NEW Longarmer in the area asked me to train her

Hi everyone

Recently ladies are contacting me asking me to do a longarm class locally and just this week I was contacted by a really nice lady expecting her Green Millie be in and set up within the month. She asked me for some private beginner etc lessons. I was so flattered and thrilled. I hope to teach someday and this will help me develope teaching skills. First of all I'm learning myself everyday and still I have some techniques that I haven't even tried yet but I have done most of what I would consider beginner and many advanced.

I was just so thrilled that she asked me and of course I said absolutely I would help anyway that I could. I think that would be very fun. I have been wanting to get a longarm club started locally so we can help one another.

You know I believe there are enough quilts to go around but what would you do? I haven't had much competition locally to be concerned about and I am not taking quilts until February 2008. Been a very hectic year to say least for my family.

Anyway for those of you who know me personally do you think I could teach. I'm not interested in the BIG leagues just yet but I know you will set me straight on this. Would you Train your future competition? I would and will. But someday I could regret that decision. NOT!!!!!

Any opinions on this. Tell me honestly. What would I charge for a day class? I plan to keep it very reasonable. Not out to get rich just want some time with others who share my passion.

hugs grammie

Grammie,

I think that you can do anything that you set your mind to.:)

And I think that you don't have anything to worry about teaching a newbie. It is a win-win situation. The newbie will get the benefit of learning from a pro and you can feel good about giving somebody a good start. You remember how scary it was when you started.

Go for it. :)

Grammie, well if I had the opportunity and didn't live half way across the globe, I would let you teach me! :) I think you are an awesome quilter and not only that, I think it takes a certain type of person to be a GOOD instructor (not every fabulous quilter has that gift) but I think you do have this gift to teach others so they "get it."

So....GO FOR IT!

I just started attending a local Longarm Quilter's guild in my area. It's a small group and I've heard someone there refer to each other as "competition" but I beg to differ with that thought... Why can't we all share together to be the best group of Longarm Quilters in the area? That way, we'd all be somewhat of a "team" and develop our talents and skills because we all helped each other to be the best we could be and (yah...I'm dreaming here, but...) maybe after that our reputations as quality quilters would be spreading and we'd all get even more quilting customers would just happen because of this? Yah I'm a dreamer but I just don't like to look at it as competing with eachother; we can all help eachother and share in the wealth. Does that make sense or do I need to get my head out of the sand...LOL! :D

And, this is what I say about training your "future" competition... personally, I would never even think that was an issue--ever. If it were an issue, we all wouldn't have so many quilters and quilt instructors and quilt books and quilt seminars and quilt classes and quilt shows. Would we? There is way too much of this quilty stuff around to feed every hungry soul who wanted a bite of the action. I think that quilting is the #1 hobby and has annual revenues in the multi millions. What can be wrong with perpetuating this industry by helping new, fresh minds? I suppose we could compare it to teaching our younsters to learn all they can learn in school, college, etc... if we didn't train our children to be the best at what they could be we wouldn't have the growth and technology we have today. Should we not teach our childern for fear of them becoming competition with us? I think competition is good; striving to be the best is what we all should be...that includes quilters. :) There is plenty to go around and supporting each other will only benefit the greater good of quilting.

Who knows: Maybe some day down the road I will be taking a class from you....the famous Grammie Tammie and her Traveling Quiltmobile the "World Renown Award-Winning Quilter and Teacher"

Grammie........I say go for it!! What a compliment!! You are a very good quilter and she obviously trusts you to teach her the correct way of doing things. Remember how scared you were when you started and now look at what you can do......I think you could have a group together real soon and how fun would that be??? You can do it.....I know you can!!

Renae

Grammie!!!

How cool, I say go for it. This is what you want to eventually do, so no time like the present.

As far as training the "future competition", like you said there is plenty of customers to go around (new ones are born every year). Also everyone develops their own style of quilting and you already have a few years/experience under your belt which will always appeal to some customers. And your current customer base will always be loyal. So fear not :cool: And have some fun with it.

Good Luck

Hi,

What a compliment to you and your skills.

So far I have been teaching girls that get the short arm system. What I do is give a general beginning intro (loading, simple quilting, etc) for a couple of hours. After that if they want to learn more, then I charge an hourly amount.

Char

Tammie, I believe it is never a bad thing when you work to put something good into the world. Just think, if you declined to teach, then the gals go to someone else who is more than willing, you will see that other teacher's sphere of influence grow and yours stay stagnant. Wouldn't you be sorry then? Now just think, someday you may need someone to help you on a project, and all your long-time friends are busy. Call a student! Or just to have dinner with when you DH is out o' town...

It's never a bad thing to have more friends, and when you teach, you make a friend for life. (Hey, did I just make up a new saying?! :D )

Hi Tammie

I am a newbie...I've had my Millenium about 3 weeks. I would LOVE to come to Beaumont and take a class or 2...or more! I live in NE Louisiana, about 4 hours from you. I know you are just considering giving classes at this time, but I so hope you decide to teach! Hugs, Karen Simons in Columbia, La.

Tammie, you are a natural. As your friend from Illinois, I know you can teach others. And you would make it fun too. You have the patience and the love for others. You know all about lesson plans and you always learn more yourself when you teach others. You will not only validate your wonderful talent, but you will be able to share that talent with those in need of learning the skills. Most definitely you can handle teaching!!! Teaching is basically being a friend who shares...and you definitely have that ability. And just think about your students going away with skills that you taught them.

As professor Grow stated "...a teacher is a mirror that shows not only the self but the path and its choices, the task and its demands--the difficulties, the joys. To all and from all, the teacher is a learner, a person--and a prism through which the ordinary continuously reveals itself to be miraculous"

Wow, I see no choice! Go for it.

Guest Smile&nod

You can look at it from a practical pov as well.

During my testing, my martial arts guro made his decision not based on what I could do, but based on what my students could do. His reasoning was that I cannot truly master a skill until I am able to teach it to someone else to the point that THEY can perform the skill. It means I have understanding of the technique and the ability to develop the skillset in another person.

For any of you quilter types, keep that in mind the next time you get stumped on a technique you are struggling with. Consider how you would teach that to someone else, look at it from a different pov, and you'll be surprised at how suddenly easier it is to master.

Having said that, I need a helluva lot of practice on a machine before I try anything that you've all done. I leave that pro stuff to the wifey (fast is somewhat passable, slow and paying attention to detail results in etch-a-sketch styled stitching ;))

Archived