WRONG DIRECTIONS ON LARISA'S FOLLY QUILT

Ugh! So sorry this happened to you. :(

If it is any consolation, one time I was following instructions out of a published book by a well known publisher and after I cut up all my pretty quilt shop quality fabric I discovered that the book had an error in it! I was so mad, I called the publisher and they gave me a $25 gift certificate (except the gift certificate was for one of their other quilt books!) LOL! :P

I swallowed my pride and bought a book from them with my gift certificate. Lesson learned for me: Sew out a few practice blocks first to test the pattern before doing the entire thing.

You and I are not the only ones this has happened to. I understand that many published patterns may contain errors -- I learned that lesson the hard way.

Pamela, I went on the web site to look up corrections for their patterns and they do not have anything posted. I find it hard to believe you are the first person to do this quilt since 2004??!! I hate it when things don't go the way they should. But maybe it will be even prettier when you are done then you could even imagine:) Good luck, Judy

This has got to be one of the worst things that can happen to a new quilter...or even one that had been quilting for some time.

I have a friend who at the time was a total newbie and who was using a published book from a LONG time published quilter. (the same thing happen that happened with Shana)...The receipe was wrong and this poor new quilter just couldn't figure out what SHE had done. She would sew and take out and resew and take out and finally she called me crying because she just couldn't get this block to go together. I sat down with scrap fabric followed it just like she did, but when all was said and done they had one piece to short and it threw it all off. But when we called to complain all we got was "it's a proof reading error", so sorry.... Well, I have vowed never to buy any of her books again...and haven't.

I had this happen after cutting an expensive lot of fabric for one of the Bella quilts. I went to the publisher to complain and found a big website that is nothing but corrections! However they don't make this public unless you complain, then its' too late.

You'll be surprised at whose books and how many are on the list. And C&T is one of the biggest publishers of quilting books.

http://www.ctpub.com/client/client_pages/corrections.cfm

These books on the website are only those that a user has went to the site and made a very strong complaint about. How many patterns are there that people just throw up their hands and leave because people don't know where to complain to? I know the Bella book and patterns had been out for quite some time and I was told that no-one had brought it to their attention before me. And I was insistent on pointing out the errors (multiple) before they would post it. Not just the Book and cutting/measuring errors but also their paper piecing pattern which is expensive btw. I guess I was p******** because I had about 65 dollars into the book and patterns (getting them enlarged) and then screwed up about $100 of material cuz I am one who cuts all and then sews. I don't do it that way now.

Jeanette,

Thanks for posting the Bella Bella quilt instruction errata web link for me. I have this book and (some day) I wish to make one of the Bella Bella quilts. So, THANK YOU for saving me the grief of discovering the errors BEFORE I started piecing the quilt.

Another thought just popped into my mind: I have found several quilt pattern instruction errata web sites in the past. Wouldn't it be wonderful if there were a central web link to all of the quilt pattern instruction errata? That way, if we have the book or pattern, we can pull that web site up first to see if there are any boo boos we need to know about before we start cutting up all the fabric! :P

Wouldn't you know it? I own about twelve books on that web site list. Agh. Ear marked it in case I have time to read or try anything from the books. Maybe if I am lucky, I will have a second edition with corrections done. Oh well. I wanted to get rid of a few books anyhow. I am going through magazines this week and cutting out the pattern if I want to try it and tossing it otherwise. Spring cleaning in the fall. Imagine that.

Beverly

This has happened to me a bunch of times, as well as students (they buy a pattern and say "it just doesn't make sense").

The books (thousands?) and patterns (hundreds) get printed and distributed, and how do you contact, or correct all of them? The shops don't know, the buyers/quilters don't know. Sadly it does happen, but hopefully not too frequently!

Cynthia

Sorry to hear you had problems with the pattern. Was it a direct copy from the magazine or from somewhere else? I emailed Larisa regarding the directions in Quilter's World and her response was, "As far as I know, there were no corrections to that pattern. Thanks Larisa"

Now the Bella Roma quilt was horrible and I had a terrible time when I made it last year! Live and learn.

Sally

Archived