Question about quilt label...

JAB

I am making a baby quilt for a raffle for my daughters school. I'm putting quite a bit of work into the quilt top, well not a ton of work but more than what I wanted to do. I must confess it is not totally for unselfish reasons. I wanted to put my info on the label for a little bit of advertisement. How tacky would that be and how much info would you put on it?

What a great contribution! If you pieced and quilted it, I would put "pieced by Julie B (your full name) and professionally machine quilted by Julie B of(your business name). Also, the info about the school raffle should be on the label. Hey--you donated your time, talent, and money--get a little advertising too! Every quilt needs a label for the future to see. Also, make sure your information is on the description sheet for the raffle so more people will see it. Not tacky--just good business sense!! Post a photo when it is finished, please!

Any materials you use--fabric, batting, thread--for which you were not reinbursed are tax deductible. Maybe even your mileage to and from the stores and delivery to the school. Keep good records.

I am sure the school is grateful that you took the time and talent to do this for them!

Absolutely you should put a label on it for the back (as usual). And while you're at it, you should also print up a little paper sign (Pieced, designed and quilted by Julie B, etc...) and to pin that paper to the front of the quilt, too, so people can read it. Most people have absolutely no clue how many hours upon hours of blood, sweat, tears and love goes into making these quilts. You might write up a small paragraph describing the inspiration for the quilt, how you chose the fabrics, and even add how many hours it took to create it. They will appreciate the information you share, and I think it makes the quilt more interesting to folks buying raffle tickets. :) Think of it this way: You're not really advertising, you are educating!

I have pieced and machine quilted several raffle quilts for our church and put a label on the back of them.

On the labels (they were custom embroidered quilt labels) which had on them...

The name of the quilt (usually the quilt pattern that I used).

"Donated to" the organaztion that was having the raffle.

"Donated by Gecko Quilts, Mesa AZ, (then phone #)"

The year.

If you take the time to do a raffle quilt for someone or an organization then of course you should put your info on it, it is not tacky, it is a good business oppertunity.

I have made quilts for charities in the past and have always put my label on the backs, as I would any quilt. I also left my business card near where they were selling the raffles. On this site we're all quilters but most people are not and they might appreciate knowing where to get a real quilt. A few years ago I donated a wall quilt but never found out who won it. It sold alot of raffles. A few months ago I was at a friends house for lunch/craft get together. There were alot of other women there, many that I didn't know. I brought some hand quilting with me and had a woman come up to me admiring my quilting. She went on to say that she had won this quilt at a local raffle, how much she loved it and had bought lots of raffles to increase her chances of winning it because she was "uncapable " of making one. It now hangs in her home. I replied "you have my quilt", I think she thought that I had also bought raffles for it because she replied "sorry, I won it". I told her to go home and turn it over and that she would see my name on the back of it! She now wants me to quilt some of her tops. She hadn't seen my business cards and didn't know how to reach me. If you have a business name, web site, whatever add it onto your label. It's not tacky, someone might really like your work and want to contact you. DB

Absolutely put your lable on it! It's your art! :)

I just use a publishing program called Microsoft Picture It. You can make a ton of different projects. I just use The "blank" option which allows you to choose a shipping lable or postcard size of Avery lable templates..then design a lable to match the quilt. You have a LOT of design options and clip art. You can also scan design elements into the program for other use.

If you prefer, they also have ready made cards etc that can be modified to become quilt lables. I highly recommend it.

I also own the HP product and I find that it is not flexible or user friendly and clip art and design features are very limited.

In fact if anyone would like to buy it, I would sell it.

I will try to post pics of labels I have created for kid quilts.

Pat K

post--13461898550843_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by phx515

Absolutely put your lable on it! It's your art! :)

I just use a publishing program called Microsoft Picture It. You can make a ton of different projects. I just use The "blank" option which allows you to choose a shipping lable or postcard size of Avery lable templates..then design a lable to match the quilt. You have a LOT of design options and clip art. You can also scan design elements into the program for other use.

If you prefer, they also have ready made cards etc that can be modified to become quilt lables. I highly recommend it.

I also own the HP product and I find that it is not flexible or user friendly and clip art and design features are very limited.

In fact if anyone would like to buy it, I would sell it.

I will try to post pics of labels I have created for kid quilts.

Pat K

Those are darling labels Pat. I recently bought an embroidery machine so I'm going to try make a label using my embroidery machine.

Thank you all for your replies. I finished the quilt top today and I got the backing on my longarm. I'm going to quilt it tomorrow. I'll post pictures when I'm finished. :)

Originally posted by Monika

I bast my label onto my quilt back befor I load it, then It will (or should be straight) and gets quilted in with the top.

I like mine in the lower right hand corner on the back of the quilt. I have it approximately 1/2 and inch from the binding on the side and bottom. How can you make sure it is completely straight if you put it on the back before you quilt it? How much control do you have with where it ends up? If I could figure out how to get it to end up where I want it to I would much rather do it your way.

Julie, I use to have a customer request her labels to be put on this way.

She actually wanted her labels to be in the center of the back so that is where she would baste them, but that was such a dumb thing as far as I was concerned that I would take them off and with a bit of measuring and plotting I would pretty much figure out where they would be on the back lower corner.

They didn't ever get as close as I would have liked them to be...like you stated you like them about 1/2 inch inside the border...they would wind up about 2-3" inside the border, but it was way better than having them in the middle of the quilt.

I would take the top fabric and the backing and lay them on the floor...and with measuring tapes and rulers decide where the label would land on the back. I also took into account for stretch of the back fabric and moved it in about 3 inches from where I thought it should be....I always should have just left them alone because they did land further inside than I wanted them to be. They were there and the labels couldn't be removed which is what she was looking for.

Originally posted by JAB I like mine in the lower right hand corner on the back of the quilt. How can you make sure it is completely straight if you put it on the back before you quilt it?

Hey Julie, perhaps you might try what I do sometimes--- "on purpose" put the quilt label on a 45 degree angle, on a diagonal? Sometimes I do put labels in the corner and I kinda sorta think that it looks cool at an angle / on the diagonal. (something to consider) :) That way, if it's a little off or not perfect, it's not really noticeable.

Saudra -

That really is strange...because my system (Vista) says no way! Its okay because I have an older system that runs XP, and its fine on that system.

I have looked for Microsoft's "Picture It" called for by Pat K (pkx515) and gotten totally confused by what they say!

I think that I have to give up on what new on computers, and concentrate on whats new on Quilting!!!

Those are darling labels in the pictures above.

Name and phone number would be key on the back of a donation quilt. Like the idea of a descriptive sheet and also the business cards. How nice of you to donate the work on this quilt.

I'm a fan of embroidered labels and have used some of the fabric from the top to make them in the theme so they match nicely. Working them into the corner of binding gives a nice finished detail.

Vicki

Here is the quilt. The pattern is called Spinners and it is 50" x 54". I just did a meander because I was so sick of this quilt by the time I was finished with it. I haven't made the label yet. Well I made it in my embroidery software but I haven't actually embroidered it yet.

Each class has to do a "basket" and they all have a theme. My daughters class theme was for a Baby Girl. I decided to do the 1930' Repro FeedSack. I doubt most people that will bid on it even knows what FeedSack material was. LOL I may have to put some info in about the fabric.

IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

Originally posted by Jeanette

I haveta do a brag here. He does them freehand and some days I hate him!!! LOL, Mike is my son and he taught me to quilt but I don't have his talent for sure. His work is awesome.

Jeannette....you realize your saying fighting words:).....you can't pick on one of my besssstest friends. Don't care if you are his mum....I'll have to protect my Mikey.

NOW on the other hand....I get to say I hate you as well.....man you left me in the dust as well, ya punk. Someday when I get a chance to grow up I'll beat you in a quilt off challenge...but again that might just be in another life. Ya did good Michael, ya made your mom and me proud.

Archived