Website builder and newbie to boards

Hello fellow quilters,

We're thinking of combining our various work and life experiences to form a quilting business. One of us has quilted for nearly 30 years, another for 15, and another (me) is a recent convert (about 10 years) - while working at various other forms of employment.

While reading the excellent posts and advice available here I've noticed that a few folks have had questions about websites, advertising, etc...

Since that's my background I thought, 'hey! maybe I can supplement our fledgling (and still in the planning stages) shop with website designs for other quiltshops'.

So, I have a few questions:

Do all of you have sites?

Are you even interested in one?

If you want a site, what are you looking for it to do? (Generate sales, simply advertise, just be a web presence, etc...).

Would you want your own email (ie, Peggy@fabulousquilting.com or whatever)?

How often would you want it updated?

Does your shop host classes?

I'm not soliciting work, really. I'm just curious as to the market out there. I know many of the quilters I know don't have the time/expertise to build and maintain their own sites.

Thanks for your time,

Pol

Hi,

I am in the process of setting up a website. I'm hoping that the website will help generate sales. I'm setting this up myself rather than using a professional web designer for two reasons. One is the expense, the other is the convenience that I can update it immediately without having to go through someone else or work on their schedule.

I am also new and just beginning to build my website. I have registered my domain name, but I have not built the website yet. Go Daddy is the web site I used and they have tools to help build it or they will build it for a price. I am planning on doing most of the work myself, we'll see how it goes, I may be begging for help and paying.

The advice I have received about websites - you must have one if you are in business.

Make it simple and convenient.

It doesn't have to be fancy, but people have to be able to get there and get the information they want, pricing, instructions, contact information, etc.

Yes, generate sales, advertising, etc.

What's the best domain? Or whatever? I want a website that can look beautiful without a bunch of half naked women or men popping up or running across the top in a banner or something. I want a website I can make mine, I can keep yucki-ness off of, and I don't half to pay an arm and a leg for. I want a website that will work with this overloaded computer, and won't constantly be down or something. Anybody have suggestions for this?

Archived