could this be a timing prob???please say no!!!

geri

Hi all,

First time posting here. I have an ult 1, have been doing this for almost 10 yrs-yikes!!!! Today, for the first time EVER I am getting enlongated stitches at an intermittent spacing.....then it will go back to regular length stitches, then bam! another long one will appear. I did all I can think of--changed needle-actually three times, cleaned and recleaned for lint, sprayed with WD4, re-oiled, checked bobbin, removed and cleaned and replaced blue thingy from inside bobbin, then replaced whole bobbin with a new one--actually the one in my machine had been in there for a very long time without any problem. I am using the same thread I always use, the prewound bobbin is from a box from apqs-the usual; I am doing nothing weird, just usual freemotion quilting, quilt is just a plain ole cotton pieced top. Still getting long stitches intermittently....so I shut down before I breakdown and as a last resort, here I am!!!BooHoo, if this is a timing problem, I am taking a trip to Iowa--I live in Illinois--or is there someone in Illinois designated as a tech???? Since I cannot quilt I will be here tomorrow, hoping for a solution or I will be packing up to drive to Iowa.....

Not in good stitches....

Geri

ult 1

Have you done a search on tension issues yet? There are some excellent info on this site that have already been gone over that may help you figure it out.

One thing you can look for to see if it is a timming issue is at the spots where the stitches seem elongated are there needle holes in the fabric where the elongated stitch is? This is a sign that it could be a timming issue vs a tension issue.

Good luck

Hi Geri

Based on my "vast knowledge" (ahem. Sarcasm), it sure sounds like timing to me. Mine was just out of time, and my DH put it back together for me while I was at work. Granted, he's more mechanically minded than I, but the manual is really well written, good photographs, and wonderful support via the phone with APQS. If all else fails, he's off on Friday, I'm sure he could fly out there and fix yours for you too.

Good luck,

Beth

Hi Geri

Have you ever replaced your hook assembly? It could just be worn or even a little loose. Hold the hook assembly and pull and push backwards to see if there is any play, you might only need to tighten it a little. Ring Amy in the morning, I'm sure she will help you work out whats causing the skipped stitches.

Good luck

Sue in Australia

Archived