How to Finish This?

luv2kwilt

Hi There everyone! Looking for some expert advice--

I have been asked to quilt this antique quilt and I don't know how to finish it off--bind it. Does anyone have any other suggestions except to bind it with a typical bias binding and have it take forever? She is willing to cut off the edges, but I just hated to do that unless we had to.

THanks!

luv2kwilt

APQS Millenium

post--13461898351993_thumb.jpg

Hi luv2--

For a finished edge without binding, when you are quilting, stay a half inch from the edges.

When finished quilting, trim the batting back one quarter inch from the edge of the fabric (easier

with small, sharp scissors rather than a rotary cutter).

Trim the backing exactly the same as the top.

Fold and press under a quarter inch of the top and a quarter inch of the backer and match exactly.

Whip-stitch the top and back together, enclosing the batting.

It sounds like a lot of hand-work but is easier than machine-stitching the binding and then hand-stitching the back.

Hope this helps. Antique quilts are great!

Linda R

That looks like a quilt top with vintage fabrics. I hope she doesn't cutt off the edges because that is what makes it so cool. Cutting the edges would ruin it, I think.

I'm not a pro and probably can't give good advice as to how to quilt it, but I think you would have to float the dop because of the angled edges and it's probably really delicate any way, being so old.

I've heard of some people doing the clamshell on older quilts like this, or you could find a really appropriate panto and do an allover ete design as long as you're careful when going off the edges of the floating top not to snag it with your hopping foot.

I think whatever you do will be lovely. You could get the pre-made bias tape for the binding or make it yourself. I think the time to do the bias edges is worth it (IMHO) :)

Please post a photo after it's done.

Archived