How often would you/ do you wash a quilt

Ok I just got back from my LQS and I ran into a woman that was talking about her DIL. This woman made her son & DIL a lap size quilt (cotton fabrics, cotton batting etc...) and was upset because her DIL washes the quilt from time to time. I told her that I wash my family room lap quilt every week for the past 2 years and it is holding up just fine, it wasn't falling apart and that I believe quilts are suppose to be loved and used which means washing them from time to time. Except of course the old vintage heirloom quilts that have been handed down from generation to generation. Those I told her should be handle with care and not used as often because they are more fragile than the ones that we make today. Anyways she just starred at me like I had 2 heads or that I just told her that she should machine wash a silk blouse with bleach, LOL

I mean if you buy good quality fabric/materials and machine stitch when piecing and then have it profesionally quilted it should last for many years with out falling apart even if you wash it week after week etc... After all what's the point of having a lap or even a bed quilt if you can't even use it because you are afraid of washing it when it gets dirty.

So how often would/ do you wash your quilts (bed and lap quilts...not the wall or art quilts).

Thanks

Joann

I wash mine a couple times a year, too. I use the "shepherd fur" test for my quilts. I don't let my sheps lay on the bed nor lay on the quilts, but somehow the fur seems to migrate onto the quilts over time.

I wash my quilts a couple times a year or when they look like they need it... plus it's probably good to keep the grime from settling in and freshens them up. I have a front loading (big sized) washer and I let them hang over the bannister to dry, not in the dryer. I try to take care of them, but my bed quilts were made to be used and loved and so far, they are all holding up just fine! :)

Here's my girl, Rika, who freely gives her fur to anything that wants it... She is standing amongst the fireweed and wild iris. Isn't she a honey-honey-sweetie-cutie???

post--13461898362938_thumb.jpg

Shana, Rika is a sweetie. It looks like she is smiling. ;)

Joann, I build my quilts to last. Quality fabric and thread, good stitch length on piecing and quilting and good binding.

My bed quilt (king) goes in the washer (with Dreft) about twice a month. I rotate my bed quilts because I like to use a lighter on ini the spring/summer. I wash my family room and car quilts more often because I drag them around and because the dog (Get off the couch) and the cat (Speedbump) leave deposits on these frequently used quilts.

I've seen some really beautiful quilts with gems, pearls and other embellishments that might require special handling. I just have never seen any in MY house.

Yes, she definitely is a beauty, Shana! Now you've touched 2 of my favorite subjects, quilts and dogs. So, I guess my bed quilt may not last very long because I wash it at least once a month...because of my 3 fur babies. One is a Welsh Cardigan Corgi, short for "sheds top coat and undercoat 24-7 domesticated hair ball". It's like Kudzu...wish I could find a revenue stream for the fur I collect on a daily basis! :D

anita

Joann,

If you use your quilts--wash them! How gross to not wash them if they are used all the time.

Here is a testament to the durability of some quilts:

I've made a few 'fooling around' lap sized quilts in the past. They were muslin with lots of long-arm practicing on them. I bound them and let my 4 kids use them for anything their hearts desire. They have been outside for sides of tents, dragged around all over for a variety of reasons, been used as tissues(I think only that and not toilet paper:D), and been generally beaten on and abused. I wash them pretty frequently and throw them right in the dryer. They still look great! In fact, sometimes a customer sees them and comments on how well they have been taken care of!

If these quilts of bleached muslin can be so abused and still look fantastic, then I'm convinced that periodically washing the quilts that are used for snuggling on the couch or on the bed will be just fine for many, many years.

There is an enormous difference in durability between good quality muslin and quilt shop fabric and cheap fabric. How do I know? My kids also drag around a lap sized quilt that was made for us when we got married 11 years ago. I let them drag it around because it's a mess. I had it for about 1 year before it started fading and falling apart. I probably washed it once every couple of months that first year because we just used it on the back of the couch and occasionally on a lap. It was made from cheap fabric! It was lightly machine quilted, but it is not the thread that is falling apart--it's the fabric.

I have seen Quilts of Valor made with cheap fabric--and I find this VERY upsetting. Those quilts will probably be washed frequently---and fall apart.

Jill Kerekes

I wash the quilts made for the kids every week, because they drag them around the house, build tents in the living room and sleep with them every night. The one on our bed gets washed about the same amount. They are all cotton (with cotton batting). I've always put them in the dryer too, no shrinkage, no damage. But I'm sure they are a little more faded from all the beatings they get around here. I even have one made over 15 years ago, washed many many times and even used as a picnic blanet at the park, it's still navy blue on the back (and was hand quilted). I know I know "gasp".

I just use Tide and Downey. no dryer sheets though, cause we're allergic to them. If I did have an heirloom quilt, I would only wash it in quilt soap and not dry it in the dryer.

My machine is a front loader, so I only use the HE detergent.

Our dog Jack only sleeps on one of his many pillow beds, or on the sofa, which is covered with a sheet at all times, so he doesn't shed on the quilts.

This is our almost 17 y.o. fur factory, Bob. I use practice muslin quilts on top of sheets to protect the bed quilts, but occasionally he still manages to leave a hairball on the quilt. Between washings, I use the upholstery attachment on my Electrolux vacuum and it does a super job of removing pet hair and dirt from quilts. That's the only thing that vacuum is good for. I hate vacuum cleaners, have never found one that does everything well.

Shana, what kind of front loading washer do you have? I'm thinking it's time to get one for the quilts. Do you like yours? Consumer Reports doesn't rate any of them very high for getting clothes clean, if I recall.

post--1346189836368_thumb.jpg

Shana, I know about the shepherd fur problem. All summer long it seemed like I dust mopped the floor 15 times a day, and still fur. It definitely does cling to things.

Joann, I wash quilts when they need them, usually every couple of months. THey just go in the washing machine and then hang to dry.

Yep I'm right there with the "When it needs it" group, at least a couple of times a year, but if used more like winter time for snuggling, then twice a month.

Teresa, last fall at the fair there was a lady doing just that, she had bags of different dog fur, all around her and she was spinning it into yarn. It looked pretty, and was really soft, but I didn't think to ask her what it smelled like when it got wet. Do, ya think she would have gotten upset with that question.:P Even though it was pretty to look at I didn't really think it was that pretty in a garment, she had sweaters and ponchos and a few winter scarves....yuk is what I thought.:cool:

Originally posted by catsigler

Shana, what kind of front loading washer do you have? I'm thinking it's time to get one for the quilts. Do you like yours? Consumer Reports doesn't rate any of them very high for getting clothes clean, if I recall.

Well, I think the frontloader washes clothes just fine. Think about it...how DIRTY do your clothes really get any way? (unless you work in a coal mine or something). I've not had problems getting dirt out of clothes. The brand I have is Bosch; we got the W/D at Lowes.

I think they need to change the name from "German Shepherd Dog" to "German Shedding Dog"

Hey, I gotta share something cool. My sister turned me onto this new brush for dogs & cats it's called "the FURminator" and it is spendy (I got mine cheaper off ebay) but you can buy them at pet stores, too. Anyway, it works awesome. That FURminator really takes the undercoat out. It is amazing and worth the $$$ because it works. My male GSD, Raider (a long-haired GSD) is like two-thirds his original size after being de-FUR-minated.

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

My sister turned me onto this new brush for dogs & cats it's called "the FURminator" and it is spendy (I got mine cheaper off ebay) but you can buy them at pet stores, too. Anyway, it works awesome.

WOOHOOO!!!!!!! Thanks, Shana, and thank your sister too. I ordered one for my cat and one for my dog. I will be sitting on the porch waiting for the UPS gal on Tuesday. Did you go to furminator website and watch the videos? I am SOOO excited!

Yah, the video on the web site is amazing. The day we got the FURminator, my husband spent hours de-furminating the mutts and he was like a little kid going to town on those dogs. Needless to say the fur was flying; it was like shearing lambs. Men are easily amused. LOL... :P

Oh and I can fit my california king quilt in my front loader washer. No problem!

For "catsigler" & other pet owners with lots of fur --- there really is a vacuum that is absolutely & totally worth it's weight in gold! I have owned a Rainbow Vacuum for over 12 years & it is the only way I survive having 3 Persian cats. Without it I probably would have choked to death years ago.

The Rainbow "filters through water holding tank" everything and it doesn't get spewed back out in the air. (I swear there have been times my house has looked like "somebody blew a cat apart" - the hair is so bad -- & the Rainbow just sucks it up; traps it in the water; it also will filter the air for those pesky little bits of pet hair, dander floating around in the air!!!!)

Absolutely worth it's weight in gold!! Judie

I wash mine a couple of times a year, or depending on when they need it, regular wash, front loader and then into the dryer. The first time I washed one of my quilts in the washing machine I'm sure I stood outside the machine in a panic, hyperventilating, watching it go round and round. Now I don't think twice about it. In they go, like regular laundry, regular HE detergent. They always come out much nicer than when they went in. Love the pictures of the critters, but Bob kitty doesn't look too happy to me. I kind of get the feeling that he wasn't too happy to have his picture taken. He looks great for a cat going on 17. I don't generally have any problems with anyone once the quilts are made, it's when I'm making them! The second I lay out blocks or pieces of blocks on a table or counter one of my feline friends (I have three, all previous strays, from rescues) feels the need to come and lay down on the pieces I'm working on. If I didn't know better I would think the blocks called to them. Then starts the stretching, sprawling and of course grooming. I have a 4 bedroom home, but this always seems to be where they "need to" lay DB

I have an extra large Maytag front loader washing machine.

The ones that are suppose to use less water and be more efficant. It works really good if you don't over load it. I can wash a king size quilt or comforter in it with no problems.

The only times I may have a problem is when I try to stuff too much into it because I want to get my mountain of growing laundry down quicker (have 7 people in the house so there is a never ending mountain of laundry). Any ways that's the only time I would notice that it wasn't cleaning the clothes as well.

It's good to know that I am not wrong to wash my quilts as often as I do, LOL but the lady at the quilt store store thought I was nuts!, lol even the owner of the LQS tried telling the lady it was ok to wash the quilts as much as they were needed. But I guess some people get an idea in their head and they can't seem to accept anything else. Just like the "use only cotton thread" in quilts so they don't damage the fibers debate. :)

I always wash a quilt that I've made as a gift prior to giving it. That way any shrinkage that my occur has already done so, also to make sure it will all stay in one piece. For some reason I am always afraid that the quilts will just turn back into little pieces in the wash and I have to make sure they don't or I worry endlessly about it!

Crazy I know but we all have our quirks. ;)

Originally posted by mrsbishwit

It's good to know that I am not wrong to wash my quilts as often as I do, LOL but the lady at the quilt store store thought I was nuts!

Well, I don't think Harriet Hargrave is nuts and she washes her quilts regularly, and puts them in the dryer! And when I wash mine, I also put them in the dryer. The only quilt I ever ruined was a string quilt my grandmother made. This was before I knew anything about quilts. It got washed a lot (being used by our two boys). It wasn't quilted, but tied with embroidery floss. It's a wonder it lasted as long as it did. Some of the fabrics were probably from old clothes, and those have completely disintegrated, exposing the foundation on which they were sewn. Here is the quilt as it looks today.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2183517450052995396IHqmcc

Archived