Newbie with questions

Hi, I'm a new Millenium owner and a new longaram machine quilter. I am having several problems and I'm beginning to get a little frustrated. :( I have only had this machine about one week so I know there is lots to learn, but I think I need help. Here are my questions:

1. I am having a terrible time getting my tension adjusted properly. Just when I think I have it adjusted, my top thread starts giving me some very loose stitches. Then I start getting top thread showing through on the backing. How do I correct this problem?

2. Last night when I was trying to use a pantograph, I kept getting squares instead of circles. My husband said he would try to readjust the wheels tonight for me. I hope this helps. Is this a common problem?

3. When working from the back of the machine (panto side), when I tried to use the up/down needle bar to pull up the bottom thread and then again to do locking stitches, the needle moved down and up in a single motion. This happened several times and then it would start working correctly. This only happens when working from the back of the machine. This has never happened while working from the front of the machine.

I thank you all for helping me out with these problems. As I work during the day, I only get to use the machine at night (for the present) and I as I said, I'm getting frustrated.

I can't help you with some of your more technical problems. With the problems of getting squared circles, that is a very common problem due to the nature of the way the machine moves, front to back, side to side. Loosening the wheels may help. But what you will probably need to do is just (I'm sorry to say...) practice, practice, practice! Also, you may be going too slow; sometimes it helps with smoother curves to go a little faster. The longarm is not hard to operate, but it is hard to operate it well. Don't expect too much too soon! With regard to your top tension, try tightening it up more. I've sometimes sewn with it too loose and it will look okay, then really be a mess. Make it tighter, then when it looks like it's too tight, loosen it up bit by bit, until (hopefully) you will have a good stitch. With regard to the third question, perhaps your finger is just resting on the button a shade too long giving you the two stitches all in one motion. If not, then you need someone more knowledgeable than me! I think there is some kind of adjustment you can make, but an APQS person would have to advise you there.

Above all, don't give up, and don't get down on yourself or your machine. Some people make it look really easy, but they've been doing it for years, usually as a business, meaning they are quilting a goodly part of the day most every day. Everyone had to start out somewhere. Your progress may not be as fast as you'd like (mine sure isn't!), but if you keep at it, you will progress. Date your practice pieces and keep them; when you look back you will be able to see how much you have improved! Good luck and enjoy your new machine!

Loosening the wheels did the trick for me. When I got my machine back from the shop, my husband remounted it and I couldn't figure out what they could have done at the shop to make my curves curvy. Apparently he had left the wheels loose (and told me ?) for me to tighten. Didn't know they were loose until my channel lock didn't set my wheels for straight line. I'm a happy camper now and my pantos look great.

Guest Linda S

Hi Sue!

First of all breathe! It will get better. Lots to learn and lots of us here to help you.

1. Thread tension. My best advice, use the info page on the Superior Threads website. There is a little article there called "Tug of War" that I refer to whenever I am having tension problems. Here's the link: http://www.superiorthreads.com/education/education.php3?ID=28

2. Lynn is right, you most likely need to loosen your wheels a bit. In your manual, there is a page that talks about the cams on the wheels and how they can be adjusted. Just don't make them too loose, or you might have a bit of trouble with your stitch regulator.

3. Could be you're holding the button down too long but, if not, give Connie a call. There is an adjustment you can make when you take the covere off the machine that will help with the needle up/down button and she can walk you right through it.

4. Even though you didn't have one! :P Just keep coming back here and we'll help you out. So many graciously helped me when I was first getting started. It's now my pleasure to tell you what I learned.

Happy Quilting!

Linda

Hoo boy ... does this bring back memories! I cried (a LOT) my first three weeks ... and I swear if I had been stronger, I would have thrown Matilda right out the window!! All of the previous advice is spot on. My only addition would be to check your bobbin tension, too. Oddly enough, now that I have my tension where I get good stitches, I only have to adjust it (loosen it) when I'm running monopoly or metallics. I also found it strange that the tension needs to be tighter with heavier threads and looser with fragile threads. I still don't know why (!), but hey! whatever works.

Hang in there, Sue. We can promise you it does get better!

p.s. (I had square circles until I did a complete queen size top using Jodi Beamish's "Daisy Swirl")

Hi Sue,

I can't answer your technical questions either, but my two cents for helping with those curves or circles is to bend your knees a little and loosen your grip on the back handles. Also think round as you enter the circle; complete the circle or curve in one smooth motion, don't slow down or stop. Usually the more I relax, the better the curves or circles look.

Good luck,

Barbara

Today is a better day! Thanks for all your suggestions and words of encouragement. Last night my husband loosened my wheels for me and my circles and curves are still square but I did detect a slight curve to some of them. I know I need to practice, practice, and practice. I guess I'm just impatient.

I spoke with Mark today and he said since the up/down needle isn't working properly on the back but it is okay on the front, it is probably my mushroom switch. He told me to try tapping the yellow button several times without the clutch and see if I could get the spring to release. So far this has worked. He said it I continued to have this problem, I would need to replace the mushroom switch.

Sew ... things are looking up.;)

Archived