I have gotten my friend and neighbor into quilting this past year. She has pieced 3 quilts and has quilted them all too! (I helped a little)

On the last quilt we put up I have no idea what happened! It quilted fine the first pass and then when I went to check on her to see how things were going the top stitches looked funny so I took a peek underneath and OH MY GOD! It was one giant loopy mess. I picked it all out and we started over again.

The third time around everything was fine again. Towards the end it happened again! Thankfully it was just a 12"by12" area and easily and quickly fixed.

I just had to share my bewilderment. Nothing changed, bobbin, tension, thread, needle, fabrics, batting everything stayed the same.

When you checked the top tension, did you check to make sure that the thread was still in between the disks. And the bobbin case was threaded correctly and that the bobbin was in the correct way, and not pulling off the wrong way....I've done that and didn't realize it till the mess appreared.

All I can think of, you covered the rest.:)

Judy,

Whenever I get big "loopies" as you describe, it's usually caused by a problem with the thread path, either on the top thread or the bobbin. In addition, a tiny speck of lint in the wrong place, or a bad needle, can do it as well.

If it happens again, here are a few steps to try:

[*] Unthread and re-thread the machine. Be sure to pull the thread snugly between the tension disks. Pull on the thread after it's through the needle's eye, and observe how it feeds off the spool.

[*] Make sure it's not catching on anything or puddling down, which can make the thread pop out of the tension disks for a bit. If this happens, the slack in the thread can pull the thread out of the disks, and then once the slack is taken up as you sew, the thread snaps back into the disks before you even notice it popped out.

[*] Remove the bobbin case and give it a thorough cleaning. Check for lint under the tension finger by sliding a pin carefully under it or use another piece of thread to "floss" under the tension finger.

[*] Check the bobbin itself. Is it wound properly? Push on the thread to make sure it feels firm in the bobbin and not spongy. Double check that you've inserted it into the case and that it's spinning clockwise when you pull the thread tail.

[*] Turn your attention to the hook area. Look for lint build up, especially in the "race way" where the silver part meets the darker part. Watch for a loose thread caught in the bobbin. Rotate the flywheel by hand and blow compressed air into the hook area to dislodge hidden lint.

[*] Insert the case into the hook, making sure to keep the bobbin's thread tail out of the way. Don't catch it under the lever used to remove the bobbin.

[*] After checking all of those things, pull on the top thread and bobbin thread together, and see if each pulls smoothly and steadily before proceeding. Readjust the tension settings or review the cleaning/threading steps if they feel out of sync.

[*] Finally observe your little quilter to make sure she's moving as much as possible at a steady pace, and in the right direction. If her movements are a bit more jerky, try putting in a larger needle to reduce the impact of needle flex, which will affect the tension.

Congratulations on teaching another generation how to quilt! More of us need to pass on the torch. Way to go!

Dawn

When I have had loopies - or nests - it's been because my spring-thing in the bobbin needed to be adjusted or replaced. It would be fine - then wham - a mess.

Unfortunetly for me, all my bobbin things wore out about the same time. Took me 2 weeks to figure it out. Once I replaced them - no problems. What a relief.

Archived