SR stopping - could it be related to table width?

AnuGram

I've been having similar problems to others in S/R mode. I'll be stitching along and then all of a sudden the machine will stop or it will take big stitches. When I switch to manual mode, it works fine.

I was thinking it was happening at a certain area of the table and asked a friend who has worked with Millies for a while and has always been helpful in fixing my problems. She told me to measure the width of the table at different places along it to see if it was the same. Well, it isn't, but it's only off by 1/4". Is this enough to make the S/R malfunction?

If not, I'll have to assume it is an encoder issue. Oh, how I wish there was a service person in my area who could just come fix my machine!!

If anyone has suggestions, I'd appreciate it!

thanks

Sara

Be careful as it may be that you are pushing down on the handles in certain areas and that will throw the SR off just like it does if you are using a ruler and push down too hard against your extended base. Try holding your handles with just two fingers from the bottom through that area and see if it is still happening. jeri

1/4 in difference on the table is huge. Make sure you are measuring straight and not at an angle. The table spacing is set by the tubes between the rails. Did you get some carpet between one of the tubes and the rail? Are all the nuts tight on the end of each tube?

Did you set up your machine or have it set up? Has this been a problem or did it just start?

The new soft mount system and relocation of the front axle solved the leaning on the handles issue. I have moved the front axle on quite a few Millenniums. After relocation of the front axle you can not raise the back by leaning on the front handles.

John

Thanks, all.

Jeri, I am not pushing on the handles, so I don't think that is it.

John, my machine has been set up for three years and this problem has only been happening in the past 3 months or so. I will have to check the nuts on the table tubes. Gee . . . and I thought I was the only nut on the table:D

Sara

Hi Sara

Is the problem of the stitches not forming properly only happening in the area where the cylinder is 1/4" out.

If not, I would check that the small rubber encoder wheel that sits inside the larger carriage wheel is in close enough to the inside curve of the carriage wheel. If it is not turning consistently inside the large wheel the machine will feel sluggish or just not want to move and stitches will be an irregular length.

To fix this, loosen the gold bolt that goes through the carriage wheel and the encoder box chrome plate and push the chrome plate so that the small black rubber encoder wheel is in closer to the bigger wheel then tighten up the gold bolt.

Good luck

Sue in Australia

I had your problem and know just what you are talking about. I sent the machine to Carroll, IA and they beefed up the thing. That was after I was sent a new mother and daughter board which I installed and it did not fix the problem. After getting it back, my next problem was that it didn't matter what stitch length I set, when I went fast, I got 6 to 7 stitches per inch. Amy had me do a few checks and said she would send a new mother/daughter board. I installed those and things seem OK. My cutter would not work on a regular basis either. She felt it was all board related. Once since installing the thrird set of boards, the thing hesitated like it did the first problem but hasn't done it since. It's tough when things don't work as they are supposed to.

Archived