oh my gosh

ok everyone i found my pattern Larisa's Folly and i have the templates. oh my gosh it is paper piecing i have never done this before so i look on line and it says to use blank news paper print so i go get a roll of that from my local news paper then i have to cut 120 pieces down to 8.5x11 to fit in my printer then i have to feed the paper in 1 by 1 because it try's to suck all the paper in at once. so now i have to cut out all the patterns then i read to starch my fabric pieces to make it easyer? all 880 pieces the pattern has solid lines and dashes so which line do i sew on? does anyone have any tips or advice on paper piecing please help.

thank you

Whew!!! Hmmmm-paper piecing AND templates?? I'm confused too!!

Check at the library for a basic paper-piecing instruction book--Carol Doak is the Queen of paper piecing so look for one of her publications first. Ignore the patterns in the book and concentrate on just the basic instructions. Baby steps, you know! When you understand the basics, then get your fabric together and start the blocks. I would think the pattern you bought would have some basic instructions, but maybe not.

I'm so glad you were able to find the pattern. This is not a quilt for beginners, so you may need to ask for help at a local fabric store. Good luck Pamela!!

For the pattern, just print off one of each pattern you need and then

use your DSM with no thread to make the rest of them.

(I found old phonebooks useful and recycled them this way)

I couldn't tell you were to start without looking at the pattern. Sometimes

they are numbered or you could number them yourself.

Paper piecing isn't hard once you figure it out. Maybe someone else

can explain the sewing part. You could try going to the library and

see if they have books with pictures. That always helps.

Sorry I wasn't more helpful

Michele

Oh, i don't think you need to bother with the newspaper print and cutting down to letter size paper. When I do paper piecing, I use regular stock paper that you buy at any office supply store by the ream, and I just photo copy the paper piecing pattern on there. Paper piecing is very simple. The advice on getting books from the library or local quilt shop are good. You can also stop by your local quilt shop and show them your paper piecing pattern and they could explain to you how to do it. It's not difficult. You can do it! :)

In paper piecing, usually the dotted lines indicate where you are to stitch with the machine and the solid lines indicate where you are to cut. The instructions with the pattern should tell you. I usually reduce my stitch length to 1.2 so the paper is perforated and tears easily when I am ready to remove it. Oh, another thought is to use the Sulky Paper Solvy - you can use this in place of the regular paper. It goes through the photo copier, tears easy and is water soluable (just costs more...than regular paper)

Before you attempt this larger project, I suggest you practice making a few paper piecing samples to get the hang of it, first.

Man, what work are they trying to make you do?

Shana gave you some great information on paper piecing...

My only addition to what she has already said is if you don't want to use regular copy paper because you can see through it well enough....sometimes old eyes like mine play trick on me when I paper piece so I use clear Velum. It can be found in Office Depot or Staples in the paper section...its a bit costly, ($10 for say 50 sheets) but you can print on it and you can see through it without any trouble. Only thing is you MUST shorten your stitch length a bit more than 1.2 so it cuts the paper better.

I found a better paper than my copy paper! I bought a box of deli wrap paper at Sams Club. I take a stack of it, unfold it, and cut off one side with my rotary cutter about an inch so it fits in the printer and print out all of my pieces. You can see thru it easily, it is inexpensive, and it tears off nicely. I 'loaned' out so much of it during classes at the guild that I finally bought them a couple of boxes to have on hand. I've done several large New York Beauties using this.

Call me crazy but I love to paper piece!!! I just finished the Civil War Diary Quilt which is 121 /6in blocks. I don't have a pic yet because I'm going to try and tackle "stitch in the ditch" quilting. Anyway, I use lightweight Vellum paper (office supply stores carry it), it's a little expensive (35.00 for 500 sheets) but it's beautiful to work with. Don't forget when your piecing to downsize your stitches (I use 1.70 on the Bernina) because you want them to stay when you rip the paper off. Feel free to contact me if you need help with the process. I have a webcam or can draw up some "eazy" directions.

Leslie, do finger(nail) pressing. Saves time and you don't iron the print onto anything.

pamelad, whatever you use, don't use Carol Doaks' paper, it's difficult to get off no matter how close the stitching is and gets worse if you moisten it. That's what I used on my donation quilt last spring and I cursed it the whole way. :mad: You need something crisp, and that stuff is not.

Golden Threads is THE BEST paper piecing paper out there, IMO. :) But you have to trace the pattern. :o I just used it the other day and it worked like magic, but only for one block. I'd get writers' cramp for an entire quilt, so wonder if you can somehow attach it to stronger paper temporarily to put it through a printer.....? Anybody know this?

Jeanette, great tip! But how do you put it through the printer?? If it's as thin as it needs to be..... won't it get stuck?

I love to paper piece also. I found a great product called Ricky Tims Stable Stuff. It's available on http://www.rickytims.com. It's a light polyester fiber sheet that you can run through your printer or copier to print your patterns on. The great thing is that you don't have to remove it when you're done. When it gets wet, it becomes a soft thin layer of poly fibers that you can't even feel. It prints wonderfully and really gives you a nice firm layer to piece on. I'm using it now for a NYB.

This site http://www.quilterscornerclub.com/how_to_sew_new_york_beauty_1.html has some good basic instructions on paper piecing.

Hope that helps!

Chelley

I've made dozens and dozens of copies using the deli wrap and only had a problem once or twice - then it was a matter of jamming because I hadn't 'fanned' the papers so they didn't stick together. I run them right thru the printer, not the copy part. I fanned, then put a piece or two of regular copy paper to start them. I do stand by ready for trouble:-) Sometimes I will lightly hold the top of the stack so they slide off one at a time but not usually needed. Oh and when I cut them off I press the fold out with my hand doing ten to twenty sheets at a time. Let them dry in the tray for a minute before handling them and the ink is very stable. Just experiment until you find what works for you. I am getting ready to do another NYB today. I get 'anxious' if I don't have a piecing project going, usually two at a time so I can switch back and forth.

In all of this conversation, no one has mentioned FREEZER PAPER PIECING. Anyone done that? You draw one pattern and use it over and over because you don't stitch through the paper. I haven't done it but want to try it. There are instructions out there - including Quilters Newsletter Magazine, October 2000. Bet you could fine it elsewhere also.

Ann

Wow, this thread has gone places!!

To paper piece without making multiple sheets of the same pattern, using one copy, use a postcard or old credit card to fold and score each sewing line in sequence before you start.

Use a water soluble glue stick to adhere the first piece of fabric.

Fold back the paper on the first sewing line and trim the fabric to 1/4 inch.

Position the #2 piece and fold back the PAPER on the first line and stitch right next to the folded paper line.

You may even catch a little paper as you sew, but not enough to be a problem.

Fold out the #2 fabric and finger-press or iron.

Fold the paper back on the second stitching line and trim the fabric to 1/4 inch.

Position the #3 fabric, fold the paper back on the line and stitch as before. Continue through the block, and when you are done, the paper pattern LIFTS OFF ( you will not have sewn through ANY paper) and you can use it many times again.

The glue will rinse out.

No paper to pick out and no wasted paper either.

Whoever thought of this method deserves a big plate of brownies!!!!

I've done lots of paper piecing and I use golden threads paper or even cheaper I use tracing paper. It tears off like a dream and leaves no small pieces to pluck off or fight with after. I just stack up a bunch of sheets a bit larger than I need and then sew without thread to make the pattern. I also bought a quarter inch ruler which at the the time I don't remember from who, but it was on line. I use a postcard or a sale coupon you get in the mail. Just put the postcard on top paper pattern and fold over the paper, exposing the fabric. Lay the quarter inch ruler on top of the fabric and cut off excess with rotary cutter. The ruler has a lip on it and rest against the postcard for a perfect i/4 inch seam allowance. Good luck. Trying to attach a pic of my favorite paper pieced wall hanging.

Archived