Innovations/extracurricular

Hey everyone, I was on vacation too and wasn't able to follow the Innovations thread while I was gone.

Our Central Oregon group is meeting this week on Thursday the 23rd to firm up our rooms and travel arrangements together. Some of our best (FUN!) people are not coming this year because of scheduled surgeries but we promised to go have as much fun for them as we could on their behalf!

Here's some of the places we like to eat. Down past the Spaghetti Factory and across the street there is a place that makes great oven-fired pizza. It's just past the biker bar on the corner. [i bet Karen McT. knows this place!] :cool:

The Blue Olive is a great night out. It's a really cool place for dinner and martinis. To get there we take a walk across the Chihully glass bridge ~~ which is beautiful by the way ~~ and down past the art glass museum (pyramid shaped building) to get there.

We're staying at the Marriott right across the street from the convention center. They have a fabulous restaurant below on streetside. You'll have to budget just a little extra for a night out there, it's worth it. The spa there is wonderful too. In fact, I might spend most of one day there! After all, I've been working hard and I deserve it. ;)

A short walk down the street, across the street from the train station, is a really neat little cafe and boutique called Grassis (sp?) The shop is downstairs and the cafe is above. Great place for lunch, tea, dessert...and shopping!

Oh yeah, if you are one of those people who take breakfast in a cup, Starbucks is right across the street from the Marriott, but that location is closed on Sunday.

** And this is a biggie. The Tacoma Art Museum, within sight and walking distance of the convention center, is opening a show of the Gees Bend quilters the last day of Innovations. We all need to go see it. So don't leave town early!

Put your walkin' shoes on gals and don't leave home without your credit cards! :P ~~ Eva H.

Thanks Eva for the great info for extra fun in Tacoma during Innovations! Hope you had a great vacation!

I want to add that our big Southwest Washington Fair is also running during this time. This fair is our largest and a lot of fun!

There is a quilt show--big and beautiful. Lots of vendors selling everything from DSMs to the famous juicers and knives, food-food-food and pigs and ducks and cows! Also exhibits of art, photography, jewelry, handcrafts, the works!

Best of all, there is always a booth full of Crocs to try on and to purchase--I get new ones every year there.

The fair is in Puyallup---about 20 miles from Tacoma. If you are taking extra days for vacation around Innovations, this would be a nice side-trip.

I will firm up plans for the Thursday dinner soon. If anyone wants to join and hasn't mentioned it on the other post about the show, please U2U me with a name and number of people.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Museum of Glass? Must have been built (Oh LOLOLOL!! the first time I typed this I spelled it "quilt") since '93.... Just having fun here, no serious disparagy (sp?) meant, of course... (where's the smiley rolling his eyes and whistling? :D ) Is there a bay in Tacoma? Never noticed from the freeway or the restaurant where I once met a friend who was in an opera performing there at the time.... or the Methodist get-togethers out at UPS...... (that's there, isn't it, somewhere? can't remember much of anything from back then now, LOL! Kids got all my brains!!)

Golly Linda, you guys are going to have so much fun. Wish I could be there. Quilt shops, restaurants and a fair. What a tour guide you are.

I decided that I'm going to concentrate on going to MQS and save my $$ for that trip. I have already made my hotel reservation. Sure hope we have some nice places to visit while we are there.........................

.........................................Do you hear that ,Mary Beth?? :P

I did enjoy Innovations last year; lots of classes but I was not with a group so stayed pretty close. I did get to see my Goth-boy son in Seattle and go to the Needle, too. Everything is so green there. Of course, theres a reason for that. ;);) It only rained on me once, though , while I was there, on the Needle as a matter of fact.

I know that you guys are going to have a blast.

September is a crazy month for me with finishing the home remodel before WINTER hits us here in the GREAT (soon to be WHITE) NORTH. My kitchen is torn up right now (a contractor is installing new quartz countertops) and in just one more month (mid to late October and we will once again be covered with snow...) Plus end of Sept. DH and I are leaving on vacation to Upstate NY to visit the folks. We are renting a Cadillac or some kind of cushy ride like that (woo hoo---you only live once, right?) and we will be driving the country roads (enjoying the fall colors) through New Hampshire, Vermont, the Adirondaks and maybe on our way back to Boston for the plane home we can drive through the Catskills and see my lovely Bonnie in Elizaville. MAYBE!! :) I've never seen New England in the fall, so I am excited!

I am super duper busy with my day job in Sept, too. Plus, I am in charge (again) for managing our annual United Way Day of Quilting. This year we are making flannel baby quilts for newborns and also some for preemies. I just made some samples with this new fabric that is OHHH SOOO Soft (a cross between Minkee and fleece). :) These all go to our local Resource Center for Parents and Children in Fairbanks. My local fabric shop gave me a discount for the fabric because it is a charity event (they help me every year). Our Day of Quilting at work is Friday, Sept. 21. So, if any of you feel the urge to help, please come on up and bring your sewing machine! :P

Anyway, Linda, I wish I could make it to Innovations this year but it's just too crazy for me right now. I promise, though, that next year I am definitely coming to Innovations! I will start saving my $$ for classes, expenses and hotel and spaghetti dinner and I can use an Alaska Airlines mileage ticket to get there. Count me in next year, OK?

(((hugs))) and have fun!

Shana

• 2 weeks later...

Just one word of warning -- Downtown Tacoma sort of rolls up the carpet at night. Last year, even the Starbucks closed at like 7:00! They weren't open early in the morning either!

There are good places to go though.

Linda

Archived