Has This Happened to Anyone Else?......

I must say, Im not so strict with my practices!!! It all depends if I am in a hurry or not. If I need the fabric "now" for a project, "now", then I don't prewash. But, if I buy a bunch of fat quarters, 1/2 yard pieces, etc. (you know, just because I cant resist), then I usually pre-wash. So far, knock on wood, I have never had problems with fabric bleeding. Sometimes I will not wash any of the fabric (like a grandchilds quilt or something), but then wash the whole quilt after it is done just to soften it up. Once again, so far no problems. I know it might just be a matter of time. I know that I will definately be careful when or if a customer brings me a quilt with lots of reds and whites.

I always prewash my fabrics. I also pre-rinse them to find any trouble makers. I am always amazed at the fabrics that look like they won't bleed, and then they bleed all over! I put a few dark or a few light fabrics into my sink, look for any dye, then toss them into the laundry basket (separating lights and darks) if they're okay. If they start to bleed, they get a few turns in the sink with the other bleeders. They then get their own turn. After 7 times of continuing to bleed, they get set aside for retayne or "wallhangings only". Usually it only takes a few rinses in the sink to get rid of the excess dye. I've had bad experiences with fabrics bleeding and probably go overkill to find any bleeders, but it makes me feel better.

Julia

Had the reds run in a customer's quilt once. If I remember right I had used some blue chalk to mark and some remained after brushing it off really well. I used a damp piece of batting with a touch of

Sew Clean and the red smeared into the white. The fabrics were good-I believe Moda and had been pre-washed in hot water. I took a q_tip and checked with plain water and the red came off on the q-tip. Called the customer and we tried several methods to get the red off including Syntropol. Nothing worked. Sent it back to her as she was not local and she tried several other methods with no luck. She re-made the bargello flag and I quilted it at no charge having refunded her money. She remained a good customer for a couple of years but has since started doing alot of her own quilting.

When I prewash I always toss in some scrap batting and a piece of muslin usually bleached muslin and check for any color change both after washing and again after drying.

Someone mentiond crocking. The darker Kona Cottons are great for crocking problems. jeri

I've been down with a Migraine since last posting. :(

Called my customer with the info from you all and she was just thrilled. Couldn't believe I had so many responses to help her in this situation.

I simply told her I had "The Best" support system out there. ;)

She agreed.

I'll post how this turns out as soon as she lets me know.

Thank-you again.

You all are AWESOME!!!!!:P:D:)

Laura

Laura - I hope she is able to get it to come out! It is such a pretty quilt!

Yes - let us know. I have been washing a bunch of wool scraps that were

given to me - full of moth balls - yucky smell!!

They have bled and run everywhere - and I was told that they had already

been washed before. I am just making a wallhanging with these wools,

but I am thinking that maybe I sould be using a couple of these things too!

Glad you started this post, too bad for the problem though......

While this topic is fresh, I think I may be in for a problem. If I mark the holly leaves on that red and white antique quilt what do you think is going to happen. The fabric is very course, loosely woven, and I'll bet it hasn't been washed in the 50 years she's had it sitting at her house. If I mark it with water soluble pen, and then try to use water to remove those marks I'll bet it's going to run.

How hard is it to freehand holly and have it all look exactly the same? LOL

I guess I could try the freezer paper template trick and just quilt around the basic holly outline, then go back in and fill in the details.

I'm scared to even start on that quilt.

Hi Teresa,

By all means, test with a piece of white cloth or a paper towel and water to see if there will be problems with bleeding--good call, as you never know!

Even if there is a bleed problem, use a blue marker and DO NOT spritz when you are done. Take the whole quilted top, lay it in a plastic laundry basket to support it, and immerse in a bathtub full of cold, cold water. I bring a couple of bags of ice home from the store and throw those in too.

The blue will instantly be gone. Drain the top by letting out the water and pressing the water out with your hands. If you have pink water coming out, treat with another tub of water--this time hot--and add Retayne or Synthrapol, whichever you think will do the job for you.

Lots of red and white vintage quilts are out there, so there must be a way not to be scared of these!!

Please have confidence that you can do these tops! You will do a great job on both--with more to come!!!

Archived