Looking for advice from George users

cbear

I am seriously considering a George, but I have not had a chance to try one yet as it will be a long trip to the nearest dealer. I've read most of the messages from the last year and I'm hoping George users out there wouldn't mind answering a few more questions. :)

One of my biggest concerns is how sensitive the foot petal is. On my Bernina I can take a stitch at a time just with my foot pedal, if I want to. Is this possible with the George?

How difficult is it to change thread weights? Is there a lot of tension adjusting and if so how easy is it to accomplish. I'm still getting used to the idea of being aggresive with the tension controls. :o

I've read that the hopping foot is offset for better vision. Do you all find this to be true? Can you trace back through your line of stitching easily?

How often do you have to adjust things like the timing? How easy is that?

I have had George since March and I love him.

I found that there was no training necessary on this. I am able to go as slow or fast as I want. There is a knob that can set the speed to not go too fast if you are concerned about that.

The foot pedal reacts exactly like my DSM. I can do a single stitch with it.

I have no problem with tension. After each thread change, I take a sample piece of muslin (with the batting) and do some swirls on it to test the tension. I have not adjusted my bobbin at all. (I admit that adjusting the bobbin scares me). Fortunately I have only had to adjust the top to get what I want. I did mark the tension knob with a spot of red polish. That way I can adjust 1/4 turn at a time.

The stitching line is visible for me. I am able to move around easily.

I also haven't had to adjust the timing at all. I just put a drop of oil on the wicks when the wicks start to dry out and keep it clean of dust.

I did not buy my machine with the intention of starting a business. I have loved the entire process of making a quilt , including the quilting part, and I had put my DSM through the paces for many years. I wanted a long arm, but didn't have the space for it. When I saw George in a magazine, I knew that I had found what I needed. I also didn't have a chance to try it out and bought it without testing. That was a little scary, but I haven't regetted it for a second.

Hope that this helps.

Any other questions, just ask.

Carole

Thank you, Carole. I did get brave and order a George, sight unseen and am expecting it within the week. Everything I've read leads me to believe it will be an easy transition. I'm very glad to hear from someone who has been running one for a while now. Thanks again!

hi cindy --

i've also been considering a george and went to my local quilt store yesterday and he had the floor model for sale, so i bought it. i'm picking it up today and i can't wait to get started!

i played with the machine for about an hour and it sews beautifully. it really doesn't look like it will be difficult to get the hang of. compared to my dsm it seems pretty simple... not a lot of bells and whistles. setting the tension makes me a little nervous because i have a viking with the sensor sytem and it takes care of tension. they don't have any numbers or marks on the tension knob, but i'm sure with a little practice it should be ok.

i asked the dealer about maintainance and he said just oil it each time you use it and it should be ok. the only time you'll need to bring it in is if there is a problem with the timing, or something else we can't troubleshoot over the phone, which he doesn't expect will happen often, if at all.

btw, while i was testing the machine a women who purchased one in march came into the store and we chatted a bit. she loves her machine and has had no problems. if she has questions she calls customer service and she said they've been great.

i'm curious to know how you like your machine and i'll keep you posted with my progress.

good luck.

Hi again;

The only thing that I would add is on the oiling.

I was also told to oil every time that I used it. That led to oil dripping out of the machine on to the work surface and under the machine. I had to wipe it down before I could put a quilt in. I read here that everyone over oils in the beginning. You just have to learn what your machine needs. I check the wicks with my finger and oil accordingly. I don't have the dripping problem anymore.

Carole

March must have been a busy month! I, also, receive my George this past March. I will ditto Carole in regard to how easy George is to operate. I was also told to oil George each time. Again, I have been doing what Carole says by checking before oiling.

George is sooooo much fun. The cabinet is awesome! I am anticipating a long lasting relationship!

Lori

Hi all,

I too, bought my George in March. And I have said before, that I love having him around. My kinda man, don't have to cook for, clean up after or explain where all that fabric came from;). I really can't add anything to what the others have said. I bought mine sight unseen--no test drive or even a feel. And do not regret it. He looks nice in my front room. So to those who are getting one, You will really like it, if you like to free motion on your DMS you will adjust very easily. Good luck. Judy

Hi to all,

I have had my George since July 2006, and love him dearly. Oil only when the wicks are showing just a slight shine to the fingertip. You should also clean out the bobbin case with air and a soft brush, add a drop of oil - I do this after every quilt, more often if it is a big quilt with lots of bobbins used. Yes, you can do a stitch at a time, also stitch very slowly when necessary - my SID is better now than ever (still not fun, though). Great control! Well over a year, many quilts, I think this love affair is going to last!

Joann

Independence, MO

Hi All George Owners and to be owners,

I purchase my George around March 2006 also. Agree with all. Love it. Have one question - what do you use for bobbins. Do you purchase prewound bobbins and if so, where do you get them. I did buy some on line but it was quite expensive. I would like to get various colors. I have tried to wind some bobbins on the bobbin winder that I got with George but for some reason I have not been successful. Is there a way to slow it down? It goes so fast it winds the thread unevenly. Not good. Appreciate your help. Sorry for rambling.

Emily

Hi Emily,

I have used Superior Bottom Line pre-wound bobbins, but have not had the best of luck with them. It is the only Superior product I can say that about, as their thread is the best I have used. I use the bobbon winder - yes, it is really fast, but I've not had the problem with uneven winding. I suggest you contact the APQS troubleshooting number - maybe they have a suggestion for better results. They are great people and have always been very helpful to me when I have called (I had a millie before George - loved it, too, but found the standing to be too much for my arthritis). Meanwhile, try winding the bobbins on your DSM - it works for me on my Bernina.

Joann

Emily,

I wind my own bobbins. I ordered more from APQS, so I just do enough for the project. I also ordered more bobbin cases so I do not have to adjust the tension with each new thread. So far I have only used a few threads so that works very well. Don't be afraid of the bobbin winder. It is a bit fast, I hang on to the thread end while it starts and either it will twist off, or I cut it when it is done winding. I find it is easier for me to push the "thingy" over the bobbin down when I want it to start. Just make sure it is threaded correctly. Another plus is the bobbins fit into my DMS so I can use them there too. It sure helps so Idon't spend all my time winding bobbins. Judy

I just wanted to thank everyone for responding to my questions. I did get my George and I love it! I've been practicing every chance I get and I'm going to start a small whole quilt to try to get myself more relaxed when working on something other than a scrap. Funny how my stitches are consistent in size on an old scrap, but get little bitty when it is not just a scrap! :) So,... I'm doing some deep breathing too!!

Archived