Going full-time

Mary Beth

OK, you wild n crazy dancin' & quiltin' machine, you...

Great advice by everyone here, Mary Beth. I think that Cher and Oregon Carol both have something to consider with regards to breaking down the barriers and walls between the "snooties" and the "non-snooties" lol!! :P;) Seriously, tho... I've met a few folks like this (not necessarily quilters...just folks at work or whatever) and I kinda challenged myself to keep chipping away (killing them with kindness) wrigling my way in through the back door by asking for help from them, or advice from them (kinda like reverse psychology) and I gotta tell ya that it works. Some people are more hard to chip away at than others, but if you have the tenacity to stick to it, they are all pretty much chippable. So, go grab your ice pick, your hammer, your blow torch, and your dazzling smile and friendly personality and start workin' it, girl! :cool: Work it baby. You can chip through those snootie shells and guess what you will find inside? Ooooey, goooey marshmallows that will crawl on glass for you. It's happened to me! Just dazzle 'em with your fun sense of humor and your fantastic quilting skills. You'll have them in the palm of your hand before you know it, beating down your door to be next in line for longarm quilting services. Hey, it could happen!!! :D

Originally posted by qualityquilter

I have a question for the post - I'm thinking of buying a Millenium long-arm and working into a part time quilting business. What are the groups thoughts?

;)

Hi QQ! Welcome. Sure! You could get a longarm and quilt part time. Many people here do it. Before you dive in, you might check your area for the demand for longarmers, the waiting list time, etc. Your local quilt shop can give you an idea, too. Do some research in your area. Ask more questions here, too.

Mary Beth,

Sometimes you just have to step out on faith, realize that you are not going to get rich, but your life will be much happier and more peaceful. What's the worst thing that could happen if you did leave your part time job? That's the question I've learned to ask myself. You can't earn a living wage, bills run up, you have to file bankruptcy. That's not such a big deal anymore. Your family will still love you, your friends will still care for you, you'll probably be able to keep your house and your cars and your machine. You'll re-adjust your thinking and learn to live on less and enjoy life more.

Okay, where did that come from!!!!??? The "hippie" years must have had more influence on me than I thought

Everyone has to determine with their spouse when or if that time will ever come. But, you'll never know if you can do it until you try. I guarantee if you had asked me four years ago if I could walk away from my job, I'd have laughed in your face. If you'd asked DH if I could walk away from my job he'd have said "Absolutely not!" But there came a time when I had to do that very thing. By the time I got home that afternoon, I felt like a burden had been lifted from my shoulders and I could breathe again. Literally, breathe again.

I hope that you and Rod can soon see the way open up, or that you will find that you can be at peace where you are.

God Bless, my friend

Phyllis

Welcome to the forum QQ. Shana is right, of course you can work part-time and quilt part-time. You can even work full-time and quilt part-time, I've done both. There are sacrifices to be made. Sometimes you will be in the quilt studio while everyone else is doing fun stuff. If you are working on customer quilts and there is a deadline, you have to stay focused.

Like Shana said, check out your area, and do it very carefully. Don't let your heart rule your head. I think some people get very gung ho about getting their hands on a machine only to find out there is not enough business to help pay for the machine. And besides the machine there are all the hoop-la that goes with it, such as classes, rulers/templates, patterns, batting, books and other supplies too numerous to mention.

Please don't think I am trying to discourage you, if this is your passion, then by all means, get busy checking into the supply and demand in your area. And do all of your homework. Keep reading and posting questions here on this forum. There are a truck load of good people here with very good advice.

Good luck in your adventure.

Mary Beth

Mary Beth.....Hi....long time since I have talked to you. Guess I will have to

give you call soon. Anyway, it doesn't sound like it will be long now before

you will be quilting full time!!!;):D That is the best news I have heard in a

long time. I'll bet your boss will wish he had kept his mouth shut when you

turn in your resignation.....:P

You go girl......you do great work, DH will break soon I can feel it :P:P

Hi Mary Beth,

I'm envious! I was joking last night at the shop, saying that since I have about 17 quilts in the wings, plus my own home dec. projects, not to mention my own sewing projects, that I needed to quit my job. Told my husband "I'm being sarcastic", and then told him, but I think I freaked him out. Keep us posted, we're all pulling for you!

Beth

Archived