60/40 Batting???

Sorry Jeanette, I use Quilters Dream 70/30 in white and Quilters Dream in the Black. If they want anything else they have to provide it. I just don't

like it when they bring the cheap stuff but then it isn't my quilt. Hope some-

one can help you. I have heard the wool is great and I am wanting to try

that myself.....when the money is right.

Renae

Jeanette, I too have been wondering what the favorite batting was of the more experienced quilters. Do the LA machines react differently to better/lesser quality of batting? I am in need of purchasing another large roll and want to get some feedback. (thanks in advance!)

Hi Kathy,

My machine (Nolting24) takes on any batting with ease. For myself I like the wool bats, and (gasp) Thinsulate, along with Warm&White for flatter wall-hangings and a poly-mix for the many charity quilts I make; the kids just like puffy fluffy quilts. You know it seems to be only actual quilters who like the flat look in a quilt:-) The general public likes fat thick quilts. QD is a nice bat (depending on which one you get) but I am not overly impressed with it. If I am going to pay a top price I would prefer wool or silk mixture bats. However when it comes to my customers, I live in a rural area without access to the Hobbs 80/20 batting now (Joanns no longer carries it) which is what all of my ladies seem to prefer. Most of them are retired ladies on fixed incomes and either can't or won't pay the price for QD. . I finally decided to carry batting on the roll for them and one of them asked about the 60/40 which I have never used. A quilt shop (now closed) in the area carried QD for the three years she was open and never sold any at all. They would drive or send someone 50 miles to buy the Hobbs which is less expensive. Very few of them have computer access either. So, trying to find someone who can give me input on 60/40 and maybe how it differs from the Hobbs 80/20. My quilting is not a business, it is a self-indulgent hobby and I quilt for others as much or little choose. I do have a soft spot for the little old ladies tho:-)

Just finished a quilt with Warm Blend--it's 50-50 and was hard to distinguish from W&W in feel. It quilted up beautifully with no bearding (top was black and batik and backer was med. tone batik) with no pokies or tension issues. No kidding!! I like it. Haven't used a 60-40---is that Hobbs?

Guest Linda S

I received a sample of the 60/40 in the mail. It feels very nice - also very durable. You couldn't pull it apart without some serious effort. It is slightly more lofty than warm and natural or warm and white.

Linda

Archived