thread problems when quilting in one direction

kek

Hi Kerry,

Look down the main page to FAQ--which are solutions to common problems addressed by Dawn Cavanaugh--our illustrious Director of Education.

She guides you through various problems--look under anything pertaining to breakage and tension.

Seems like if you have issues with problems in one direction it centers around needle flex and perhaps timing. The needle may be flexing out of the optimum place when the stitch is trying to form.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

You didn't mention in which direction you are having trouble. If you are missing stitches when pushing the machine away from you then you could have a hook spacing problem (this moves the scarf away from the hook point). I am like you I think this topic has been posted, I guess just keep searching with different search criteria.

John

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by ffq-lar

Look down the main page to FAQ--which are solutions to common problems addressed by Dawn Cavanaugh--our illustrious Director of Education.

She guides you through various problems--look under anything pertaining to breakage and tension.

Where is this? I'm not seeing it? How about a link. The FAQ I see has to do with posting and board issues.

I'm wondering how I would know if the timing is off. I've had a few "ruler encounters" and needle breaks for no apparent reason. Seems like that would throw the timing off. That would account for my ongoing directional tension issues. Would that make a bumpy ride in stitch regulator mode?

Hi Cathey--

Look under FAQ--Quilting How To Guides under the Training heading--not at the top of the page.

Breaking a needle may throw the timing off, but adjust everything you can first before you undertake retiming.

Which direction are you going when you skip stitches? Dawn had a post about needle flex and skipping stitches. I hope you can find the info you need.

Timing is a job--but when you have done it once, you will never be afraid to do it again. Good luck.

I'm not the original poster and not the one skipping stitches. Mine is just a too tight bobbin tension when stitching right to left (free motion side). In other words, uneven tension that I can never seem to get rid of completely. It looks fine going left to right, but too tight right to left. Adjusting helps but doesn't eliminate the problem; adjusting helps to a point, but then it flips and ends up on top. If I must have it, I'd rather have it on the bottom. Meanwhile I have lowered my expectations and that works too. ;)

Kerry,

Do a search for "needle flex" through all forums and subforums. Uncheck the box that says "eliminate double posts" so you can see all the info.

Needle flex is a big contributer to directional tension issues, but several other factors also play a role, such as fabric that is too tight between the rollers and batting that is too thin.

Read through those posts and let me know if it makes sense.

Cathey,

If you've had a few "ruler encounters" and needle breaks, you most definitely can have a timing issue. When a ruler slips under the needle bar and the needle bar slams into it, it can cause the needle bar to slide up from its normal position (especially if there have been more than one "close encounter:))

In addition, any time a needle breaks, it has hit the hook assembly somewhere. That means there's a burr somewhere on the hook. Any type of rough spot or burr will impact the stitch quality, since the top thread must travel all the way around the hook to make a good stitch. If it gets snagged, even for a millisecond, on a burr, then the stitch quality is thrown off, or you'll have lots of thread shredding and breaking.

Refer to the photos in your manual in the Appendix titled "Timing your Machine" (or something like that) and see if your needle bar has indeed slipped out of position. The appendix walks you through how to fix it and check the entire timing process.

In addition, another appendix called "Hook Assembly Maintenance" or something like that explains where to look on the hook for burrs, and how to take care of them.

As for the "bumpy ride" in regulated mode, I'm not sure what you mean by that--perhaps you could elaborate more?

Let us know how it turns out!

Archived