Borders face in...or is it out??

I get so tangled up. What is the rule on this?

I really like to put borders on quilts. I think that it really frames the work. Some borders, like feathers, piano key, Egg and Dart or leafy vine look good because they are really non-directional.

But what about a directional border like hearts or paper dols or ducks in a row? I know that stencil companies sometimes provide corners and there is a right and wrong side. But what is the correct orientation of a border?

Should the design face in towards the center of the quilt or face out toward the binding? What do most of you quilters use a rule of thumb for border design?

Linda, I really don't know which is which, but I personally try to make the border lay in the correct direction so that when the quilt is on a bed or hanging that for example the trees are standing up and not pointing upside down. Hearts same way....points towards the binding side and the bumps towards the inside of the quilt. AND Ducks must swim upright...hate it when they have their heads in the water all the time.:P

Linda - Whenever I do a border with hearts and things like that I put the point to the inside. Also, if the quilt will be used as a quilt, I still put the feet on a good foundation, (seam of the border) I also do this on wallhangings unless I can put my ducks standing up around the border also. I don't like the ducks standing up on the top and bottom but laying down on the sides. Good luck, I have questioned this for many years.

Archived