Innovations 2007

ffq-lar

Well, I guess I didn't get as many photos as I thought!!! The Innovations web site will have photos of the winners in a few weeks and I know Beth and Bekah took lots of pics so we will see more soon.

There was only one entrant in the Youth category this year so if you know a junior quilter encourage them to enter next year.

As an overview of this years conference--I was told that there were more students this year than ever before, but man, the vendor's mall was hurting this year! You could actually enter the Superior Threads booth and shop without getting pushed or reached over! But that is not a good thing for the sellers, I bet. I imagine there could have been more non-students visiting the show, though. The entrance fee was $10 this year but you would have access to vendors as well with lots of wholesale prices. Chime in with comments, when you get home, everybody.

Well, out to visit my machine and try to finish the top that has been waiting for me since Tuesday!!

After managing to wind down a bit and start walking on the ground again, I want to comment on our APQS family.

Quilters have always been known to be happy, generous people--but our family seems to be blessed with an over-abundance of angels. Everybody I met was nicer and kinder and funnier than they are on the chat forum. Hard to believe, I know!!!

We all seemed to be sharing and laughing and this is contagious!! We hear of family problems, health problems, and customer problems, but we seem to help and prod and push and cajole and commiserate and pray for each other. I feel privileged and grateful to be part of this group!

Our group here in the Northwest is trying to figure a way to meet a couple of times a year. Let me know if anybody is interested. Sorry everybody else in the US, but we have had the best weather in the country for the last few days--warmish, clearish, and beautiful-ish.....we know because the "mountain was out". Next week it will rain!!!!

Linda,

I am excited about the possibility of meeting again with our Pacific NW APQS "family." Even though I'm 350 miles from you, I have family in Seattle and would gladly help with any arranging that needs to be done.

Just let me know when and where - I'll be there (customer quilts permitting!)!:P

from Innovations! I see that Linda has posted daily notes and has posted photos. You are on the ball! And, I want to say that those of you who live in the Pacific Northwest live in a beautiful place.

I had a wonderful first time at this show! It was incredible putting faces to names, swapping cards, hanging out with all my new APQS friends. It would have been nicer to have been able to introduce myself as someone other than the "lady who ripped the hole in the quilt"! But, it was an icebreaker, for sure!

Dawn - you mentioned in your borders class that you were looking for stories or photos (of bad things happening) to share in your classes. Feel free to use my "before" and "after" photos. It is definately a "what not to do" (advance the quilt with the needle down) example.

Patch - good luck on your quest for a machine. You are determined and motivated. It was good talking to you. Keep on singing......

Mark - thank you so very much for taking the time to talk to me about my rocker assembly (if that is what you call it). I will get in there in the next day or so and try to make some adjustments. It was very reassuring to know that I did not do that! These machines are awesome and strong. APQS makes a very good product!

I rode on the shuttle from the hotel to the a/p with a woman who had purchased her Millennium this weekend. She is very excited to be getting it soon! I hope she stops lurking (Catherine!) and joins the group!

I can't wait to get to my Lil' MnM and QUILT!!!! I learned so much! I want to try it all. One thing I learned was that a cone of thread weighs approx. 1/2 lb. Thank goodness I put all the thread I bought in my Innovations tote bag to carry on or my suitcase would have been at least 10 lbs over the limit! As it was, my suitcase weighed 50.5 lbs! Whew! No extra charge!

I'm sure more will be said but I will stop here. Just wanted to say how wonderful it is to have so many wonderful friends here!

I'm so glad that everyone is getting back home and the chat will pick up again. Some of us who weren't able to go have had to resort to talking to ourselves LOL:D and I heard a small voice answering me. Kinda scary, welcome home yall.

Linda, thanks for posting the pics. I hope that others will also get pics posted as well. And thank you for the shadow boxes. The delivery guy was quite nice and handsome (I think that you have a keeper there). I tried to thank him, but he told me to just chat on line with you...so thank you very much.

Congratulations to Claudia and Karen - YEA ! ! ! ! ! !:P:D:cool::)

Since getting my machine in January I have just been a "lurker" on the chat site, so I guess it's time to actually post something. I was able to spend a day and a half at Innovations and had a great time. I learned a lot and look forward to going again next year. It was wonderful taking classes from and meeting quilting celebs such as Karen McTavish! I now own an autographed book that will someday be worth hundreds or thousands, right Karen?!! (Or at the least my McTavishing will hopefully help me earn that much!) I may have met some of you and not have known-everyone there was so nice. I was the lady with the stroller and the 4 week old baby! :)

If you couldn't make it to Innovations this year, my advice is to try hard to get there next year, especially if you are a newbie like me!

Heidi

Hey everybody!

It's about 9:30 here, so the coffee bar is still open if anyone's interested.

I had the BEST time this year! Learned so much, and I think that I actually retained some things! I took so many notes that my pen ran out of ink. Mid class with Dawn of course, but thanks to those wonderful Innovations organizers, there was a pen in my tote bag.

Linda, bless you for taking pictures, and posting them. Mine are the old fashioned film kind, but I'll see what I can do about getting some of them up.

To everyone from the "family", be it a parent, (APQS reps and teachers), or child (the rest of us), everyone was so friendly, so helpful, so welcoming. And like most family reunions I got to talk to one or two people a lot, but missed really getting to visit with the rest.

Special thanks to Mark, Karen and Sue for letting us tag along while you judged the quilts. That was by far the least epensive class, and one of the most helpful. I'll happily volunteer to be your white glove person for any future classes. I've even been inspired to plan for entering a quilt of my own next year.

Beth

Congrats to Claudia and Karen McT. You guys are simply awesome. Your work, besides being beautiful is so inspiring to those of us working to get to that level.

Linda - OMG, too much fun. Great photos, thank you for taking the time to post them and give us updates. Hey, how about putting some names on those dinner photos so we know who these quilters are. We're bound to run into each other at another show.

About the youth entries...is there anything like a scholarship for these youngsters? I guess I should direct that question to Cindy Roth. Cindy sure knows how to put on a show, doesn't she?

I'm happy to hear that you guys had so much fun. These shows really get the juices flowing and the imagination going.

What an absolutely wonderful experience Innovations was!! I'm a little slow in getting back to the chat room but my head has been reeling with all that I saw and learned. The people were so incredibly friendly (the barista across the street volunteered that the quilt show participants were the nicest group she had ever served!!! Duh!!! :) ) Mark and Bob Purcell were such good educators, Dawn was so encouraging and enabling (I am feeling a little guilty about that PPP oath but I like identifying myself as a "toddler"--it helps with the wobbles and to be less critical of my attempts), but I was totally unprepared for Karen and Sue: not only are they phenomenal quilters but they are the most outrageously enjoyable people!!! :P :P :P And I am absolutely jealous and floored that they allowed my husband to tag along on their judging circuit. He's feeling a bit heady (but I know how to deal with that! ;) ) Thank you all so very much, especially Cindy for putting the show together and Linda for organizing the APQS dinner. I just had no idea how much fun it would be!!!

Caroline

I am so jealous. I guess God had something else in mind for me during Innovations. Like taking care of business out of state (I dragged hubby along so I could take care of him too) So, could we PNW longarmers get together soon so we can ooh and ahh over Beth's film pics and share with you what you learned? I really need some quilt time soon. Between my working out of state and husband's major heart attack, some quilt talk would be a welcome relief. And so....whatcha think?

Thanks for posting those pictures. You took better ones than I did!

I had a weekend of "experiences" of all kinds and am sorry I didn't catch up with any of you. You may have seen the dork who actually had the nerve to bring her child with her ~~ that was me! He was such a good boy though and I hope he wasn't a distraction to anyone. And, I PROMISE, he NEVER touched a quilt.

Love you guys. When I get more than 3 hours of sleep in any 24 hour period, I'll come back and chat at ya!

Zzzzzz... ~~ Eva

Originally posted by nineva

I am so jealous. I guess God had something else in mind for me during Innovations. Like taking care of business out of state (I dragged hubby along so I could take care of him too) So, could we PNW longarmers get together soon so we can ooh and ahh over Beth's film pics and share with you what you learned? I really need some quilt time soon. Between my working out of state and husband's major heart attack, some quilt talk would be a welcome relief. And so....whatcha think?

Nancy Jo,

We'll all share our goodies with you - the more we all learn, the better our industry becomes.

And don't fret about missing this year's Innovations - I was planning on attending last year (for my first time), but my son had other ideas - had to buy a used house and needed Mommy and Daddy's help to fix it up - but that made this year's even even more special. And there's always HMQS next May.....

Wow, Whew, what a wonderful three days!!!!My poor head is still spinning with all I learned. All of the teachers were fantastic, and they are all very human and funny. I came away with a brand new attitude. I learned to draw a leaf and now believe I will be able to put that leaf on fabric with my girl. She may even get a new name from Beasty to ? we will see. The APQS people were awesome. Cherly is just a hoot and it was good to see Linda A again after a year. Thank you Mark for the tips and help with my square feathers, they are still square but I have some more investigating to do to correct that problem.

Dinner on Thursday was so much fun and thank you so much Linda R for organizing it all. Meeting new people and putting faces to the names was so much fun. Of course the food was fantastic!!! (I suggest though that if you plan on eating your leftovers for lunch the next day, you remember to put a spoon or fork in the bag also. there is something very unappealing about lasagna that has been in your little bag for a day because you didn't take anything to eat it with):D

I couldn't have asked for better roommates. I so enjoyed my ride with Beth and getting to know her better. She is as sweet in person as she is here. I can hardly wait to see her "project" finished. It was fun to watch Patch become "engaged" to Lenni.

The quilt show was breath taking. To actually see Claudia and Birgit's quilts in person was like meeting celebrities. Claudia's quilt literally took my breath away and of course Karen McTavish quilts were awesome, just like she is.

I learned that you better make a list and check it twice before you leave your house though and if your husband is hurrying you out the door, tell him to give you an extra 10 minutes to cross stuff off the list. leaving your camera at home is not a very smart thing to do and having to buy a throw away at the Sheraton gift shop, means you don't get so spend so much at the vendor's mall:P

I look forward to seeing you all again next year. I will try to post pictures later this week.

Great photo! What a thrill it is to surprise a customer with such happy news.

Thanks, Karen for your great ~~ and FUN ~~ teaching at Innovations. I'm reloading a quilt today to do that darn SID before it goes off to the next show. Thanks honey for making me work my butt off today. LOL

QUOTE from K McT "Don't take shortcuts!" okay, okay, okay! I'll do it. No more shortcuts, I promise.

~~ Eva H.

Ooooh, I was wondering if we'd get to see Karen's quilt! This is beautiful, you're going to have a very happy customer! Congratulations!

Anyone else have pictures? I'm counting the days til the Houston show, my boss is already asking what days I'm going to want off! She must have it marked on her calender or something so she'll remember that no matter what happens I will be taking vacation time around November 1st!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived