Suggestions?

Hi there, Judy

I have made a lot of lone star quilts, and have quilted them in many different ways. I think tho, my favorite is to just do straight line, following the diamonds inside the points out into the fill in, it leaves just the neatest look when finished. sometimes the quilting lines will come out and look like crosshatching out in the fill in areas.

I just finished one for a gentleman who was the Grand Marshall of our stampede parade, he is a cowboy so I quilted cowboy hats and cowboy boots in the fill in areas and just big loops that looked like lariets curling around. I did one for a baby and quilted three hand prints in a flower pattern in the fill in--daddy's hands kinda thing.

That to me is the most fun doing a star quilt. I listen to the voices in my head--they tell me what to quilt.:)

But when in doubt I do straight line--love the look of it. have fun. Judy

Hi Judy, Go onto my webshots and take a look I have quilted many of these. If you are going to be at the classes for the AZ longarm guild it will be a good one to talk about. If you don't have to quilt it before then. I'll give you lots of idea's, if it does then give me a call and I will tell you some ideas Too much typing

Judy, you can also put concentric circles in the large square spaces and do various fills in between the circles to add some pizazzz! Myrna does stuff like that all the time. Also the continous curves that Linda suggested are really popular with lone star quilts.

Have fun with it and post pics when your done. The circles you did with your Hartley Fence on the other quilts are awesome so if you decide to go with the concentric circle idea you should have no problem with it.

Joann

I admire the way JoAnn Hoffman quilts lone star tops. She puts this cool squiggle (for lack of a better word) into each of the diamonds in the star, kinda like a continuous curve with an amazing WOW factor. She has posted pictures on this site before, not sure if the pics are still here. Maybe she has a webshot place or on her website and you can look at her quilting there. Your top looks great!

Nadia

Archived