How do you get rid of wrinkles?

Frogger, try mixing two teaspoons of vinegar with a bottle of water, and then lightly mist the fabric. Let it soak in, and then press. (It will have a bit of an odor, too, just so you know). Of course, TEST it first on the edge of the fabric before you use it. Something in the vinegar seems to help release the wrinkles.

I have a steamer, but the upright kind does not work well for this application because you can't put any pressure on the fabric as you steam. A good industrial iron works better (especially if it has a separate steam reservoir.)

Dawn

Dawn

Yes, I too thought "wrinkle remover" some miracle cream for my face and neck perhaps?? But, no, just fabric wrinkles. The above advice is excellent and what I do. Can't add anything more except that Loreal Age Perfect is good for preventing wrinkles. Hee hee. Hope that helps!!:P:P

Mary Beth...LOL! ;) too funny

Can I ask a dumb question????

How come the customer brings wrinkled backings and expects the quilter to do all the work unwrinkling it? I know...I know...sometimes it cannot be avoided but heavy in-set wrinkles should be taken care of before these show up to you for quilting. Right? ;) And, if for some reason you have to perform miracles to get this fabric to lay flat, do you charge extra for your time and "fussing" with it??

Shana,

The quilts that come in the mail are the worst. Sometimes it looks like they've been folded and sitting in the box for months. I usually don't iron, unless it's really bad. Usually just rolling on the rollers will get the wrinkles out. Fold lines have to be sprayed and ironed usually.

Shana,

That wasn't a dumb question at all....usually they are ironed or at least should have been, but there are some you will get that aren't and they are hard to fix....I've even sent some home with customers to take care of cuz, I just didn't want to bother with it. And a polite way of telling them I wouldn't be doing that again, after three or four already done without extra charge.

BUT, Teresa is even more correct...its like the boxes set in even the littlest fold line and it takes three hot rocka, a bench press and a ton of steam to even get it to look okay, but until its washed again, there is a good chance you will be contending with wrinkles most of the quilt. Because no matter how much you iron you just don't get all the tiny ones out.

As long as you have your botton roller tension fairly tight it will help bring out most of them, but you don't want the roller to be so tight that when you let it go the whole quilt bounces into a tight ball. Not good when that happens:cool:

And No, Mary Beth, I don't think there is any kind of cold cream out there that will help this issue....but then again,,,who knows might have to try it to really see for sure...:P

OOOooooo, try that new stuff. I think it's called Best Press. It is simply wonderful and is smells good too! I had some extremely wadded up and wrinkled beyond belief muslin and I sprayed a bit on there, not a whole lot just a couple of squirts and let it set a minute and then ironed away and it came out as smooth as could be and it smelled heavenly!

http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?prod_id=6434&criteria=best+press

LOL Mary Beth!!!! :D:D:D:D

I prewash then iron dry everything. No wrinkles. But then, if you're using very wide backing..... I guess you need to roll it up like they do batting in stores. Then you wouldn't have the center fold anyway. I am going to try the new stuff I saw at my last LQS's BOM. Maybe that's what Judy's talking about. Gotta get a bottle today! Thanks for reminding me.

Well, darn! I thought someone had found a miracle cream for wrinkles. I got tickled at my aunt a few years back. She's in her eighties and told me she'd been using a wrinkle cream for years. She doesn't really think it does any good since she has lots of wrinkles anyway, but is afraid to stop just in case it does work!

Okay, back to the wrinkles in fabric. I'm with Melanie. I lightly sprinkle the back with distilled water and roll it back and forth a couple of times on my machine. I do put just a little tension on it with my hands as I'm rolling it. I'm always amazed at how well it works.

If I ever get a backing that is so wrinkled that the trick above doesn't work I'll call the quilter and let her decide if she wants to come and get it or pay me $20-$35.00 to iron it. Those big backs are a real pain to iron, at least they are for these short arms.

I've been using a trick I got from another message board. Put a capful of Downy Fabric Softner (the blue stuff) in a spray bottle. Add enough water to fill it up to the quart level and shake it a little bit. Spray lightly and then roll the fabric. I even use it on laundry -- I put the shirt, pants or skirt on a hanger, spray lightly and then hang it up and almost all of the wrinkles fall out. Same principle as those fabric releasers but very cheap.

Kathy

Archived