What kind of thread to use?

Hello everyone,

My name is Cindy. I live in Gatesville Texas and I have been lurking around these forums for sometime now. I don’t own a longarm machine now but someday my dream is to own one. I have been sewing quilt tops for about 20 years now. I send my tops off to a very nice lady in Flower Mound Texas that does a great job on them.

I would like to say to everyone here that these forums are the best place to come to and find people that really help with anything they can. I also get to see all the wonderful pictures of quilts that everyone has done. They inspire me so much.

I have a question. I think this has been brought up before but I can’t seem to find it.

What is the best kind of thread to use for machine piecing quilt?

I have been using Coats & Clarks for awhile now. It used to be nice thread to use but I have noticed in the past couple of years that it isn’t that good anymore. I went to purchased some today and all I could see was a spool of fuzzy stuff. I am ready to try something new. Can anyone suggest anything for me?

Thank you for any help

Cindy

;)

Cindy,

I'm sure you will get a million responses to your question. I know of people you think you should only use 100% cotton, others who use whatever. Personally I like to piece with Signature cotton, I think it is 50/3. I like it because it is reasonably priced, holds up well and doesn't lint too badly. The key thing is to make sure the thread you are piecing with isn't stronger than the fabric you are sewing on. In most cases quilters use cotton fabric so that is why cotton thread is recomended. Over time if you use a stronger thread than the fabric it will cut the fabric. You can tell if your quilt tears directly on the seam line then it is probably the thread that caused it. I have had this happen on a quilt that I used coats & clark on so that is why I switched. It was a quilt I made back in the 80's. We have almost loved it to death!

Heidi

Archived