Design wall - buy or make???

I want to have a design wall in my sewing room and I need one like yesterday. I am in the process of pieicing a quilt designed by Jackie RObinson called Breezy Log and it has a lot of pieces.

I know this has been discussed before in this forum but my search turned up nothing....SOOOOO

Of the people out there that do have a design wall, did you purchase one or did you make one? If your purchased, what size, and company name and if possible where available on the internet.

And those of you that made yours, what did you make it with? I seem to remember Cheryl sharing hers and the way it was made, but I can't find the post!!

When I get this puppy done I know I will need advice on HOW to quilt it so if you aren't too busy - check out her website and look at the Breezy log picture - www.animas.com

Thanks!!!

Beth,

You can do either one...the boughten ones that are special for the design wall have a grid, but if you don't really need that, do like I and most of us have done...get a piece of good quality felt and staple it to your wall....AND there you go.

I was able to find felt 80 inches wide.... Mine is a white, but some bit darker color...lots of choices out there.

My design wall is made from foam-core board that you buy at the hardware/Home Depot store in 4 x 8' sheets. It is basically compressed insulation and light as a feather. I covered mine with a wide flannel and stapled it on the back. Then my DH put a frame hanging goodie on it so I could move it to another room if I needed to. Works great.

The one I'm putting together is with the foam board as described above - i've got mine from the Home Depot, they sell it CHEAP in big pieces. And then covering it with a flannel backed table cloth. Lean it against the wall when using it and then sliding it under a bed or something when I need to get it out of the way.

I bought one that is really just thin super-wide polyester batting that's sprayed with adhesive. I can't remember the brand. It's gotten mixed reviews. Mine sticks well to the rough painted wall but the side for the fabric doesn't hold well, so periodically I just spray it with adhesive and it's good as new. If I have a really big heavy piece, I add a pin. I like that I can take it down and fold it up. I'm sure you could make your own with batting.

Hubby made mine, 2, 4x8 sheets of thin plyboard, trimmed in back with 2 x 2's all around the back edge. Covered with a dark country red felt (as my quilting room ..is taupe and dk red. and sewing cabinet(s) are dark red as well.) Then hubby found the studs in the wall, and hung it up on the wall. Easy, inexpensive, and I have a floor to ceiling design wall.

Don't laugh.......

When my son moved out and I set up a sewing room I took the top queen-sized mattress down to the basement and turned the back of the box springs into a design wall propped against the wall. I covered it with flannel and could pin into the non-woven fabric that covered the underside.We have since sold the set--now I need a new design wall so thanks for asking the right question!!!

This is a great discussion! I re-did my sewing loft and PIPS room (Projects In Pretty Sacks) with the whole reason being I'd dedicate one wall as a design wall. Well, it didn't happen -- too many PIPS!

So, at the Dallas Quilt Celebration last year I purchased the DESIGN WALL by Cheryl Anns. It is portable (breaks down to 6" x 6" x 12" and comes with it own carrying case) and free standing (only needs 3' x 6' floor space).

I ABSOLUTELY love it!! It solves all my problems. Comes in two sizes, I have the larger one (72" x 72"). Very easy to assemble; like a tent for camping.

Here is the information: toll free 1-877-234-0747 fax 541-884-2789

website: cherylannsdesignwall.com that has step by step instructions with photos, a streaming assembly video, images of the Design Wall in use, user reviews, and tech support.

I use it a home all the time with it sitting right next to the sewing machine once I get the layout like I want it; no more getting blocks/units out of order! Works super for weekend quilting retreats when the floor space is scarce for layout. I'm a more efficient piecer with this tool.

If you are local to Dallas, Texas, United Notions carries it. Or, you can be a dealer for the Design Wall when a certain quantity is purchased for re-sale.

Hope this helps you out as much as it has helped me.

Allison C. Bayer

Allison's Machine Quilting

Established 1997

Plano, Texas

APQS Millennium 12'

I too have the foam insulation from Home Depot and a flannel backed table cloth. it works great! I have a smaller piece of the foam that I prop up next to my sewing machine covered with left over batting that I use when I am laying out a block or sewing rows together. That is invaluable to me because I seem to have a gremlin in my shop that hides things like pieces of blocks, my tweezers I use to pull threads when I FROG and now he likes my flashlight. he doesn't seem to bother stuff on my foam boards though:P

The cheapest way I made mine I tacked a flannel sheet to the wall and it works great.

The size you want depends on the size sheet you get. I happened to have one it was a twin top flannel and it covers most of a whole wall. But when I get my sewing studio set up I will get a larger sheet.

Cowgirl

Marcie

I used a King Sized packaged Hobbs 80/20 batt. DH and I nailed it to a 1x2 board (two, actually, top and bottom) and he screwed it into the wall. Not very portable, but it works. I was in a hurry and he came up with that idea. The wood on the bottom keeps it straight and also keeps it from blowing around.

I have Warm and Natural just stapled to my wall. Another idea that I read somewhere, you can purchase at JoAnn's where all their fusible bonding stuff is kept, bonding with a grid already printed on it and pin that to the foam boards. It sticks on there like on felt.

Polystyrene insulation boards covered with batting, attached over a closet with cheap bull clips and a nail. Super lightweight, easy to remove and store elsewhere. Sadly, since moving from WA, I have absolutely NO wall space for a permanent board.:(

Interesting wall treatment, huh! A wallpaper removal project that has "stalled".;)

post--13461898413357_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by HotquiltsInteresting wall treatment, huh! A wallpaper removal project that has "stalled".;)

Ha! :D

Hey, Christine, it looks great, really, and serves two purposes: A easy way to cover up the closet contents, and it's a quick solution for a design wall, too. It works for me! PS: I can understand the "stalled" wallpaper job... we DO have OTHER priorities, don't we! ;)

Instead of putting staples directly into flannel to attach it to a wall, a friend put a strip of velcro on her wall above her bi-fold closet doors. She then put velcro across one side of her piece of flannel. That way if she has company and needs the room for sleeping, she can easliy take it down. And you barely notice the velcro.

Archived