On Track Mag Mentions "No false Back"

Ladies in the On Track Magazine just under the heading of the catagories of the Next show it mentions

"False backs will be disqualified" or something like that.

I don't even know what the heck they are talking about. Maybe wearable?

Could someone help me understand this term? It is a new one for me.

Thanks Grammie

GRAMMIE: I HOPE THIS HELPS EXPLAIN IT. I FOUND THIS ON A QUILTING WEBSITE.

Use a false back. Quilting and embellishment can distort the finished quilt, especially if there is more quilting in some places than others (ie an uneven density of stitching). When learning how to free motion quilt, the stitching on top might look a whole lot better than the stitching on the back, plus the tension might not be very good on the back, causing some distortion.

Depending on the type of batting used, you can quilt the top to just the batting (needle-punched cotton works best for this) or you can quilt the top to what I call a "false back" - a lightweight woven fabric. After the quilting or embellishing is finished, square up the quilt and layer it with the real backing fabric. Connect these layers with simple stitching in the ditch between blocks or outline elements in the design.

I quilted a "false back" on an art quilt last year and yep, it was disqualified from some shows. The quilt had layers and layers of thread work, overlays of sheer fabrics with more layers of thread work, more thread work where I just got carried away :D having fun. The original back was only a muslin fabric and pretty ugly after all that heavy quilting. So then, when I was mostly finished, I reloaded that quilt on as the "top" over a beautiful new "backing fabric" and quilted some simple finishing lines to hold it all together with the new back.

That was considered a "false back" since almost all of the machine quilting I had done was covered by the second backing. It was how I wanted to finish my quilt, but for a show where the judges were not only judging the look of the quilt from the top, but the technical aspects of constructing and creating the quilt, it was disqualified for the simple fact they couldn't see my work from the back.

I'm sure I'll do this same type of thing again on future quilts -- just not the ones designated to arrive at a quilt show stating "No False Backs".

Happy Labor Day! ~~ Eva H.

Eva, that's really wonderful. I can see how there'd be a whole lot of stitching on the back too.... ;) But what makes the back so ugly? The front is gorgeous, and not just because you have different colored sheer fabrics. The stitching is artful and entertaining, so wouldn't it also be that on the back, muslin or no muslin? Am I showing my amateur here?

No, it wasn't very pretty on the back. When you go over and over the same area, especially with heavier threads, the tension gets out of whack back there. I kinda knew it would be that way and used a plain muslin which also didn't add anything to the look or feel of the quilt if it were going to be looked at from that side anyway, so I came up with some beautiful fabric for the second back to use after most the quilting was finished.

Grammie, I'm sure there are more places than not where the idea of a false back is totally acceptable. Just check with the rules before entering and if you are making it for a specific show or competition read before deciding how you want to proceed. First and foremost though, in your own studio where you are creating your own idea of a quilt, do whatever you have in mind! If it's YOUR quilt and you are making it for YOU, then anything goes!

But if you are entering a quilt in any competition, fair or show then you really have to read all the rules for that event. They all have specific details concerning not only the possible construction and quilting methods used, but how to send photos, where the label goes, how to indicate the top or bottom of the quilt as you intended it to be hung, and on and on... :)

I had one quilt this year, made by a friend and quilted by myself, and for every place it was shown there was a different name for exhibitor. I was so embarrased when we went to the State Fair and only my name was on "our" quilt. But they only displayed the name of the exhibitor, (person delivering/picking up the quilt for show) and not the names of the makers and quilters unless they were also the person "showing" the quilt.

It went to one fair and had to have a fabric label attached by sewing (this was specified), it couldn't be fused or attached by any other method, and also, it had to be covered up so the judges wouldn't know who made the quilt until after the judging. At another fair they had a volunteer who was pinning pieces of paper over the labels as they came in. Another fair didn't seem to mind either way.

The same quilt has a hanging sleeve, but for the next show that it's going to, we have to add a second hanging sleeve because of a size restriction. The quilt can be any size at this show but can only hang 90" inches from the floor. This quilt was too large for another show that we had been planning to enter. We didn't catch that they had changed their rules this year and our quilt was too long on one side to fit in the show.

This year was the first year that I had to learn how to make a photo CD to enter a competition. That was the only way they were accepting applications. Wow, something new and different for every one. Reallly, it's just part of the fun! [but, I can't wait until that little guy of mine gets the hang of all this digital, computer stuff and can do it for me. :P Before he gets out of First Grade I hope!]

Thanks for chatting, but I'd better go get some work done before the picnic starts. That's why they call it Labor Day, right?

~~ Eva

Guest Linda S

This was posted on Machine Quilting Professionals this morning. I hope this clears things up!

"False Back" rule for MQS 2008

Posted by: "Carol Wiles" Finalstitch@yahoo.com finalstitch

Date: Mon Sep 3, 2007 9:32 pm ((PDT))

Hi all,

I hope that I can clarify the "False Back" rule for MQS 2008.

IMQA/MQS will disqualify any entry that has a false back on quilts.

False backs were gaining in popularity a couple of years ago as a way

to hide thread problems. When the quilt entries are being judged,

the thread tension is one thing that is also considered. A false

back on a quilt tends to make a judge think that there are thread

tension issues that are being covered up. All quilted entries,

quilts and wearables, should have a beautiful edge finish and

beautiful backs....so thread tension issues should be corrected and

not covered up with a false backing.

Wearables may be quilted with the quilted backing showing as a

lining or with a seperate lining. I like to see a beautiful lining

in quilted garments and feel that the garment hangs much nicer and

also wears better. So, yes, you may use a seperate lining in the

wearables category. A wearable entry can also have the lining

quilted into the garment and use other piecing techniques for joining

the seams. I am sure that there are entires in the Miscellaneous

category that need to have a lining also. A lining is not

considered to be a "false back". All garments should have a

beautiful seam finish.

On another note, IMQA/MQS will no longer move entries into a

different category. We feel that the responsibility should lie with

the entrant. So, please read the category descriptions carefully and

be sure that your entries fit the description. Make the quilt to fit

the category; not the category to fit your previously completed

quilt.

Please let me know if you have further questions about entries for

MQS 2008. I will be happy to answer your quetions.

Carol Wiles

MQS Quilt Chairperson

finalstitch@yahoo.com

Thanks so much for all the infomation provided. Really appreciate it.

As far as catagory from a newbie's standpoint I think it is nice when help is given as to what catagory. My reasoning is many of us begin our quilts long before the rules are posted. In some cases we do have to figure out what catagory if we use lots of techniques. Some catagories kinda speak for themselves.

It would be alot of pressure to wait on the Show Rules before beginning a quilt I would think. So if we have an idea or a project we aren't really sure where it will be excepted if it isn't in a standard or norm catagory. I'm no expert that's for sure. Very knew at all this. Just thinking about it.

Either way I'm excited about my first entry no matter what. It's not like I could win just fun to participate. When competeing with the teachers you pay to take classes with in the same catagories it's kinda intimidating for a newbie I think. It challenges you yes but it doesn't boost your confidence to well. I'm just going to do my best and not think about that. Besides if we all felt that way only teachers would be in the show now that I'm thinking out loud about it. Besides we all have dues to pay and experience to gain from competeing. lol

Hey Grammie, I watched the latest episode of "THE QUILT SHOW" and you know your beloved DIL Manda is shown frequently sitting in the audience...check it out! Anyway, the guest on the show mentioned her submitting her first quilt into a show because she was at a point in her quilting where she was ready and interested in the judge's feedback. I thought that was a very healthy attitude to have about putting your quilts into shows. You make lots of quilts, and you know you do good work, but you are now curious to see what the professionals think about your work. She had no intention of getting a ribbon on her first quilt but she did. Cool, eh? I think she has the right attitude about shows -- it's not about the winning as much as it is about the feedback you get. You can only improve if you know what to improve on, right? So, Grammie, I have seen your pretty quilty stuff and you are ready for the next level. I'll bet you knock their socks of!

Hi all,

I'm glad to see the remarks about this topic. Thanks Linda, for posting my message from another site. I try to keep up with the different lists that I'm on (6 of them) and sometimes it's tough to remember where I said what....LOL

Anyway, the category rules for the next MQS show are published in On Track! magazine in the 1st issue after the show. So members of IMQA get a heads up on the rules. I did not publish the bit about not moving the entries into a different category in On Track! yet, so you all get a heads up along with the people on the other list.

Here's another thing that we are working on.....IMQA members will get to register for class early this year. Our goal is to have the Class and Events catalog out so that members can enroll for classes beginning Dec. 1st whereas non-members will have to wait until Jan. 1st. Yes, we will be verifying your membership. If you want to join on the registration form, you are then considered a member and can register in December. Of course you can join earlier so that you received the Class and Events catalog along with the next issue of On Track!

If you have questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Carol Wiles

IMQA Office Manager

IMQA Membership Chairperson

MQS Quilt Chairperson

finalstitch@yahoo.com

800-980-9505

Archived