Bobbin Winder

MleS

Hi All,

Read your posts recently about bobbins, most of you purchase ready made. But have a few questions.

1. Can the bobbin winder be slowed down? Mine goes so fast I can't control it. The thread flies all over. What a miess. Desperately need your help.

2. Besides white, black, where can I buy ready wound bobbins in colors?

Thanks for your help.

Emily

I've never had luck with pre-wound bobbins. I always wind my own. I have modified my bobbin winder a bit - I put a bobbin on top of the thread guide that comes off the cone and wrap the thread around it once. I also tend to hold the thread with a slight tension as I wind the bobbins. I think if you visit Sherry Rogers-Harrison's webshots page, she has a picture of the modifications she made to her bobbin winder. Mine isn't as elaborate as that. You can get colored pre-wounds from Superior Threads.

Linda

Emily, if you're referring to a standalone bobbin winder, you might try getting a rheostat cord for your winder. These are cords with a dimmer or speed control attached. They are used for dimming lamps that don't have a dimmer feature.

I removed my bobbin winder foot pedal and plugged the winder's motor into this cord. I then marked the slider to show what my favorite speeds are. The cord with dimmer attached does two things. 1. Allows me to turn on the bobbin winder and walk away for a few seconds to do other things while the bobbins wind. And 2. I can easily slow the winder down to accommodate those threads that are trickier to wind.

These dimmer cords can be found at most hardware store and one-stop shopping places. HTH

Hi Emily,

I do just what Linda does----once I have the cone of Bottom Line all set up and the thread has started to wind properly, I sort of "pinch" hold the thread where it starts to come off the top thread guide just above the thread cone.

This slows the thread down a bit, and adds a slight tension to the thread as it comes off the cone. Everything loads and stacks on the bobbin perfectly with this method.

I use a K-Kraft bobbin winder and aluminum bobbins from APQS.

Hope this tip helps.

I have the APQS stand alone BW and absolutely couldn't do with out it..you need a net over the cone, make sure the thread is between the tension disc tightly, thread thru one of the side holes on the bobbin, I hold the tail while it first strats until it twist off and then I walk away and go back to quilting while it finishes winding. With the tail being twisted off it eliminates problems while quilting. I use only Bottom Line and is so much cheaper than prewounds and I have just about every color they make. I had MAJOR problems with prewounds so I don't hardly ever use them.:cool:

I use pre-wounds almost exclusively now, because my bobbin winder drove me nuts. I am going to get a thread net and see if that works better.

I had a lot of problems with pre-wounds until I started checking them with the TOWA. I start out with all bobbins around 20 and then adjust the top from there. I found that having the bobbin super loose as has been recommended just doesn't work consistently for me.

I don't just use any pre-wound tho, I get Super-Bobs from Superior Threads. I am pretty much stuck on Bottom Line unless I HAVE to use something else.

Just my 2 cents.

Robin

I'm wondering if Superior Threads has any pre-wounds using the So Fine line? I prefer that to Bottom Line.

Also, my stand alone bobbin winder from APQS is a little difficult to get started. Would the dimmer switch idea work on this model of winder? There is no 'start/stop' button, only pushing the bobbin into place and clamping down the little 'thumb' that senses the amt of thread being wound so it will turn off automatically. Hope this makes sense. I have often wondered why APQS did not wire a lever-type switch into the winder somehow.

I guess APQS has been refining the bobbin winder for a while. I have the new turbo winder and I love it. It winds perfectly and I get almost as much as the prewounds. I did find that I liked the metal bobbin much better than the aluminum ones. It did take a little practice to get used to the speed of the bobbin winder, WOW! I can even wind my bobbins for my Viking 1+ on it although I do have to coax the thread on it a little to make sure it winds evenly and not heavy on one side.

Heidi

Originally posted by gracious

....my stand alone bobbin winder from APQS is a little difficult to get started. Would the dimmer switch idea work on this model of winder? There is no 'start/stop' button, only pushing the bobbin into place and clamping down the little 'thumb' that senses the amt of thread being wound so it will turn off automatically...

I have the same kind of winder and, yes, the dimmer switch/cord works beautifully on it. Hope this helps.:)

After reading your posts I wanted to make clearer my case for my winder. I recently (April of this year) purchased George from APQS and received this bobbin winder. It is a stand alone bobbin winder and has no foot pedal. It has a little lever which you push towards the bobbin when you are ready and off it goes, and it goes fast. As I said before, I can't seem to handle it. The thread goes flying, it does not go evenly on the bobbin and it is a real mess. As soon as I can I plan on buying the rheostat cord which Christine is using. I am also going to try the net on the spool of thread. At this point I'll try anything. Currently I am piecing two quilts as gifts so before I go to quilt them I will try your suggestions. Again, thanks for your help.

Emily

Emily,

It sounds like you have the same bobbin winder I have, the new turbo winder. You have to have a thread net on the cone or it will be out of control If you aren't using one then that is probably what is causing your problem. I also find that I need to make sure the bobbin is pushed in all the way onto the pin or it won't wind evenly. You also might want to try a small piece of batting at the thread where it goes onto the spool hook...I'm sure that is not what it is called but at the moment I can't think of what it is called.

Heidi

Hi Heidi and Jim and All,

Thanks for the advice. I shall give it a try.

As far as using prewounds - I like to match my thread on the back of my quilt with the material I am using for backing. Most of the prewounds I have found are white or black. For a king sized quilt I need five or six bobbins. Up 'til now I've been using prewounds because of my problem with the bobbin winder and the only way I was able to match the thread was to buy a dozen assorted bobbins but since I need about six of the same color, it gets to be quite expensive. I now see that Superior will wind bobbins on request.

I want to thank all of you for your help. You have been very gracious with your time and knowledge.

Emily

Archived