thread inventory

I needed to purchase a green thread today that I didn?t have for a customer quilt. And it occurred to me as I was looking through my threads to double check that didn?t have what I was ordering, that I should figure out a way to organize my threads. (currently they?re plastic drawers sort of by color)

How do you keep track of your threads?

I?m considering several ideas and thought I?d see what everyone else is doing.

:)

Guest Linda S

I see a lot of people have their cones of thread on spool racks on their walls. Mine are just on the top shelf of a shelving unit, at about 3.5' high, so I can see what I have. I also keep my threads in their thread bags so they don't get dried out.

Linda

I store my thread in drawers in a plastic storage unit. It has 3 drawers and I put cool colors in one and warm colors in another and metallics in the 3rd. It also keeps them from drying out and getting dusty. When I get many more I may have to do something different, though.

I store my thread in 3 drawer plastic bins purchased at Wally-world. I have 2 of these - 6 drawers--sorted by l. Bottom line, 2. Light cottons, 3. Dark cottons, 4. Cotton varigated, 5. Poly varigated, and 6. Poly and metalic. Each thread is also stored in a plastic bag with color number or name, manufacturer name, etc.

I also have a note book with plastics sheets that are divided - think they are used for ball cards. I have the paper bobbins that are sold for embroidery thread wound with each thread. I also list the color, type (cotton or poly) and manufacturer. Signature, Superior, A & E, YLI, etc.

I use this note book to show the customer the thread choices. I can unwind the thread and lay on top of the quilt to check color choices. It is also portable, so it's easy to carry to the LQS if I met a customer there. I can post a picture of it if anyone wants to see it.

I keep my threads in a shelf w/doors with the plastic wrapper on them. I was told by thread people that if it gets dusty or light it will not last long before drying out and breadage. I heard of storing in freeze or stritzing and put in zipper lock bag and put in freezer over night by. Put in order as to color code, to cotton, poly, varigated, metalic by colors and make sure I check the brand, sometimes it matters on brand. One cabinet for reg. sewing machine and another for machine quilting. Nita

Archived