some seeing your charity work will become a paying customer. That was my thinking in the beginning. Sadly, lots of people saw my work, and even complimented it, and I still haven't seen them as customers! Go figure. Remember, it is YOUR business and you determine where it will go. Just my two cents.

I also do some quilting for my friends charity efforts, but one time a guild called (that I didn't even know existed) and said this: "We heard you quilt for free". Well, that was it...I only quilt for 'free' when I have direct knowledge of the 'charity'. Otherwise, I say that I will call them if my work load lessens. Oh brother.

karen

When Katrina hit I did 23 queen size quilts + binding in a 3 days. I had to get them done because i was having surgery on my ankle the next day and I was going to be in a cast for 4 months. It makes me feel good that I could help out. And I was able to try all kinds of different patterns and techiques on these quilts.

Feel good that you are helping.

Barbara

Barbara I think you are my new hero! You are an inspiration.

I am going to work in the charity quilts between my customer quilts. Since, luckily, there is no time crunch, I can do them when I like. And as was suggested by many, it will give me a chance to practice new techniques/patterns and I'll be helping out, which I don't mind at all. I'm even going to try loading two at once and see what happens.

Thanks to all for your support and great suggestions! :)

April, I am so pleased that you do the QOV. I am working on one for the Wounded Warrior Center in Oceanside. They have really gotten a great response form all over the US. Several quilts were delivered from Texas in June I believe. The guys are getting so they know hand quilted from machine quilted and they are so happy to get the quilts. I have a nephew in Iraq and I pray dailly that neither he nor his family will ever need one of these quilts and yet I know they bring such comfort to the Marines and to the families of these service men and women. Keep up your good works.

Beverly,

I really enjoy doing the QOV quilts. When you work on them you wonder about the soldier that will get it and you say a little prayer that they will be alright and safely home with their family soon. Hopefully they will get more longarmers to help out soon.

COOL! Yes, do them and get some practice. It's a great way to get some.

Our guild has a "Community Quilt" table full of quilts at different phases of completion. I look through the tops ready to be quilted, pick the ones I'd like to work on and finish at my leisure. I usually do about 25 a year. Guess it's a little easier than being asked!

Have fun! Let us see how you do!

Archived