Practicing - manual or s/regulated?

While I've had my Mille for while, I am, just now, starting to 'practice'. I've conquered the loading (confirmed I was doing it right with the help of Shana, Linda and Dawn) and now, while practicing my stitching (such as it is at this point), I was wondering what stitch mode should I be starting with?

As well, is there anything in particular that you'd suggest that would make my practicing more productive? Should I start at the front of the machine or try and start a panto?

Hmm...is there a 'newbie' question forum? TIA.

Carolyn

When I got my Millie the first thing that I did was write my name! I used the stictch reg, set it on 10 stitsches per inch and just went with it. This endeavor is fun. Go with it and enjoy yourself. Be creative. After I played a bit i did begin to practice pantos. I have decided that they are not for me, but are neccessary for our jobs.

Good Luck and Happy Quilting!

Carolyn,

Practice in BOTH modes. You're going to find some skills are easier with the regulator, and some (such as teeny tiny stippling) are actually easier without it.

If you are trying exercises that develop your muscle control, first start in "manual mode." This reduces the "drag" that you'll percieve when the regulator is turned on. It gives your all your muscles a chance to cooperate with each other.

Doodle, make loops, swirls, curves, etc. Don't be quite so concerned about your stitch length being ALWAYS consistent, but strive for smooth curves and an even, steady pace.

Then, turn on the regulator and repeat your exercises. You'll notice a difference in the way the machine feels. By practicing in manual first, you're training your muscles to work together (your dominant hand has to learn to let your other hand help). Once your muscles start to "remember" the motion, then it's easier to learn how hard to push the machine as you grow accustomed to the regulator. Your first attempts at the regulator mode might result in flat circles, square waves, etc. That's normal! It truly is just a matter of more practice.

Just like any physical activity or sport, the more you do it, the easier it becomes.

Pantos are a great place to start developing that muscle memory. You can even follow the pattern several times without even turning on the machine! Just move it along with the laser light, practicing a steady pace. Look ahead of the little dot, and pretend you're driving your car. Watch for turns and curves up ahead. Use the line as a "guide" and not an "absolute" that you must stay right on.

Also try the front of the machine, and follow some of the exercises in the manual. Soon you'll be whipping out quilts like nobody's business!

Dawn

Hi Carolyn,

Personally, I would initially practice with the stitch regulator on. I use it almost exclusively with the stitch length 10 or 11. With the sr on, you can practice getting a feel for the machine, how it moves, etc.

With the sr, you won't have to worry about long and short stitches. Once you become comfortable with the machine, you could then stitch without the sr and see what method you like.

I personally like the sr on as I stitch many times without a definite plan in place and will stop/hesitate to decide what to do next. I don't have to worry about the stitches changing length.

Char

Thanks for your advice/suggestions and, equally important, your encouragement.

And, Quilting Lane, my circles look about the same! However, I remind myself that most of the award-winning, professional quilters, whose names we recogize right away, quite likely had square-looking circles, too, when they first started out. That means there's hope for us!

Carolyn

I would practice both ways because with the SR on you can hear where you are slowing down and speeding up. Then practice with the SR off you will have some idea of where you are likely going to slow down. You can then concentrate on keeping a steady motion through that area. I stitch mostly with the SR on because I don't have to worry about stitch length. When I am doing a small meander or micro stippling I find it much easier to work without the SR on.

Cheryl

I'm a newbie to my Milli but have had a stretched machine before. On my old machine I had gotten out all the practicing, or so I thought! Any way I've done 2 small wall hangings and a 2 yard play piece to get aquainted with my new machine. I used both sr and non-sr but I would say for me the sr option gave me the time to figure out what buttons I wanted to hit! LOL you should have seen me hopefully hubby didn't install a camera in the new studio, it would have been a real comedy act! I am finally relaxing and I'm on my 3rd wall hanging. I'm doing sid and I would say that has been the easiest for me so far, how strange is that? I found that my feathers were a little square so I loosened my wheels a little and I'm so much happier. Thanks Shana because it was one of your posts that gave me the idea to give that a try. I also did a panto and then changed threads and redid it to see how close or off I was. I did that over and over and I really got a feel for my machine. I found that I prefer to do panto's without the sr on.

Good luck.

Heidi

Archived