UPDATE: I got the Machine Moved!

quiltmonkey

Update: My DH is out of town for a week, so I called a friend of ours tonight (Thursday) and he came right over and helped me dismantle and move the machine to the new place. It took a couple of hours but it is done now. :) There is no way I could have figured this out myself. He was right on it with the tools and knew exactly what to do. I am grateful for his help! Oh, and he helped me to raise my top roller bar so now it won't bump into my extended base. Yaay! :P

Thanks again to all of you for listening to my sniveling. Sorry about that. And thanks to you, too, for your encouraging words and your advice. It really did help me. You're the best!!

Shana

PS: I still think it would be a good idea for APQS to put together a step by step list of instructions (with detailed photos) on what to do to dismantle and move the machine. It would be much easier than flipping back and forth in the "installation" manual to figure it out. :)

Old news

I am completely lost, dazed, confused and I have absolutely no clue what the heck I am doing. I am starting to get very discouraged. I am about to cry a big boo hoo. There is nothing in the Owners Manual on how to do this.

What I want to do is dismantle the machine enough to move it to the next building (my newly built studio next door). I have no idea where to begin and what I need to do to dismantle the table so I can move it safely.

I put the table together following the excellent instuctions, but there is nothing in the manual about taking it apart to move it to another location.

Is there a set of very specific and DETAILED step by step instructions on what I need to do? Describing a part or a piece or a thingy that's part of the table does not help me because I don't know what that part or piece is. Pictures of the parts and pieces and the steps and also showing the tools I need would be helpful.

Does APQS provide this information to their customers? I am trying to do this on my own so I can understand. Right now, I feel so depressed and helpless. :(

What I really need is step by step instructions for the entire process. I woud hope these are written in a way that no assumptions are made on your part that I am a whiz bang with a wrench and know what all the pieces and parts look like and where to stick my tools. Please do not assume I know because I do not. Can you help me? Thank you!

PS: I also need "very detailed step by step" instructions on how to raise my top roller bar a little bit so it doesn't bump into my extended base. I was hoping to raise this bar at the same time I was moving the machine because I know I have to take some parts off to do this.

PLEASE HELP ME!!

Shana

Hi Shanna,

Did you get an owners manuel with your machine?. If so you will have to work backwards . First the rails come off. Set everything down that goes together Then the motor from the auto feed. Then the machine head itself until all you have is the table. You will need a helper to hold one end of the table while you unscrew the other. Don't dismantle the lexan surface and underlinning ladder area unless you have to to get it out of the room. I hope this helps some.

Nora

Millennium

Nora, thanks for writing...

Yes I do have the owners manual with the machine. In fact, I followed it to put my machine together and I did great... But sorry... "going backwards in the manual" just doesn't work for me. It makes me even more confused. I am very frustrated.

What I really want are "specific step by step instructions" on how to this specific task. Going backwards in the manual just ain't gonna cut it with me. Instructions like "first the rails come off" will not work for me. I want specifics on how to take the rails off, what tools I need, where I need to put my tools, etc.....

I do not wish to "work backwards" with regards to the manual. In fact, I refuse to do that. It just does not make sense to me. I am lost.

I do need to remove the Lexan top. That I can handle (that is super easy) as it comes right off. I need help with the big heavy stuff that requires allen wrenches, and the other wrenches.... I really tried to do this on my own but I soon discovered that I look like an idiot and I do not know what the heck I am doing....... :(

Help!!!!

Shana:

Give APQS a call. I have had a Ultimate 1 and now a Millie and I have not seen directions on dismantling. If they have any ask them to fax (if you have a fax) or overnight. (Is overnight really overnight in Alaska?). I would take a digital picture of anywhere you remove screws etc. This way you can refer back to these if you get confused. I had to take the head off and change to a drilled axle (for the hartley fence). Which meant removing the top roller. You definatley need help for removing the head. I took pictures and it really helped get the head back on without to much stress.

Sorry I can't be of help. I know someone from tech support will have something for you. Best of luck on your move. Send us a picture of your new studio. I bet you are soooo excited.

Shana, I am so sorry that you are having such a horrible time.

Is there a possiblity that you can call the company and ask for help? They must have information that will help you. I am sure that a lot of quilters are lost when it comes to moving our machines to a different location.

Try to relax, get a good hot cup of tea, pen and paper and make that call.

In the mean time I am sending some big ((((((((((((((huzz)))))))))))))) your way.

Carol

Jeanne,

Thanks for replying. I had already read that specific thread a long time ago and there is nothing "specific" on "step by step" instructions. Just states generic things like "take off roller" or something to that effect... that doesn't help me here.

I want specific steps.

Please! Isn't there anybody that can help me?

I know...I know...I am being a drama queen here, sorry folks... I just don't know what I am doing....... :(

Oh Shana--please don't try to take off the rollers by yourself--those puppies are HEAVY and you already did the "healing foot" thing!!!!

Cheryl's dismantle advice only went as far as taking the head off--then she advised moving the table with the rollers still on "into the new space"!!!! You need a big ole herky man to help with this--or maybe two teenagers. How fast can I get there??? I'll bring my DS--he and his Pop had mine together in 3 hours!!! Hang on girlfriend--I'm coming!!!

Shana,

I really do wish I could help you with step-by-step instructions, since my DH and I went through the same process last March when I bought my baby. All I can do is encourage you that you WILL get through this, eventually, and your Millie will be sewing again soon.

If I wasn't leaving on a trip tomorrow (and not packed yet) I would work out what we did to dismantle the Millie. But what the others are saying IS correct, it can be done by reversing the setup instructions in the User's Manual.

I know you're frustrated with that advice, and if I were closer to Alaska, I would be at your door (with my DH to help!) in a heartbeat. But I'm not.....

Hopefully you will get your step-by-step instructions from APQS - you HAVE called Mark, right?

We're all praying for a good result for you, Shana!

Shana;

Be very careful, last year DH & I took apart my Liberty to make room in my house for Christmas Eve (we always host it and we needed to make room for the 30 plus people that were comming) anyways it took the two of us to do it because the table is very heavy and when you start to take the legs off to be able to move it if you don't have 1) somethng to prop the side up or 2) another set of hands to hold onto the other side you can do some damage to yourself or the machine.

I know you don't want to hear this but if I were you I would either wait till your DH gets home from his trip or get a friend to help you out when you try to dismantle your machine.

My husband has done this twice for me (what a gem!). If you want to call, he could talk you through it. Send me an email if you're interested, and I'll email you his phone number.

juliagraves@verizon.net

You don't need to take apart the silver ladder looking thing (do take the panto cover off), or anything on your machine head. It will slide off the end of the silver ladder table top after you take off one of the legs.

You CANNOT do this by yourself - three people are better. One person steadies the machine near the leg that is NOT coming off, one person holds up the silver ladder table top on the end where the leg is coming off, and the third person unscrews the table leg. Once the first table leg is off, the two people on that side carefully lower the silver ladder table down to the floor, while the person with the machine head keeps it from sliding down to the floor. At least two people help roll the machine head down to the floor and off. Set in on some two by fours so that the machine is not resting on the wheels.

You need to have all the right tools - allen wrenches, socket wrenches, etc.

Julia

Originally posted by Jushiar

My husband has done this twice for me (what a gem!). If you want to call, he could talk you through it. Send me an email if you're interested, and I'll email you his phone number.

juliagraves@verizon.net

You don't need to take apart the silver ladder looking thing (do take the panto cover off), or anything on your machine head. It will slide off the end of the silver ladder table top after you take off one of the legs.

You CANNOT do this by yourself - three people are better. One person steadies the machine near the leg that is NOT coming off, one person holds up the silver ladder table top on the end where the leg is coming off, and the third person unscrews the table leg. Once the first table leg is off, the two people on that side carefully lower the silver ladder table down to the floor, while the person with the machine head keeps it from sliding down to the floor. At least two people help roll the machine head down to the floor and off. Set in on some two by fours so that the machine is not resting on the wheels.

You need to have all the right tools - allen wrenches, socket wrenches, etc.

Julia

Please don't attempt to take the table apart without First removing the rollers and machine head and carriage. You could do some serious harm to yourself and your machine. After you remove the rollers you can remove the head from the carriage. There is a little black rubber stopper on the back of the carriage that will unscrew. Take that off, then the machine will slide off the carriage, just remember to be careful as it is a bit heavy. If you have the packaging the head came in, you can put it on flat on the floor and then carefully put the head into it, with the head basically standing on its face..... oh heck, this is getting long.

How bout I just come to Alaska and help you move this puppy?:P

Patty

Like Myrna said in her post, just give her a call, she'll walk you through it.

Thanks everyone for all of your help. I am sorry I am being such a drama queen. I think I am PMSing right now. LOL!! :P

OK. I am on my way home tonight from work. I will print out all of your notes/suggestions.

Tomorrow (Friday) I am home all day (it's my flex Friday off work) and I will call Myrna, too. to make sure I am getting this right.

I surely will not do this all by myself. I will find some young handsome stud to help me (and maybe even an ugly guy if he has muscles...lol!)

You all are the best. Thanks for letting me be a whiner... ;)

Washers. Get about 16 of them (8 for each side) for the leveling roller. They are about the size of quarters. They help raise my roller so I don't have to stop quilting 4" before

the roller.

My DH moved my machine from the studio to the living room last Saturday. He dismantled and re-assembled it all in about 6 hrs.

Would I have tried it without him? NO. Rollers are too long and heavy. I probably would have torn up my walls.

You'll get it done with Myrna's help. But I would still have one or two muscle men around to do the heavy lifting. :D

Update: My DH is out of town for a week, so I called a friend of ours tonight (Thursday) and he came right over and helped me dismantle and move the machine to the new place. It took a couple of hours but it is done now. :) There is no way I could have figured this out myself. He was right on it with the tools and knew exactly what to do. I am grateful for his help! Oh, and he helped me to raise my top roller bar so now it won't bump into my extended base. Yaay! :P

Thanks again to all of you for listening to my sniveling. Sorry about that. And thanks to you, too, for your encouraging words and your advice. It really did help me. You're the best!!

Shana

PS: I still think it would be a good idea for APQS to put together a step by step list of instructions on what to do to dismantle and move the machine. It would be much easier than flipping back and forth in the "installation" manual to figure it out. :)

Awww, Shana! I missed your drama! :( I knew I should not have skipped catching up on the chat when I got home from work yesterday, but I was soooo wiped out that I just changed clothes and sat down. Bummer! (Like I could have helped at all....) Everyone was great to jump in like they did tho, this is such a great place to hang out!

So now the important part....now that she's moved do we get pics of your new studio? :D

Congrats Shana! It is nice to have good friends with different talents than

our own. Whining is one of the things this board is for isn't it. We have

all been frustrated at some point in time and it is a great place for

support.

Michele

PS... I think you are one of the dearest people on this board. I was thinking

you were one of those perfect people who is always Happy. LOL now I

know you are human. LOL

Shana, good to hear you got it done. We knew you could do it! (We being those of us who didn't jump in with any advise at all!)

You did it just the way I would have though -- wait until my husband is out of town and call a friend. That's the ONLY way it would have worked for me! He's a doll but he's not handy.

My motor winder fell off one day and I was so happy my neighbor was home and my dearie wasn't! Neighbor came right over, found the right tool to get it back in place, then actually put the tools BACK where they came from!

Enjoy your new space. ~~ Eva

Shana , so glad it all worked out. You weren't sniveling you were just being human my goodness I am afraid to raise my front roller bar I think you are very brave to move it at all. Now we can hardly wait to see your newest adventure with your machine. you are an inspiration

Archived