Extended Base Plates

Does anyone have the extended base plate for APQS machines made by Donita Reeves? I'm considering purchasing one and I'd like to know how it compares the the Hartley base plate that I currently use.

Do you leave it on the machine all the time?

If not, how easy is it to take off or put back on?

Does it have any drag if you leave it on all the time?

It looks smaller than the Hartley base plate. How does it compare in size?

Do you have problems with larger rulers like a 12" circle?

Does it have the open area in the back like the Hartley base plate does? I find that my ruler sometimes gets "stuck" or I get a little glitch in the stitching when I hit that open area. I'm also wondering if maybe I just put too much pressure on the quilt and that is what is causing this problem.

Are there other base plates being made that are worth considering? I did a google search and the only other one that came up was from Off the Edge quilting.

Thanks,

Debbi

Debbi,

I bought my Millie used in March this year - it came with a RulerMate (from Donita, I guess) already installed. I love using it - don't have any problems with drag, but I've never put the regular plate back on, so I don't know that I would be a good test subject! I've taken the RulerMate off several times - to clean the thread cutter or to check the bobbin area from above, and it's easy, just a couple of screws to remove and lift it off. Mine is a 10"x12" oval. I've never used larger ruler with mine, just a 12" SID from A1.

Hi Debbi--

I have this base and consider it a good investment.

It is one flat, smooth oval with no open areas to worry about.

There is no drag either front or back, but if there is, simply raise the rollers a bit.

I take mine off when I'm not using rulers, it is heavy but I don't notice any extra weight when I stitch.

Installation is easy. Remove the needleplate and put it and the two screws and the four washers in a safe place (don't ask!) Install with the two screws provided and there you go!!

Have fun!

Sorry Barb.....

The four washers raise the needle plate high enough for the thread cutter to work. No thread cutter, no washers!! But if you remove them and lose ONE on the floor, you will need knee pads, Shana's miner's hat and an hour to find it!! That's a visual, isn't it!!

Can you use this on the Millie with the thread cutter?? I have noticed that on some of the others that the thread cutter is a problem. I have the Heartly Fence cover plate and I also had a problem in the back with the hole but I went to Lowes and had them cut me a small piece to fit in there. Didn't cose much at all.

I have the base plate from Donna, and I never take it off, but I have a ULT II, and it fits perfectly under the front rollers and doesn't get caught at all...I have just started using rulers, but so far haven't run into any trouble.

I don't have a Harley fence, but I do use something that my hubby made to do the same thing, and it works very well with my set up....no hang ups.

Hi Debbi-

I have the Rulermate for Millenium with thread cutter. I, too, had problems with the Hartley base extender, not staying on, and the ruler catching. I have not had any problems with the Rulermate. I notice a slight amount of drag at times, but if I am going to do any ruler work on a quilt, will leave it on. I will take it off for pantos. It is easy to screw on and off. I am VERY careful to keep the washers, screws, and original plate all together in a ziplock bag. I haven't used a 12" circle template with it, but it might be a little small for that. (I use the Hartley fence for larger circles).

Hope this helps you!

Archived