burying knots, a question

I've tried both ways and really prefer to do it as I'm quilting. While sitting in a comfy chair seems like such a good idea, it's actually harder to see all the threads that need burying and it's harder to pull them through with no tension on the quilt.

Linda

Great idea to sit and bury knots after it's off the frame, but I am OK with grabbing my needle and burying them as I go.

Patty, if it's a utility quilt for charity or something for around home, I would do the backtack. I use Myrna's up/down "9:00PM, 6:00PM 9:00PM" method moving the thread back and forth between stitches to make a knot with the thread. That works well for me and the knot looks nice and tidy. But if it's a customer's quilt or something special like that, most definitely I will take the time tie and bury the knot. The more I practice with this the faster I get. (still practicing...lol!)

To bury or not to bury. I do quite a few customer quilts but live in an area that I can't charge like some of you (0.01/sq. in. for pantos) so there's no way I am going to bury all the knots. I have been starting like Myrna suggested on a post awhile back (both thread tails held at 9 o'clock then do needle up and down, tails held down at 6 o'clock then do needle up and down, tails held at 9 o'clock then do needle up and down) she describes it better that I. But this really secures the tails especially if you do this so that when you start sewing you stitch over a few stitches that were previously stitched. Then when I end I do a little back and forth backtrack because I don't know if Myrna has a trick for ending. When you already don't make much on the quilting I can't justify more time burying ends! You can't even see my starts doing it the way I do.

So now, let me know if you think I am doing it wrong, if you think I should bury all the threads, what should I be doing?

Cher

Its totally up to you Cher how you do it....me I don't charge for knots...its just part of the quilting. Started out doing it that way and never even thought about it as an additional charge or something other than its just part of it.

When I have had judges look at not only my own quilts, but quilts I have done for customers...its always noted on the notes: "that its impossible to find any starts and stops." And that is reason enough for me to continue it this way. But trust me the quilting police won't stalk you if you do it another way.:P

Bonnie, that is one long needle. Did you buy it at a doll-maker?

Cher, though I did not understand your clock reference, I'm with you. I most always back-tack start and stop, just a couple stitches takes care of it for me. Most of the quilts I do are utility or draggers. I think that high-end (not light) custom or heirloom quilting would require knot & bury.

As would a show quilt for judging.

I did one that was going in a show and the customer told me that she wanted to knot and bury the thread ends. "Uh, OK, as long as YOU knot and bury." :D

If you are doing a panto or CC that would not be too bad. But what about a motif; if the stop and start are on top of each other then not too bad. But what about something like cross-hatch? It would take as long to bury as it would to quilt. Takes too much time. I don't want to work for minimum wage. :o

The other thing I don't like about burying, is all that thread hanging around sometimes gets in the way. I wound them around my finger and tried to keep them in one place but still a hassle.

I definitely fall into the "no tie" (or no time) group. :P

Linda,

You can pick these needles up usually at any good stocked craft store...like Michaels, Ben Franklins, Hancocks and Joann's. I usually get two packages of them, I always leave them around and can't find them when I want them....as big as they are you would think they would just stick out. No pun intended, but they don't.

I was just in class with Myrna yesterday and she did the 9 o'clock/ 6 o'clock thing with backtacking at the begining of quilting an area and at the end of an area. Hold the top thread and bobbin thread in left hand at the 9 o'clock position, tack tack tack, move the threads in the 6 o'clock position, tack tack tack. Put a corsage pin about 10" inches off to the left or right depending on where you are going next, wind the threads around the head of the pin to secure and keep out of your way. When done, tie a little knot, use a self threading needle and bury and clip.

It was very quick and simple. You can find the self threading needles at Joanns.

I think I got that right. That is my method at this point.

Archived