12 or14 ft table? HF or CL?? Help!!

rcck00

You probably should use your machines a bit before buying the extras. When I bought my machine I purchased the HF at the same time. At that time there were no good directions and I am "quilting challenged" anyway. I\'m not artisitic. Anyway....I did buy the workbook when Myrna started selling it. I still was having a difficult time with the HF. I was going to take the plunge and buy the video, and sign up for all the classes....but somehow, ended up selling the HF and buying the CL.

Now, I know a lot of people that have the HF and very satisfied. For me, I\'m very happy with the CL. So, it may be something you could test too. I know CL has a booth set up at most shows. Since APQS sells HF, maybe they have it set up in their booth...you could compare and decide for yourself.

• 1 month later...

There\'s proof for the scoffers!!

I have used my grinder and welder on a longarm

I was, as Margie said, a little nervous that the owner would eventually wish she hadn\'t gone quite so short, but after much conversation and tape-measure holding, she was unmoved in her opinion that 10.5 feet was what she wanted so I chopped it down. That\'s been a couple of years and she\'s not regretted it once.

This woman had been longarm quilting professionally for many years though, and really had the experience to know exactly what her needs were.

As I say in the cabinet business, "I can always cut some length off, it gets tricky when you want me to make a board longer..."

Mr. Margie

Welcome to another newbie,

I am getting my Millie in the next couple of weeks. I had to go between a 10 or 11\' table (space limitations). I personally went the smaller or 10 table. I could have pushed for the 11\' but wanted to make sure I had a reasonable amount of space to work around - 10\' it is. I know there will be quilts I will still have to send out - but only a very few and if I decide to go into business, then I will only be able to do up to a certain size. I personally would have gone with the 12" if I had had all the room in the world. I have a good friend in the the business and she has not has any problems with doing just about anything her customers wanted on her 12\' - most people just do not make the huge quilts. She has been very happy with the 12\'. I know this really doesn\'t add much to what you are hearing, but having to make the choice of the smaller table, I know that I will be happy with what is best for me, not necessarily what is the biggest.

As for HF vs CL - I have studied and studied. Have worked with the HF very successfully, but am leaning toward the CL because it seems to do more of what I want - not because it is better. It really boils down to what it offers for you as compared to what everyone else has. Both seem like great products.

Good luck and hope to hear about your success - am so excited to get my Millie - right around the corner now. Have taken lessons but now am ready to jump off and do my own thing. Met with my longarm gal yesterday - went over my 13 quilts - picked out threads to order and talked about what I want to do with each quilt - a little scary but so great to know that I get to do all the work myself.

Good luck,

Meg:cool:

Cathy

I personally like having more space to move around my machine and want space around my quilting and cutting tables too. So for me a smaller table was the go.

Mr Margie

Fancy admitting that you used your \'blokey\' tools on a longarm. As long as it\'s not an APQS machine that\'s OK. Don\'t want to elevate our ever patient moderators\' blood pressure too much.

PS My DH tells me his tools are still on standby.

Regards, Judy

"blokey" ??

Is that Australian for "manly" ?

Sometimes you have to make a choice - shorten the longarm or extend the house...

I think Margie would rather I extended the house, but either require some rather drastic measures and \'blokey\' tools! :)

What wives have to guard against is when we start trying to \'improve\' something that\'s working fine already. That gets me in trouble sometimes...

Yes, Mr and Mrs Margie and our forum readers. You can add \'blokey\' to your travel dictionaries!

Regards, Judy

PS I wish I could understand half of the abbreviations used in this forum. Must search through archives. I think LOL is something like lots of laughs, but have no idea of what ROFLOL means!

I think Myrna is the Master of the Hartley Fence. I had one took the class and bought the book no luck. Don\'t buy it.

Buy the circle lord giant templates like the Swirls. You only need the stylus to use those. I have the regular circle lord unit but have not used it yet. I too another lesson from Micheal in Kansas City. Broken arm is slowing down everything.

Hey Judy,

LOL is laugh out loud, and ROFLOL is rolling on the floor, laughing out loud.

ROFLMHO is rolling on the floor laughing my head off. Quilt Monkey substitutes an "A" for the "H" there, but your guess is as good as mine as to what she is laughing off....

Do you live near the coast? Margie and I are trying to put together a diving trip sometime next summer and haven\'t decided where to go.

Judy,

Here is a the thread (no pun intended) where the abbreviations are explained....hope this helps...

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=9847&page=1#pid103734

Of course I will find this for you....for me....I stare at the abbreviation for about 10 minutes running every possibility through my head and coming up blank :o then I make something up that comes close and go on :D I need to post the abbeviations next to my computer....I would get finished reading these posts faster if I did that :P

Yes, extending the house probably would be more difficult than cutting off the table. I come up with ideas all the time. My dad was in construction so it was not uncommon to leave the house in the morning with it looking one way....and come back in the afternoon to find a doorway moved or a new wall up somewhere. My DH is not in construction so he doesn\'t get it when I suggest that we do something like extend the house :o He doesn\'t even get it when I say, "let\'s paint the livingroom", and he has been around me long enough to know to hide the paint brushes :D

Mr. and Mrs. Margie....watch out for sharks!!

I\'m a cabinet maker and a little like the cobbler with holes in his own shoes. Margie occasionally asks when we get new cabinets in OUR house and I always tell her soon, dear, soon...:)

We were a saddened when our youngest finally decided he needed to be on his own and moved out, but after a few days Margie looked around and said, "Hey! We have the house back!" There was room (with a little construction and shifting things around) for a nice sewing/quilting room. Another room became the game room with my snooker table and a couple of pinball machines. Goodbye blues!

Of course all the kids come by frequently for free meals (..read "daily") and they\'re still looking around saying, "Wow, that used to be my bedroom...."

And yes, Mary Beth, I\'ve heard that the waters around Australia and New Zealand are rife with sharks. Actually, I think that area is where the highest concentrations of Great Whites live. I\'m pretty fearless, but I don\'t mess with sharks...

Archived